• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

D13

D13

Associate
Overpriced imo, but well I see I can get custom one for about £240. That's 'bearable' I suppose, but this shift in prices has really killed my nerd enthusiasm for these kind of things.

Associate
OK I am totally biased having just bought a Fury Nitro for £299.99, but some of these cards do not seem like good value at all.

Some of them over £300! The Fury will destroy these cards especially with DX12 and Vulkan. If you plan on getting an adaptive sync monitor then you have to factor in an extra £100 or so Nvidia tax as well.

Caporegime
Overpriced imo, but well I see I can get custom one for about £240. That's 'bearable' I suppose, but this shift in prices has really killed my nerd enthusiasm for these kind of things.

Buy one at £240 this year, and next year you'll be "bearing" an 1160 at £300-£350.

They want you to grit your teeth, and buy one whilst not really liking it.

By 2020, you will have worn your teeth right down to nothing :p

The only answer is to vote with your wallet. Don't moan about not liking it but buying one anyhow...

D13

D13

Associate
Buy one at £240 this year, and next year you'll be "bearing" an 1160 at £300-£350.

They want you to grit your teeth, and buy one whilst not really liking it.

By 2020, you will have worn your teeth right down to nothing :p

The only answer is to vote with your wallet. Don't moan about not liking it but buying one anyhow...

I know what you are saying dude, part of me just wants to ragequit pc gaming and play the big games on my ps4. My 660 still handles lol and dota fine.

But I want to play total warhammer and fallout 4 nicely, and the other big games. The alternative is to buy a gtx 970, but unless i see one for about 180 its just not worth it as they stop supporting it as much with the drivers. And i like to have a card for at least 2 years.

Associate
I know what you are saying dude, part of me just wants to ragequit pc gaming and play the big games on my ps4. My 660 still handles lol and dota fine.

But I want to play total warhammer and fallout 4 nicely, and the other big games. The alternative is to buy a gtx 970, but unless i see one for about 180 its just not worth it as they stop supporting it as much with the drivers. And i like to have a card for at least 2 years.

Could look on ebay for people who just bought a card, but want to now get a 1060/1070 etc. I would imagine some people would be selling their 2 week old 480's quite cheap.

Caporegime

As said, you could pick up a 390 for £100 2nd hand.

The alternative is to de-escalate this price war (war on consumers!) by not buying any of the newly released cards.

If you buy a £250+ 1060 you are telling them "price increases are A-OK!" and have a guess where that road leads to...

Associate
I'll jump in and say I ordered a MSI 1060. Bit pricy but I'm stuck on a GTX460ti right now so this will still be a nice upgrade for me and I really want a new card asap. For the games I play this should suffice. I'll have to cancel my pre order or the nitro but i'm an impatient baby. Please don't rip me to shreds ;_; just wanted to be able to game! XD

Soldato
I'll jump in and say I ordered a MSI 1060. Bit pricy but I'm stuck on a GTX460ti right now so this will still be a nice upgrade for me and I really want a new card asap. For the games I play this should suffice. I'll have to cancel my pre order or the nitro but i'm an impatient baby. Please don't rip me to shreds ;_; just wanted to be able to game! XD

Great card the msi, up there with the 980ti when overclocked.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1060_Gaming_X/27.html

D13

D13

Associate
Could look on ebay for people who just bought a card, but want to now get a 1060/1070 etc. I would imagine some people would be selling their 2 week old 480's quite cheap.

I rather get first hand to be honest, I always have this worry people oc card up the yin yang before they sell it.

As said, you could pick up a 390 for £100 2nd hand.

The alternative is to de-escalate this price war (war on consumers!) by not buying any of the newly released cards.

If you buy a £250+ 1060 you are telling them "price increases are A-OK!" and have a guess where that road leads to...

Well I'm not going to pay 250+ I will wait for a deal, (there is always a deal) . I think based on these prices, they will sell 'well enough', though msi and asus might see the market share go to people like zotac and other cheaper guys. The bottom line if you want to buy a new card in the region of 200-250 then you gonna get a 480 or a 1060. It's sad they cost more then they used to but thats the way it is.

Soldato

I don't think it's overpriced - it's much faster, runs much cooler and uses less power (so less heat..) than the 480.

Don
Has there been a write up anywhere on how Nvidia managed to keep power consumption so much lower than AMD?
Is it in the chip design? Fab? Other components?

Likely (but I can't 100% confirm), that 1060 was ground up designed for the 14nm process, whereas the RX480 was intended for the failed 20nm process, and then got adapted to 14nm.

If Vega shows better power usage (as it is believed this is designed for 14nm directly), then it will confirm this.

Back
Top Bottom