GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
Picked it up, driving home.
So far so good, sounds better than I expected

Only issue I have spotted is the bonnet moves a little, I thought it might not be closed properly but is. It's flush but in wind at speed it moves a little. I think I need to increase the bump stopper things on the side

Soldato
Picked it up, driving home.
So far so good, sounds better than I expected

Only issue I have spotted is the bonnet moves a little, I thought it might not be closed properly but is. It's flush but in wind at speed it moves a little. I think I need to increase the bump stopper things on the side
That's a common issue. The bonnet is very light, and the edges lift a little at high speed. Bit disconcerting, but normal for these cars, so don't worry! If the bonnet stis flush, I wouldn't adjust those stoppers of you'll knock it out of alignment, but it won't fix the flutter.

I've just been in the footwell of my car, as it happens. The GR86 has the same issue as the GT86 - clutch pedal spring is too heavy and gives too much assistance. Fixed it on the old car by switching to an MTEC replacement, but they seem hard to get hold of now. Luckily another owner did some digging and found a spring supplier who had a part nearly identical but much cheaper. Picke done up, put it in today and problem solves - clutch feels much better now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Spot on, thanks for that info. Clutch took a bit of getting used to but im impressed. Drives great, gearbox is spot on.

Any recommendations for tyres? Tyres have tread but they are budgets put on by the dealer for the sale.

With regards to the spring, any pointers on where to source?

Last edited:
Soldato
Tyres, I had Goodyear Eagle F1AS5s. In stock size, the Michelen PS4S isn't available - only the PS4, and most reviews said that the F1AS5 was slightly better (and cheaper) than the PS4. But either would probably be fine.

As for the clutch spring....if you do a search for "GT86 MTEC clutch spring" you'll probably find a wealth of info talking about it. The only UK supplier I could find selling the MTEC spring in the UK was Tuning Developments on their eBay shop, for around £40....and they have had a shocking reputation recently. Otherwise, its ordering it from the US - but the spring itself costs about £30 quid, and most vendors then charge twice that again to ship the UK.

The alternative is here, part number - "LC 120M 03 S": https://www.leespring.co.uk/compression-springs?search=LC120M03S
This spring is the closest match to the MTEC dimensions. The OEM spring has a spring rate of about 150lb/in. The MTEC spring is rated at 65lb/in and the LeeSpring.co.uk alternative is 64.3lb/in. It's also only £7.09+VAT (although they charge a further 12.50+VAT for small orders under £30..fair enough I guess). So altogether it cost me £23.50 for a single spring - but its's still cheaper and easier than sourcing the MTEC one. And really has improved the clutch feel - it feels much more linear; when you hit the pivot point where the assist spring goes from helping you push the pedal in, to pushing it back up, it's not strong enough to give that sudden lurch upwards anymore. Much nicer, much easier to pull away and shift smoothly now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great, thanks for the info. I see it on their site and Ebay, but the alternative you listed seems like the one to go for. I might just go for it and do a few small upgrades, why not.

I'll wait for a few weeks to see how bad the ditchfinders are, then bite the bullet and bag some AS5's, not a bad price. I need to actually check whats on the front.

Soldato
A few updates,

Tyres ordered and due Sat for fitting. I didnt check the fronts when purchased, foolish, but they need changed. The rear have great tread but are some cheap brand I never heard of. Not that cold or wet here but its pretty squirrelly

Ordered the spring along with the gearbox bush and the shifter bush. Will get those all fitted when they arrive and see if it helps. The clutch really takes time to get used to it but on reading, seems its normal. Pulling away in 1st takes a bit of practice.

I found a Sigma Keypad under the glovebox, I assume Alarm or Immobiliser related, no idea what it does but I assume Subaru fit them on arrival (seen this before with other Subarus, lots of dealer fit guff)

I think I might get a reverse camera. The Pioneer head unit is pretty common, seems easy enough so might just get one to be safe. Parking this is comedy as I end up about a meter too far out.

Lastly, on a cold reverse I got a little noise/whine from the diff (I assume). I'll get it checked out, might do an oil change on the diff while in for the bushes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah the keypad is for the alarm system. Do you have the original documentation for the car? There should be a booklet outlining the alarm system and what you can use that keypad for, and it should contain the PIN for your alarm. I think you can do things like deactivate the internal sensors/motion sensors etc. Only ever used it once when I took the car to Europe on the ferry.

