• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Associate
quoted for future lols

Really lol?

Maybe i should clarify a bit,goin from 7970/280x>970(assuming its basically a 780) isnt that much a jump in performance. up to a 980 is a pretty good large jump,but the cost associated with that jump is pretty obscene IMO

The reduced TDP and stuff is nice and improvements to architecture is always good but raw performance improvements for gaming isnt particularly great.

Maybe im just salty that this new launch is just disappointing overall lol

Soldato
I think people should know by now that you're only going to get a few % difference each "upgrade" which may or may not equate into a whopping 8fps or more. Therefore until someone actually makes something decent (50% better not scraping the barrel with 10-20) then not many will be happy.

Soldato
Extra ROP's, Improved design architecture making 2000 Maxwell cores faster VS their Kepler cousins, plus some compression wizardry..

The Maxwell architecture is incredibly impressive, all that performance, with lower power consumption on the same node. Nvidia pulled of some Gandalf / Harry Potter type magic on this one..
Tech wise it is indeed impressive, but shame it doesn't change the fact that the performance is not really much, if any over what we already have "last gen".

We need a 60/60Ti card to be on par with "last gen" 80/80Ti, not a 70/80 to be on par with "last gen" 80/80Ti, like 660Ti being on par with the 580.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tech wise it is indeed impressive, but shame it doesn't change the fact that the performance is not really much, if any over what we already have "last gen".

Yeah, it's impressive from that point of view - same performance for half the power, or halfish.
But let's be honest, most on here couldn't give a flying **** about saving power/ saving the rain forest, we just want some proper releases to get excited about.

Soldato
I really hope the 970 is in my budget/bang for buck zone and will fit in my case.

I'll be able I go crazy* on the overclocking with my 450w psu.

*well, as crazy as my case will allow anyway :D

Associate
Yeah, it's impressive from that point of view - same performance for half the power, or halfish.
But let's be honest, most on here couldn't give a flying **** about saving power/ saving the rain forest, we just want some proper releases to get excited about.

Well I don't have kids so frankly I could run 15 in SLI and do less environmental damage :D

Back
Top Bottom