• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 780 Owners Club

Soldato
Had a quick play with my new Windforce last night. Roughly 30-35% quicker than my GTX680 in Unigine Heaven and Valley. Very impressed with the cooler.

Whats the best software to overclock with?

I used the newest MSI Afterburner Beta 16. Quick and dirty method. Power slider to max and Vcore to +62mV (max) and temp limit kept at 79C. Is that safe?

Managed to get +145 on the core but only +125 on the memory. Any good or not?

For 24/7 overclocks is recommended to leave the voltage at stock as read in a couple places that its likely to degrade the gpu?

Permabanned
Hi
Just bought & installed an EVGA 780 Classified.

Is there an easy (software) based way to find the memory type as I don't really want to take the cooler off??

Not as such but if you test the card at 1800mhz memory and it works then it's unlikely to be Elpida.

Had a quick play with my new Windforce last night. Roughly 30-35% quicker than my GTX680 in Unigine Heaven and Valley. Very impressed with the cooler.

Whats the best software to overclock with?

I used the newest MSI Afterburner Beta 16. Quick and dirty method. Power slider to max and Vcore to +62mV (max) and temp limit kept at 79C. Is that safe?

Managed to get +145 on the core but only +125 on the memory. Any good or not?

For 24/7 overclocks is recommended to leave the voltage at stock as read in a couple places that its likely to degrade the gpu?

I use precision as I like the look of it.

If the memory only goes up that much it looks like you've got Elpida chips :(

That kind of voltage bump won't do any degradation especially if you're keeping the card under 70c whilst gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
I now have 2x Classifieds, but sadly my desk has been delayed so going to be another week at least :( Been looking around at different Bios available but might just see what I can get using standard afterburner voltage settings. Am I right in thinking I have a switch so if I select the 2nd bios I can OC more?
On a plus to the above, isn't core clock generally going to give more performance than the memory OC?

Soldato
What progs people using for overclocking? I'm guessing Afterburner? Works for all brands? I tried the Asus GPU Tweak, as I have an Asus card. Seemed easy enough. Although my game started lagging, and I tabbed out and noticed GPU Tweak using 1.5GB of RAM, killed it and game ran fine after. Uninstalled :).

They are all based on RivaTuner anyhoot aren't they? Shall try AB and EVGA Precision.

Permabanned
I now have 2x Classifieds, but sadly my desk has been delayed so going to be another week at least :( Been looking around at different Bios available but might just see what I can get using standard afterburner voltage settings. Am I right in thinking I have a switch so if I select the 2nd bios I can OC more?
On a plus to the above, isn't core clock generally going to give more performance than the memory OC?

You should be able to get 1.3v out of the cards just doing the softmod.

Core tends to give more performance than memory, memory helps just as much in certain synthetic benchmarks though.

Soldato
You should be able to get 1.3v out of the cards just doing the softmod.

Core tends to give more performance than memory, memory helps just as much in certain synthetic benchmarks though.

Aye I don't want to push to extremes as it's a bit pointless with SLI. Just wondering, is there any point in overlocking the second card? Should I see which clocks higher and have that as the primary one?
As I understand, the first will drop down to speed of the slower one.

Permabanned
Aye I don't want to push to extremes as it's a bit pointless with SLI. Just wondering, is there any point in overlocking the second card? Should I see which clocks higher and have that as the primary one?
As I understand, the first will drop down to speed of the slower one.

Might be a good idea to test them separately and see what each can achieve, also one might run a bit hotter than the other so put that in the lower slot so it can get the most air.

Permabanned
Can anyone in here tell me which 780 is better the Gainward 780 GLH or the inno3D iChill HerculeZ X3? The Gainward is a lot more expensive but the iChill HerculeZ X3 looks faster on paper?

Inno3D has poor RMA if you ever need to use your warranty.

Gainward is good, have you looked at the KFA2 card for under £400? They have UK based RMA too.

Soldato
How does the KFA2 card stack up against the other two performance wise?

Also wouldn't RMA go through overclockers?

They are all the same chip under the hood, just pick the best cooler in your opinion (read reviews etc) and decide which cooler is worth the extra and hope you get a good chip!

Permabanned
How does the KFA2 card stack up against the other two performance wise?

Also wouldn't RMA go through overclockers?

The Inno card has fastest out of the box clocks but the other 2 may be able to overclock higher than it. Just depends if you're comfortable with overclocking them, otherwise go for the fastest out the box card.

Associate
How much faster (in %) would you guess the inno3d? I am still a bit worried about its size as mentioned in another thread... but I am not really an overclocker myself, I just don't know enough about it etc so I would prefer getting a faster out of the box card...

The KFA2 site also does not seem to have information on the dimensions of the KFA2 GTX 780 ... anyone happen to know how long it is?

Back
Top Bottom