• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 780 Owners Club

Associate
OP
Sorry to hijack the thread but maybe you can wrap this up for me possibly. Im totally interested in possibly purchasing a 780 in the coming weeks but was bamboozled by the different variants in clock speeds on some. (Mainly the EVGA ones) Is this just the fact that some come with different BIOS's set to a higher clock speed and that most will be able to clock to that degree anyhow?

Any info on that matter would be appreciated! :p

The EVGA is just clocked higher and sold that way. You'll find that all the cards will clock to that speed, and probably a lot higher.

^^^ Nothing special about the initial cards as far as I know. Can't speak for every card but mine and the other stock cards I've read about so far have been good overclockers as standard.

Soldato
Would an i7-920 be a bottleneck for a GTX780?

Contemplating getting one but wondering whether I should wait for Haswell and get a complete system rather than just buying a video card as I'm also currently using an i7-920 (albeit at stock speed)?

Associate
OP
Would an i7-920 be a bottleneck for a GTX780?

Contemplating getting one but wondering whether I should wait for Haswell and get a complete system rather than just buying a video card as I'm also currently using an i7-920 (albeit at stock speed)?

It depends on the game I suppose, but so far no, my 920 doesn't seem to be bottlenecking it.

Associate
OP
Cant wait for MSI 780 Lightening Power!!!!

Hopefully I will test one at Computex and let you guys know how this goes!!

Damnit 8, you get all the best toys ;) I was sorely tempted to wait for custom cooled kit, but I've got to say the stock cooler is really nice.

Man of Honour
Hello :)

pc_GTX780_held.jpg

pc_GTX780_installed.jpg

I'm running it on a 2500K @ 4.6GHz with 16GB RAM on an MSI P67A G45 B3 with the latest funky BIOS.

Soldato
Whose got some balls then, and willing to try one of the custom cooler, or superclocked bios on the normal reference card... lol :cool:

They all look like reference cards anyway, well same PCB, so surely they will all work?

Soldato
Got my 780 GTX yesterday, not really sure how to use EVGA's tool but with ZOTAC's tool I have matched EVGA's pre-clocked cards on the Titan cooler.

941 clock and 980 boost, not touched the memory clock just wanted to test EVGA's pre-clock. At stock I had 1244 points in Heaven and with EVGA's clocks I got 1333, almost 100 points.

Soldato
esoteric said:
Got my 780 GTX yesterday, not really sure how to use EVGA's tool but with ZOTAC's tool I have matched EVGA's pre-clocked cards on the Titan cooler.

941 clock and 980 boost, not touched the memory clock just wanted to test EVGA's pre-clock. At stock I had 1244 points in Heaven and with EVGA's clocks I got 1333, almost 100 points.
Did the cooler fan sound just as quiet as at stock clocks in comparison? Try 967? :)
mrk said:
No idea but I liek this ref cooler, it's so silent even under full load so I'll be keeping this :D

I've upped my core clock 100MHz without any volt mods, seems fine.
Nice good to hear, you tried 1000+ MHz yet on the core? :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
mrk said:
Is 1000 safe without voltage increases?
I'm guessing you got the standard 863MHz clocked one? I would just try increasing it in increments till it crashes, then you will know your max clock on stock volts.

Run Heaven benchmark to test stability, so +147MHz
esoteric said:
Yeah just as quiet and temp didn't seem change at all from the look of it, some free overclocking with these cards with no added stress.
Good, just goes to show any of the higher clocked reference cards aren't worth buying unless you don't want to play with overclocking. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Should probably mention I upgraded from a 470 GTX so obviously this card is a beast, I'm loving it. Half the idle temp and how silent it is... let's say my Fermi 470 is a vacuum cleaner when I'm gaming because of 100% fan spin, and my 780 is a vacuum cleaner being operated in China.

Man of Honour
I'm guessing you got the standard 863MHz clocked one? I would just try increasing it in increments till it crashes, then you will know your max clock on stock volts.

Run Heaven benchmark to test stability, so +147MHzGood, just goes to show any of the higher clocked reference cards aren't worth buying unless you don't want to play with overclocking. :)

At +147 it's stable on Metro Last Light, ran Heaven too and it had no problems!

Associate
I'm seeing +190 (1189MHZ Boost) on core and +500 mem without voltage increase, uppping the volts to +38mv only allows me 1 more core increment (1202MHZ) before locking up my system.

I'd be interested to know if upping the volts makes any difference for anyone else?

Soldato
Sorry to hijack the thread but maybe you can wrap this up for me possibly. Im totally interested in possibly purchasing a 780 in the coming weeks but was bamboozled by the different variants in clock speeds on some. (Mainly the EVGA ones) Is this just the fact that some come with different BIOS's set to a higher clock speed and that most will be able to clock to that degree anyhow?

Any info on that matter would be appreciated! :p

Just get the bog standard 780, All the stock models all clock to around the same anyway, Your only paying for the name and warranty with anything more expensive, Or greed, Usually greed.

Back
Top Bottom