• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Soldato
Ok, I will ask you one simple question (which will answer all those questions you have just asked).....

Does Maxwell work in DX12 games?

I am playing Doom currently and my GTX960 4GB performs worse under Vulkan than under OpenGL. My mates ancient HD7870XT(which is a slower card),just got a nice performance boost under Vulkan,which surprised me as that is an old card.

Edit!!

Yet at the beginning of the year,Nvidia was saying how great Vulkan was:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/02/16/vulkan-graphics-api/

It all seems a bit weird.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am playing Doom currently and my GTX960 4GB performs worse under Vulkan than under OpenGL. My mates ancient HD7870XT(which is a slower card),just got a nice performance boost under Vulkan,which surprised me as that is an old card.

Edit!!

Yet at the beginning of the year,Nvidia was saying how great Vulkan was:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/02/16/vulkan-graphics-api/

Hey, take it up with NVidia - I don't work for them and I, like you have to buy my hardware.

Associate
Does Maxwell work in DX12 games?

no it doesn't.

It does, but it has to do so without any driver "optimisations" it could use under DX11 and without the A-Sync Nvidia was touting as it supporting from launch:

windows-10-launch-directx-12-advanced-api-support-640px.png

But then backtracked and said it needed to be implemented in a driver.

Soldato
Hey, take it up with NVidia - I don't work for them and I, like you have to buy my hardware.

Thats the thing,does Pascal get a boost under Vulkan?? Because I can understand the console affect with DX12 somewhat helping out AMD in certain titles,but AFAIK considering Nvidia has more say in the Khronos Group(believe the main chap actually works for Nvidia too!),I was half expecting them to get better Vulkan performance before AMD did!!

Its all a bit weird IMHO.

Having said that BOTH my GTX660 and GTX960 were well under £150,so even with a weaker pound,the current pricing is starting to look rather meh for the RX480 and GTX1060.

Might have to wait for some Black Friday offers.

Caporegime
It does, but it has to do so without any driver "optimisations" it could use under DX11 and without the A-Sync Nvidia was touting as it supporting from launch:

windows-10-launch-directx-12-advanced-api-support-640px.png

But then backtracked and said it needed to be implemented in a driver.

So it doesn't, if its not switched its not working, they lied.

"oh yeah it works, but were not turning it on now" pfft....

Associate
Thinking of getting one of these. Why are the EVGA cards so small? Are they designed for micro atx or small form factor cases?

Also, do these cards work with bog standard DVI (not familiar with all the extra initial versions) and is HDMI2.0 backwards compatible with old hdmi displays?

Caporegime
So it doesn't, if its not switched its not working, they lied.

"oh yeah it works, but were not turning it on now" pfft....

AMD have done the same thing. Does AMD do Conservative Rasterization? Does AMD do Rasterized Ordered Views?

These are also key parts of DX12 and will be things we will see down the road. Everyone is putting so much stock into Async but ignoring these other basic DX12 components.

Caporegime
Thinking of getting one of these. Why are the EVGA cards so small? Are they designed for micro atx or small form factor cases?

Also, do these cards work with bog standard DVI (not familiar with all the extra initial versions) and is HDMI2.0 backwards compatible with old hdmi displays?

They don't require much power (very little in fact) and so needs very little cooling. Great cards for ITX/Mini ITX cases but will work just as well in any case.

DVI will work and HDMI 2.0 will work with your monitor/TV :)

Caporegime
AMD have done the same thing. Does AMD do Conservative Rasterization? Does AMD do Rasterized Ordered Views?

These are also key parts of DX12 and will be things we will see down the road. Everyone is putting so much stock into Async but ignoring these other basic DX12 components.

I don't know that AMD did ever say it does those things or that it infact doesn't, no one is looking at Conservative Rasterization and if GCN doesn't support it very few ever will given GCN is the default architecture for anyone also wanting to develop their games for consoles.

But i'm not asking about that anyway, i'm asking about Nvidia holding to their promises.

Your detracting attention away from Nvidia and trying to make it about AMD. I have an Nvidia GPU, not AMD, they do not come into it.

Last edited:
Associate
UK returns is what drew me to EVGA but never used a dainty little card before ha. Wasn't there one brand giving 5 years warranty on the 1070s?

edit: Zotac have 5 years, not very familiar with the brand though. Dont fancy sending a card to China if it claps out.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't know that AMD did ever say it does those things or that it infact doesn't, no one is looking at Conservative Rasterization.....

They didn't. It was added later as part of 12.1 and afaik has yet to be used in anything other than a rather unimpressive tech demo.

Caporegime
Associate
Thats the thing,does Pascal get a boost under Vulkan?? Because I can understand the console affect with DX12 somewhat helping out AMD in certain titles,but AFAIK considering Nvidia has more say in the Khronos Group(believe the main chap actually works for Nvidia too!),I was half expecting them to get better Vulkan performance before AMD did!!

Not exactly. Doom didn't just go multi-engine and carve out a GCN rendering path over Vulkan: it also brought along a lot more console baggage such as async shader utilisation and shader intrinsic functions (which they used extensively on PS4 tweeted by their devs). So there's stuff under the hood that is AMD-only. If they hadn't done that, you wouldn't have seen such a crazy jump purely on account of using Vulkan.

The thing is, it's now the best example of what can be achieved with GCN. It's also a game engine that lots of studios will look towards for building their games, so here's to hoping we get more of this.

They are now working to optimise for NVidia, though I doubt they can get anywhere near GCN.

Associate
Zotac have the 5 year warranty. There is a nice MSI card (good warranty for £239 and that is what I would be buying if I was after one of these.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-32s-ms.html

Good warranty and UK RMA if you ever need it.

woo MSI have UK RMA now? I've had a couple of their cards in the past and they were very good had no issues with them. Cheers.

I'm assuming DL-DVI is one output that can go to two monitors, but just one regular dvi display should work fine?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom