GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
It's not how shiny the workshop is which would bother me, it's the mentality at Steven Eagell dealers to cut corners wherever possible to get a car out of a bay and another one in as quickly as possible and hope the customer doesn't notice. The amount of times I've had to take the car back another day after inspecting the work done at the end of the day because they've either broken something, forgotten to refit something or ignored the job completely, blaming it on miscommunication between the service team and the admin office. On a job as serious as this recall I really don't feel comfortable letting any of my locals work on it as they are all Steven Eagell.

Soldato
It's not how shiny the workshop is which would bother me, it's the mentality at Steven Eagell dealers to cut corners wherever possible to get a car out of a bay and another one in as quickly as possible and hope the customer doesn't notice. The amount of times I've had to take the car back another day after inspecting the work done at the end of the day because they've either broken something, forgotten to refit something or ignored the job completely, blaming it on miscommunication between the service team and the admin office. On a job as serious as this recall I really don't feel comfortable letting any of my locals work on it as they are all Steven Eagell.

Oh great, mines going to the Rayleigh branch.

Edit: The miscommunication certainly rings true. When I took it in to get the light changed under warranty, the service team had no idea that it was meant to be a freebie. He called and tried to charge me, then got a bit shirty when I said it's under warranty, and said I might get a discount but it won't be free. The sales team put him right though!

The only thing that gives me slight confidence is that quite a few of the sales guys have GTs and they were going to be done first.

Last edited:
Soldato
So far the one near me have done my fuel pump (permanently cured the crickets), scratched driver's side windows glass and quarterlight pillar replacements all under warranty without problems. Also did the big spark plug service.

Soldato
I've already posted about the door glass, that took over 4 months to resolve and 4 booked in sessions, resulting in damaged door card, broken window trim, missing vapour barrier and a door full of glass.
Battery is still ongoing but they tried to charge me full price for a warranty replacement, then forgot to actually order the battery, spent 3 more hours scratching their heads because the demonstrator battery was also dead and to drive the car home I had to accept a random forecourt one. That battery lasted 1 year and 3 weeks and refused to replace it again.
They considered that job done. Satnav module they forgot to order in twice and thought wiping the software would fix it (3 booked in sessions).
Gearbox I threatened to reject the car over (wish I had now) because it got worse the more adjustments they made.

Only no quibble faultless repair I've had from SE dealer was replacing the rear view mirror, which at the same time they rejected the door glass warranty claim saying it was purely cosmetic.
RRG repaired the rusty quarterlight pillars no questions asked, done during a service.

Soldato
PS4s are about the best performance road tyres atm.

Those sound like eco tyres. Like the stock primacies, they will probably last ages but make the rear very lively (but maybe you want that, many do).

Last edited:
Soldato
PS4s are about the best performance road tyres atm.

Those sound like eco tyres. Like the stock primacies, they will probably last ages but make the rear very lively (but maybe you want that, many do).

The yokos were what the local garage recommended. As with most things car related, I'm completely reliant on others to tell me what to get. The only thing I did know was not to get primacies again.

Soldato
The Yoko V105 I believe are another set of OEM tyres that was provided for the TRD edition, they aren't that badly priced either.

That may explain why the guy looked in a book before he recommended them then. Does this mean they are slippy like the primaries? Or do they grip? Looking on blackcircle they get a C for fuel and an A for wet weather, which is the same as the ps4s.

Associate
More likely the V105 will be better than the primacy tyres if they used them with the TRD edition and 18" aswell.
I'd probably say the V105 can be compared with the Eagle F1s more than PS4s but then again I always see people compare the F1s vs PS4s.

Soldato
Sorry, I confused myself. You were talking about the 105s not the ae50s I mentioned. So many options out there to confuse me!

I guess as I do such a little amount of miles anyway, fuel efficiency shouldn't really come into my thinking.

Soldato
That may explain why the guy looked in a book before he recommended them then. Does this mean they are slippy like the primaries? Or do they grip? Looking on blackcircle they get a C for fuel and an A for wet weather, which is the same as the ps4s.

Those ratings don't tend to be too accurate. Lots of stuff gets an A or B but there are huge differences between them. I don't know what kind of car they are testing them in :/

The primacy HPs get an "A" for wet as well, but they are nowhere near as good as the PS4s.

You find a lot of cheap/budget tyres with high ratings as well, but many of them are pretty lethal on a RWD sports car. Especially when it's also cold.

Last edited:
Soldato
Those ratings don't tend to be too accurate. Lots of stuff gets an A or B but there are huge differences between them. I don't know what kind of car they are testing them in :/

The primacy HPs get an "A" for wet as well, but they are nowhere near as good as the PS4s.

You find a lot of cheap/budget tyres with high ratings as well, but many of them are pretty lethal on a RWD sports car. Especially when it's also cold.

Cheers mate, I want to get the best option. I'll speak to them about some PS4s.

Soldato
Might just be a loose chassis brace. I had that once, though might have been my own fault :D It makes quite a big knock inside the cabin.

Back
Top Bottom