• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 970 / 980 - Custom Bios

Caporegime
OP
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 55-58C

I had a driver stopped responding at 1540MHZ Core, any higher and wouldn't run any games. Now using Custom Bios ( Game Stable ) as I want to be safe and look after my card and now boosting

1569 core, completely stable :D Even upped the ram clocks too :)

29d71jl.png

Caporegime
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 55-58C

I had a driver stopped responding at 1540MHZ Core, any higher and wouldn't run any games. Now using Custom Bios ( Game Stable ) as I want to be safe and look after my card and now boosting

1569 core, completely stable :D Even upped the ram clocks too :)

29d71jl.png

How does that compare to the score with the standard BIOS?

Caporegime
OP
1. Unpack both zips to the same folder.
2. Right click "Computer" and to go Manage. Computer Manager opens.
3. Click Device Manager
4. Expand Display Adapters
5. Right click your GTX980/970 and Disable it(all of them if you have more than one).
6. Start -> run -> cmd (must be administrative, or you must have UAC disabled)
7. Navigate to your nvflash folder: cd\folder\path\here\
8. -
9. If you need a PCI DeviceID Override, add -6 after nvflash and before your filename.
nvflash -6 BIOSNAME.rom
10. Re-enable Display Adapter
11. Reset MSI AB clocks
12. Uninstall drivers with DDU
13. Reboot, reinstall drivers

Any luck with that lot?

Caporegime
OP
Ive got nvflash in the C drive so what do I type in the cmd prompt exactly?

If I just type in C:\nvflash it still just quits on me if I try to use it.

Start -> run -> cmd (must be administrative, or you must have UAC disabled)

Then do visit your download directory which may be CD C:\

Then type

nvflash.exe -6 BIOSNAME.rom ( Pick the gamestable bios to be safe & reset MSI AB clocks )

Make sure to disable the display driver in hardware control panel before hand

Soldato
Flashed one card at a time and worked. Ive modded my own bios anyway and set the boost to 1506 (which is what I ran 24/7 anyway) and now both voltages are at 1.275 (msi AB) instead of all over the place.

Associate
Nvflash just closes on with whether I open the exe in admin mode or open it through the command line. It says its unable to open 'custom.rom'

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Currently running at 1569 core here on my Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 , will bump it up to 1600 over the next few days while I game stable test rather than benchmarks :)

Same volts as Locky, however true voltage is actually 1.3V measured at back of card according to bios creators

Soldato
Is custom.rom in the same folder? it's not hidden/system is it? or ended up as custom.rom.rom?

PS: Labelling all the HDD's and calling the pron one UNTITLED is a big giveaway ;)

Associate
Found out the nvflash needs to be in the root of the C:\, not in a folder. Sorted now.
Ha the H drive is a blank drive... I was trying to make it into a bootable USB - Nothing exciting I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom