• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 780 Owners Club

Soldato
Sorry to hijack the thread but maybe you can wrap this up for me possibly. Im totally interested in possibly purchasing a 780 in the coming weeks but was bamboozled by the different variants in clock speeds on some. (Mainly the EVGA ones) Is this just the fact that some come with different BIOS's set to a higher clock speed and that most will be able to clock to that degree anyhow?

Any info on that matter would be appreciated! :p

They are all the same apart from the OC'd versions which you can OC yourself.

If you plan on watercooling get the Evga one's as it doesn't void your warranty

Soldato
Does anyone have details of whether the card vendors will be coming out with custom card variants? I.e, that are binned higher / allow bigger overclocks?

Soldato
I think the smoother gameplay is more down to the drivers than the new card. I updated to the newest drivers and noticed smoother gameplay tonight on bf3.

Associate
I'm up and running with a slightly modified rig. Put my 780 under water. These are the initial results (also posted on the 3D Mark11 thread). Haven't found the limits yet but there isn't much voltage play unless an unlocked bios emerges. I am certainly not temp limited (Max temp 30 C):

Core + 200
Mem + 100

Core boost 1215MHz

P 14,781 with my 3930k at a modest 4.7 GHz:

This card is awesome and very overclockable so far.

When I get some time, I will squeeze more out of it.

Soldato
Was not overly impressed at first but after some fiddling and beating a few Titans in the heaven thread on stock clocks I have decided I like it.

EVGA 780 GTX.

Associate
It depends on the game I suppose, but so far no, my 920 doesn't seem to be bottlenecking it.

Hi I have a similar set up = have a i7 950 OC to 3.8. Currently using a 580GTX. Interested in upgrading to either a 680GTX or 780GTX to match the coming consoles (Xbox1 and PS4). The 680GTX should match the new consoles' GPU but just wondered whether my CPU is sufficient.

Question why I ask - it is whether to upgrade the system completely as my CPU and anticipated GPU (680 & 780) may not match the consoles?

Man of Honour
Would an i7-920 be a bottleneck for a GTX780?

Contemplating getting one but wondering whether I should wait for Haswell and get a complete system rather than just buying a video card as I'm also currently using an i7-920 (albeit at stock speed)?

It depends on the game I suppose, but so far no, my 920 doesn't seem to be bottlenecking it.

Hi I have a similar set up = have a i7 950 OC to 3.8. Currently using a 580GTX. Interested in upgrading to either a 680GTX or 780GTX to match the coming consoles (Xbox1 and PS4). The 680GTX should match the new consoles' GPU but just wondered whether my CPU is sufficient.

Question why I ask - it is whether to upgrade the system completely as my CPU and anticipated GPU (680 & 780) may not match the consoles?

Providing you can get close to 3.8 to 4.0 ghz on the CPU there should be no problem, I have run a GTX 690 on an i7 9xx CPU and it really works well.

Soldato
Cant wait for MSI 780 Lightening Power!!!!

Hopefully I will test one at Computex and let you guys know how this goes!!

I wouldn't have thought msi would bother after what happened with the 600 series? Surely if they do make some, it wouldn't have voltage control oob? Making it a little pointless?

Soldato
I bought the evga SC version yesterday. My maximum boost before crashes happen is +100 on the core which gives 1137mhz in boost and +340 on the mem which gives 3348mhz in afterburner but I think you double that for real speed so 6696mhz? It's not as fast as an overclocked titan but comes within a few points of one in the heaven thread. I eagerly await a bios that will allow a little more voltage because I've got a feeling I can go 1200 with voltage because it does some stuff at 1200 but then crashes after a while plus temps really aren't an issue at all with these cards.

Soldato
could i ask the 780 owners a few questions

1. how loud is it under load (games) 280gtx loud? slient? hum?
2. is it true you can set a max temperature and it down clocks to keep it below that?
3. are the drivers good already?

thinking going from 7970 to 780 later on. i know its not much of a upgrade but would love the idea of number 2.

Soldato

2. is it true you can set a max temperature and it down clocks to keep it below that?

1.) A whoosh under load about the same as a gtx 680.

2.) Yes

3.) Drivers are fine uses same drivers as 6x, Titan....

Soldato

thinking going from 7970 to 780 later on. i know its not much of a upgrade but would love the idea of number 2.

1. silent and I've got the side off
2. y
3. y

I went from 3 7970s to 1 780 at 1600p and the framerates are obviously lower but the actual experience of gameplay is a world smoother due to no microstutter. 1 7970 compared to 1 780 would be a cakewalk.

Back
Top Bottom