• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 780 Owners Club

Associate
hi ok I just did a 3dmark 11 run with my 780 @ 1146 MHz, cpu 3930 @4.3

graphics score 14261
physics score 13696
combined 11609

Soldato
Maybe if MSI/Evga take the hit on RMA , Nvidia may allow?

I was under the impression they could take a hit on rma, but nvidia would still view it as breaking partner rules. So could end up with cut allocations as a result.

A volt happy 780 lightning would regain my interests.

Caporegime
I was under the impression they could take a hit on rma, but nvidia would still view it as breaking partner rules. So could end up with cut allocations as a result.

A volt happy 780 lightning would regain my interests.

I am not saying you are wrong Paul but I read it as MSI get a GPU returned because of failure and they get the money/replacement back from Nvidia but because they had over volted the Lightning, Nvidia said they could do that but any returned card, Nvidia will not honour the warranty and MSI would have to take the hit.

That was what I read awhile back but there could have been something else that I missed?

Soldato
hi ok I just did a 3dmark 11 run with my 780 @ 1146 MHz, cpu 3930 @4.3

graphics score 14261
physics score 13696
combined 11609

P12018 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780(1x) and Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
Graphics Score 14847
Physics Score 7648
Combined Score 7648

That's mine stock boost clock. I think your CPU does a little better than mine...:)

Soldato
I am not saying you are wrong Paul but I read it as MSI get a GPU returned because of failure and they get the money/replacement back from Nvidia but because they had over volted the Lightning, Nvidia said they could do that but any returned card, Nvidia will not honour the warranty and MSI would have to take the hit.

That was what I read awhile back but there could have been something else that I missed?

It was similar to when Evga pulled the EvBot connections on the Classifieds :(

Also, hadn't MSI ignored a prior warning?

Caporegime
Found this:

It has come to our attention that NVIDIA is making sure that there will be no voltage control for their GK100 line up. In a forum post on EVGA forums, EVGA employee Jacob (EVGA_JacobF), responded to question about why a new GTX 680 Classified shipped without an EVBot port.

Picture Pulled from the Original Post
Picture Pulled from the Original Post Courtesy Sticky622 @ EVGA Forums

The initial assumption by members was that this was just a manufacturing defect that accidentally passed QA. However, here’s Jacob’s response to the initial question.

“Unfortunately newer 680 Classified cards will not come with the EVBot feature. If any questions or concerns please contact us directly so we can offer a solution.”

Of course, many members were wondering about why EVGA had decided to remove the signature feature of their flagship GTX 680, in which Jacob responded with…

“Unfortunately we are not permitted to include this feature any longer.”

So, they are not permitted by NVIDIA to include the feature. NVIDIA is the only entity that could “not permit” them from doing something on their own product. Then, members asked the “Why?” question once again to try to coax a less vague answer to this situation and they are supplied with…

“It was removed in order to 100% comply with NVIDIA guidelines for selling GeForce GTX products, no voltage control is allowed, even via external device.”

From this quote, it’s obvious that NVIDIA does not want their partners to supply any means of voltage control with the GK100 series of GPUs. This is a slap in the face to many of the enthusiasts and everyday overclockers who enjoy pushing hardware for that extra performance. That leaves the extreme, warranty-voiding modders that hardmod their GPUs with the ability to increase voltage for the Kepler cards and have a stress-free overclocking experience

The only fault of EVGA throughout this process of removing EVBot ports is that there wasn’t an official announcement before cards without EVBot ports were shipped or listed on their site. Also, an EVGA forums member pointed out that the picture of the GTX 680 Classified in their product section seems to have the EVBot port blacked out using something like MS Paint. So, from the outside looking in it looks like EVGA was trying to hide the fact that the GTX 680 Classified will no longer have EVBot support and hoping no one noticed.

From EVGA's Product Page
From EVGA’s Product Page

We sent an email out to EVGA for some more details about why this happened and some Classified specific questions. Jacob was able to answer the Classified specific questions.

Will you be reducing the price of the GTX 680 Classified?

“No plans at the moment.”

What makes your Classified worth the premium being charged if it is now limited to NVIDIA’s (low) Power Target limits with no additional voltage control?

“Higher power target, better cooling, higher out of box performance, binned GPU, superior voltage/power regulation, 4GB memory.”

Doesn’t that make all the records Vince keeps setting kind of worthless for anybody but him and EVGA? Not that they aren’t astounding and take a ton of skill, but if only he has access to cards that can do it, what’s the point?

“Anybody can do the same, just need to have the expertise like he does to modify the cards manually (this will VOID warranty though)”

Now, there may be ways of getting around even this if you can do it. Will EVGA be willing to supply a diagram / explanation for making your own EVBot port or directly soldering on the EVBot lead?

“Not from EVBot, but there are other documented ways to override voltage, again this will void warranty though.”

The questions that could not be answered were “Why is NVIDIA doing this?” and “Are they [NVIDIA] experiencing an increased level of RMAs? …as in, does real voltage control kill Kepler GPUs excessively fast?” and it would have been nice to to know the answer to these. Only NVIDIA knows exactly why they are holding back the potential of their GPUs by limiting the cards so much.

All this information makes it seem like it’s just a matter of time before NVIDIA snuffs out other voltage control features from other manufacturers. We know MSI and Galaxy have been having trouble getting NVIDIA to budge on allowing voltage control. ASUS has their GPU Hotwire feature, which can control GPU voltage when combined with their high-end motherboards (simliar to EVGA’s EVBot). I haven’t heard or read anything about ASUS removing hotwire for NVIDIA cards, but it looks to be inevitable. We’ve sent an email to our contacts at ASUS asking about this and we’ll update with any information we get from them.

So, the AIB partners are not to blame here, it’s all NVIDIA.

http://www.overclockers.com/nvidia-says-no-to-voltage-control

and this was the statement from Nvidia which corresponds to what I said. Regardless, it is BS.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=162220.0

We contacted Nvidia for comment and received a response from their Senior PR Manager, Bryan Del Rizzo with the following,

"Green Light was created to help ensure that all of the GTX boards in the market all have great acoustics, temperatures, and mechanicals. This helps to ensure our GTX customers get the highest quality product that runs quiet, cool, and fits in their PC. GTX is a measureable brand, and Green Light is a promise to ensure that the brand remains as strong as possible by making sure the products brought to market meet our highest quality requirements.

Reducing RMAs has never been a focus of Green Light.

We support overvoltaging up to a limit on our products, but have a maximum reliability spec that is intended to protect the life of the product. We don’t want to see customers disappointed when their card dies in a year or two because the voltage was raised too high.

Regarding overvoltaging above our max spec, we offer AICs two choices:

· Ensure the GPU stays within our operating specs and have a full warranty from NVIDIA.

· Allow the GPU to be manually operated outside specs in which case NVIDIA provides no warranty.

We prefer AICs ensure the GPU stays within spec and encourage this through warranty support, but it’s ultimately up to the AIC what they want to do. Their choice does not affect allocation. And this has no bearing on the end user warranty provided by the AIC. It is simply a warranty between NVIDIA and the AIC.

With Green Light, we don’t really go out of the way to look for ways that AICs enable manual OV. As I stated, this isn’t the core purpose of the program. Yes, you’ve seen some cases of boards getting out into the market with OV features only to have them disabled later. This is due to the fact that AICs decided later that they would prefer to have a warranty. This is simply a choice the AICs each need to make for themselves. How, or when they make this decision, is entirely up to them.

With regards to your MSI comment below, we gave MSI the same choice I referenced above -- change their SW to disable OV above our reliability limit or not obtain a warranty. They simply chose to change their software in lieu of the warranty. Their choice. It is not ours to make, and we don’t influence them one way or the other.

In short, Green Light is an especially important program for a major, new product introduction like Kepler, where our AICs don’t have a lot of experience building and working with our new technologies, but also extends the flexibility to AICs who provide a design that can operate outside of the reliability limits of the board. And, if you look at the products in the market today, there is obviously evidence of differentiation. You only need to look at the large assortment of high quality Kepler boards available today, including standard and overclocked editions."

Soldato
whats the max temp you have seen & average temp on these?

benchmarks and such

are they like all nvida cards and run 75-85c all the time underload?

thats what moved me away from nvidia even with better coolers they run really hot for no reason

ive had 280s 570s 480s all running at 75c with 25cm blowing on them yet

my 7970 with no intakes 45c in game.

Soldato
My 780 runs between 75-81.c when gaming. It's hardly hot for a gpu and works perfect and remains fairly quite. 7970 has nearly half the transistors compared to 780 so should run quieter although my reference 7970 runs hot.

Caporegime
Last statement sounds promising in that case, perhaps lightnings may be a very limited run item then to offset potential in house rma costs?

I think it was me and you (could be wrong) who said we would happily pay more to have some voltage fun. Anyone who bought a Classified after the EVBot block would be angry and justified. They paid top money for the EVBot connection, only to have it stripped from it and if you had a card that failed (regardless of reason), you wouldn't get a EVBot connectable one back.

Nvidia are the spoilers as AMD don't operate this way and if you ruin a card with volts, you get it replaced by AMD.

Associate
Sexy :D

780sli.jpg

Can't tell you what they're like as I just got them in before the grand prix started and having nipped away to check if the system would boot it just sat there on the BIOS screen. Will have to do some investigation work latter on, typical PC rubbish - nothing ever as straight forward as you think :/

Soldato
I think it was me and you (could be wrong) who said we would happily pay more to have some voltage fun. Anyone who bought a Classified after the EVBot block would be angry and justified. They paid top money for the EVBot connection, only to have it stripped from it and if you had a card that failed (regardless of reason), you wouldn't get a EVBot connectable one back.

Correct, when one of mine failed - replacement card NO EvBot :mad:

Soldato
Correct, when one of mine failed - replacement card NO EvBot :mad:

Surely doing this they would have been breaking some law or other? You paid top dollar for a card with the features listed, to not get the same back is a kick in the teeth, especially where £550 GPU's are concerned.

Same with the Lightnings though too I suppose even though a bios flash would sort it, advertise a card with higher voltage and power limits, don't deliver.

Yeah I'd pay extra for guaranteed voltage control, though I'd hope MSI especially are a little more forthcoming on their next batch of LTG's. 1.35v on a 7970 LTG vs 1.38v on a ref 7970 was a bit sickening.

Soldato
Surely doing this they would have been breaking some law or other? You paid top dollar for a card with the features listed, to not get the same back is a kick in the teeth, especially where £550 GPU's are concerned.

Same with the Lightnings though too I suppose even though a bios flash would sort it, advertise a card with higher voltage and power limits, don't deliver.

Yeah I'd pay extra for guaranteed voltage control, though I'd hope MSI especially are a little more forthcoming on their next batch of LTG's. 1.35v on a 7970 LTG vs 1.38v on a ref 7970 was a bit sickening.

Had arguments galore over it - it was why I got rid off them and got 7970's :D

Back
Top Bottom