GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
it'd need a VOSA test which is basically for cars newer than 10 years old.. but any competent importer can sort that out.

Basically the cons would be :

no warrianty from toyota uk
spec is JDM so may be different, they've got more choice than we did here
price won't be much different to what they were new here.

used market is unknown but I bet they'll be into 40s simply because of how rare/hard they're to get here and if the reviews come out glowing it'll be even worse - aka GR yaris bad.
Japan gets a lovely spec with a dark red interior carpet and accents. Shame we didn't get it here :mad:

I am really not sure I believe that these are going to be fetching the overs that people seem to think. I imagine some will able to flip them for a bit over the RRP, but I really can't see them being sold on for £40k. It might be rare, but it's still a relatively mundane car, not a Porsche 911R.
The whole point is that it's relatively cheap, if you're going to spend £40K on a flipped GR86, then I reckon you'd probably be looking at other stuff anyway. Happy to be proved wrong though, it would be nice to know I'm not losing much in depreciation.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think they'll certainly end up being flipped, seems to happen with everything now, most recently GR Yaris and 8Y RS3.

I'd be extremely hesitant to import in the early years of them due to the sealant issues that have spouted from the engines and the fact you'd have no warranty.

Soldato
Interesting.

A new GT86 in Japan is 2.8m yen for the RC, which by my maths based on previous imports, not including any VOSA costs outwith the normal process, would be £24k to £25k

The bit I might need to check is the sales tax. This was removed on sales for export, Im sure it was 12% but I think the rules vary depending on model etc.

I expect they will be hard to get that way. Used, they start at 2.8m but generally more 3.0m at auction.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting.

A new GT86 in Japan is 2.8m yen for the RC, which by my maths based on previous imports, not including any VOSA costs outwith the normal process, would be £24k to £25k

The bit I might need to check is the sales tax. This was removed on sales for export, Im sure it was 12% but I think the rules vary depending on model etc.

I expect they will be hard to get that way. Used, they start at 2.8m but generally more 3.0m at auction.
I saw recently an importer quoting £29k to uk for one…

Soldato
@grudas here you go mate, still a chance to nab one....

...a total bargain at almost double the retail price :o
Lister's must surely be up for Optimist of the Year Awards. No one is going to pay that.

Last edited:
Soldato
@grudas here you go mate, still a chance to nab one....

...a total bargain at almost double the retail price :o
Lister's must surely be up for Optimist of the Year Awards. No one is going to pay that.
Ridiculous. I’d be a in a manual supra at that budget… or many other cars. 60k is literally hoping someone with more money than sense comes along and buys that.

Soldato
Ridiculous. I’d be a in a manual supra at that budget… or many other cars. 60k is literally hoping someone with more money than sense comes along and buys that.
Unfortunately (or fortunately), it turns out it's just meant as a placeholder for stock contorl, so it's not a genuine advert.
The dealers aren't allowed to sell their demonstrators yet anyway.

Soldato
Speaking of delivery, emailed my dealer last night to see if they had any updates on the imminent delivery and just got the following reply:

Good Morning Conscript,
I have just seen your car go past my window on the transporter lorry. Adam will be in contact soon to organise collection, I understand there is a note to not have the car valeted. Did you want the delivery film left on it?

Excited Toddler Mode activated :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I specifically asked them not to clean it, and I'm not sure I'll have time to clean it myself before it gets dark on collection day, so you might have to make do with it being a bit of a state. It's been sat in a carpark in Derby for two and a half months, after all :)
Have you got a valet and/or ceramic protection planned?

Soldato
Have you got a valet and/or ceramic protection planned?
Yes. Not booked anything yet but I'm going to make enquiries about getting it machine polished and ceramic coated. But I'll probably not do that until the new year; after waiting this long for the car I'd like to enjoy it for a bit in the run up to Christmas and not have it gone again while that's done. So in the meantime I'll just give it a wash myself.

Soldato
Well it wouldn't be, if there hadn't been another **** up :mad:

I had a handover appointment booked for 1PM. I was literally putting my shoes on at about half 12 to go and get it and the dealer phones....Toyota Online had just phoned him, and asked them to ask me to hold off as "they are having problems registering the car".
I was told that I "should" still be able to pick it up later today, but that he would chase TUK to see what was going on, and get back to me. That was 2 hours ago.

The car is at the dealer, it has a registration number, and I have the drive away insurance certificate. I thought there was no way there could be another delay. I didn't reckon with Toyota Online though :mad:

Associate
OP
Well it wouldn't be, if there hadn't been another **** up :mad:

I had a handover appointment booked for 1PM. I was literally putting my shoes on at about half 12 to go and get it and the dealer phones....Toyota Online had just phoned him, and asked them to ask me to hold off as "they are having problems registering the car".
I was told that I "should" still be able to pick it up later today, but that he would chase TUK to see what was going on, and get back to me. That was 2 hours ago.

The car is at the dealer, it has a registration number, and I have the drive away insurance certificate. I thought there was no way there could be another delay. I didn't reckon with Toyota Online though :mad:
Nightmare! :( I would be asking for a full tank of fuel if there isn't one already!

Soldato
Well, I had a call from Toyota Online this morning after sending them a somewhat angry email last night. It seems there is a technical IT issue preventing them getting the Certificate of Conformity from Toyota Europe, which is the last step in the registration process.

Nothing that can be done but sit and wait until it's resolved. I am promised that this is a very high priority issue for them (I imagine it's very embarrassing, and rightly so), and was told I'd get a call back this afternoon to update me, whether the issue was resolved or not; but given that it's already 2PM, I'm doubting very much I'll be seeing the car today. In fact, I reckon the chances of seeing it for a while are probably slim. Utterly frustrating for it to be so very nearly in reach :/

On the plus side, the car was included in the latest EVO car of the year and performed brilliant - it came second overall, which is no mean feat considering the company it was in. Someone on the GR forums took screenshots of the article, so I'm sharing them below - they're a little hard to read, but they give me hope that despite the utterly shambolic ordering process so far, it will have been worth the wait :)

LkXYKZe.png
D1CoJLT.png

Back
Top Bottom