Soldato
Will it be sprinting eventually?

No immediate plans but it’ll probably be on standby as the emergency backup. It’s intended as a long term purchase though so can’t rule it out at some point in the future if the MR2 becomes non-viable at any point.

It’s Deb’s old car if you weren’t already aware, barely used 2020 with less than 10k on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Congrats to your partner, any future mods planned?

Nothing of any substance until we’ve had a chance to get used to it, just a couple of minor cosmetic things for now. She wants to swap the chrome badges for black ones and install the OEM side stripes.

Also need to add some kind of nav/improved phone integration at some point as it’s only got the basic stereo in it and I’m not a fan of hanging phones off the dash. Not sure whether I’ll end up trying to source and retrofit the factory nav unit or whether to do something aftermarket that adds CarPlay.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not a fan of the facelift front bumper on the GT86, but all the other improvements more than made up for it - better rear lights and spoiler, better interior, and I think they improved the stability control and the suspension tuning of the later models, too. Enjoy!
And yes, that's a cracking colour, your wife must have impeccable choice, much like anyone else who would choose such a colour... ;)

Unfortunately, I'm without my car at the moment, due to the most infuriating bad luck. The manual cars were delivered without parking sensors despite being on the spec sheet. Toyota were made aware of the issue and said simply to contact the supplying dealer whenever convenient to get them retrofitted, FOC. I also had a couple of dealer-only settings changed, so I dropped the car with my local dealer last Monday morning, took a courtesy car, and then went home expecting to pick it up later. I then got a sheepish phone call not long after midday - whilst my car had been waiting in the car park, a delivery driver visiting the dealer had managed to reverse into it. Scuffed the front bumper and dented the wing :/

I guess if it's going to happen anywhere, then happening on the premises of the dealership, where they have their bodyshop, is the best place. They have all the insurance details and are taking care of it all (including getting the ceramic coat reapplied when required). And having seen it, the damage is actually pretty minimal; but, because the car is still almost brand-new, they will be replacing the wing, rather than repairing it. Which is good, but the lead time on the parts was 2-3 weeks, +2 weeks or so for the paint to be sorted properly. I doubt very much I'll be seeing the car before the end of April :(

So feeling pretty dejected at the moment. The kicker is, I wasn't even that bothered about the car missing the parking sensors anyway :/

Last edited:
Soldato
Sad times mate, I always wonder if they just took it for a spin, but youll never know. Crap.

Any chance they will give you some form of compensation? I know accidents happen but under their care its suffered, maybe a wee free service at least?

Soldato
Sad times mate, I always wonder if they just took it for a spin, but youll never know. ****.

Any chance they will give you some form of compensation? I know accidents happen but under their care its suffered, maybe a wee free service at least?
Confident it wasn't that - they had the details of the van driver as they stopped him at the time, so there's no real way he can deny fault, and it's all going through insurance with their accident management now.

As for compensation - a free service would be nice, but I'd like to spend as little time with the car there as possible. Their car park on site is tiny and always overcrowded. It's rarely possible to park a car without being double-parked, or in the way of someone else, which is probably why it got clonked in the first place; I parked up as much out of the way as I could without blocking anyone, but not far from the access to their rear yard, and I remember being a bit anxious about it. For now, I'll be happy just to have it back in one piece looking exactly as it did before.

I do at least get to cut around in a rather posh (to me, anyway) Mercedes CLA courtesy car in the meantime. But, whilst it's a lovely car with lots of bells and whistles, it's an automatic diesel saloon - so I can't see myself setting an alarm to take it out for a drive on a Sunday morning like I usually would this time of year :D

Last edited:
Soldato
With it just being minor cosmetic damage is there any scope for you to simply take the car back and use it until they’re ready to repair it? Would minimize the pain of being without your car and reduce the risk of further damage whilst it’s there.

Soldato
With it just being minor cosmetic damage is there any scope for you to simply take the car back and use it until they’re ready to repair it? Would minimize the pain of being without your car and reduce the risk of further damage whilst it’s there.
I did think about that but they also said there was a scuff on the tyre (wheel untouched) so they will also be checking the alignment. Whilst I want it back, I've got the courtesy car now, so rather than complicate things by sending that back and then arranging to take it again later I'll just leave it with them until it's all taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom