GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
Aircon you will need to pay for additional gas if a regas is needed, the machine will take out the gas and put back in the same amount. I've just had mine regassed last week as I didn't want to wait for the recall to get it checked.

Soldato
Delay the recall, it can be done any time and doesn't need doing straight away. 80k is another big service to do the fuel pump filter or hold off until 100k.

Already had my "80k" service done :D I bought the car when it was about 8 months old, but it only had 300 miles on it. I was putting on a lot of mileage by commuting in it. I wanted to be particular about the servicing, so it had it's first service at 1 year, but it only had about 6K miles on the clock.
Ever since then, I've been getting it serviced every 10K miles religiously but still following the scheduled maintenance routine, up until January last year, when it had the 7 year/70K mile service, even though it had only about 66K on the clock. In the middle of last year, I stopped using the car for commuting and my mileage has dropped, so I can revert to an annual service. So the last service I had was January this year when it had the 8 year/80K service...but I only had about 74K or so on the clock. Basically, a rather odd usage pattern has put me out of sync with the services in regard to mileage :p

About the fuel filter though....mine hasn't been done, because there doesn't seem to be an obvious serviceable "fuel filter" on the car. I was chatting with Scott at Abbey Motorsport about this when I picked it up from the service. There isn't an inline one, and apparently Toyota claimed that it was part of the entire fuel bucket assembly (this thing, which holds the pump as well...http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd89/deatschwerks/FRS_module_side.jpg), which had to be replaced. Scott had one of these from another car which he showed me and there was nowhere on the entire assembly that there seemed to be a fuel filter...the only thing we could find was a small foam filter sock, which didn't seem to be easily removable, and certainly Toyota didn't seem to have a part number. So Scott said that he'd simply omitted it from the service, rather than charging the extra labour to take the interior of the car apart and replace the entire assembly to satisfy the "fuel filter" part of the schedule, when there doesn't even seem to be a filter there.

That suits me - the car has only ever had V-Power or premium unleaded, and I've never suffered any issues regarding fuel flow, so I'm not really concerned. I'd be interested to hear if any other owners have had their 80K service done yet though, and if they know exactly what parts were replaced.

But returning to your point - yes, I suppose I could just hold off the recall until the next service is due. I haven't even had the recall letter yet. I forgot that they essentially have to drain the oil and coolant, so it would actually be the equivalent to quite a major service.

Last edited:
Soldato
Toyota have changed their service prices/schedules again to remove the "full+" and added the costs to the other services, obviously the £600 service has scared off a lot of people buying 5-7 year old cars. Unfortunately this change will have screwed over a lot of people who have recently bought service plans.

Only reason I was going to get the recall done was to reduce the price of my 6yr service, negotiated yr7 and yr8 as free services due to the screwup with my replacement windows. RRG have done something fuel related as Lauren's will be due another soon, hers has only been on v-power in the UK too.

Associate
OP
Aircon you will need to pay for additional gas if a regas is needed, the machine will take out the gas and put back in the same amount. I've just had mine regassed last week as I didn't want to wait for the recall to get it checked.

I was told they'd be re-gassing it with new gas, wonder if it just depends on the stealership :p

Soldato
All this talk of service has got me thinking now. I am having my 60k service next week with 52k on the clock (my services are also unsynchronised). I suspect the recall work will be whilst I'm on 53-54k. I am assuming they are just bringing forward the spark plug change instead of waiting another year.

@Nasher do you know if this ATS/Michelin offer happens often? I have 3-5mm on all 4 Primacies. I think I can get another 6 months/4k miles out of them i.e. just until winter, so could wait for another deal. Or I could order 4 now with the offer, but just ask them to swap the two worst ones now, leaving the other two for later.

Associate
OP
So, seems like I'm not getting an 86 for my courtesy car as they don't have one yet and I don't qualify for their insurance "requirements" for it :( (Even though I drive one already?!)

Not too fussed, as I get to have the new corolla for a week instead :p

Soldato
:p :p :p

Still makes me giggle that I have a friend paying £2000 for insurance on a 70hp Ibiza with a black box from 2005 and my insurance was £200 cheaper without a black box

A lot more people crash Ibizas. GT86s are pretty uncommon so probably have favorable statistics.

Associate
OP
A lot more people crash Ibizas. GT86s are pretty uncommon so probably have favorable statistics.

Very much true, but still surprising given I was only 18 insuring 200hp RWD! :D

Getting quotes for an S3 seem to come up at £1900 with an aftermarket exhaust and a map for the next car. Surprised me again given this time I have added an extra 10k Miles and have a non-fault accident declared

Soldato
Had noise measured at Bedford after fitting baffles in the exhaust, down from 109db to 93db (mine measured much lower but I know TDO's always go for worst case), much happier with that and will probably try an airfield track day sometime in the near future.

Internal refinements continue, stripped down the parcel shelf and all surrounding plastic trim to add additional sound deadening material, all rattles removed from there. Passenger side rear seat "door card" removed and additional material added there too, still got drivers side to do. Eventually will need to do the front but that looks like a bigger challenge.

Soldato
So, seems like I'm not getting an 86 for my courtesy car as they don't have one yet and I don't qualify for their insurance "requirements" for it :( (Even though I drive one already?!)

Not too fussed, as I get to have the new corolla for a week instead :p

2L version? I'd be happy with that if so. I have a soft spot for the C-HR too.

Soldato
The C-HR is actually tiny on the inside. It's like a smallish hatchback that's been raised up. I bet you couldn't get 5 tyres in the back :p

If I was looking for hybrid it would be on the list though. But I'd probably want an RC300h instead.

Back
Top Bottom