• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Associate
Yeah, I've already pretty much decided I'm going for the 970, unless it turns out to not be that amazing and OCUK put a mega deal on 290 or 780ti stock...

Getting an i7 and z97 board to go with it. Upgrade from AMD FM2 platform lolz

:D

Same as you... just got the Z97 with a i7-4790k only thing missing to complete setup is new gpu... currently using 7970. Was about to buy the 290X (yesterday) which was on a great deal at OCUK but then all of this started.... have exactly 350 burning a hole in pocket... not a penny more so think the GTX 980 is out...

Soldato
Had a quick look at the semi review and benchies linked above. I'ma tad confused as to how the 980 is roughly 13% faster than my 780Ti's given the much lesser cuda cores and other techy specs. Is it purely down to the much higher core clock hz? I don't really overclock my Ti's so I assume if I did it would still trounce the 980?
(bit out of the loop on all this - trying hard not to look at any graphics cards news since spunking out a grand on a pair of Ti's not very long ago)

Man of Honour
Associate
Same as you... just got the Z97 with a i7-4790k only thing missing to complete setup is new gpu... currently using 7970. Was about to buy the 290X (yesterday) which was on a great deal at OCUK but then all of this started.... have exactly 350 burning a hole in pocket... not a penny more so think the GTX 980 is out...

Tbh a 970 wont really be a big jump at all from a 7970.Probily better waiting it out for a few months to see what AMD brings or just getting a 2nd 7970/280x for dirt cheap and have CF.Unless you are wantin the Phyx and gysnc goodness ofcource.

Im in the same boat as you got a Windforce 280x,have that upgrade itch but so far both the 970 and 980 dont appear to anything more than relatively small upgrades for me,especially considering the cost even if i sold my card.

Soldato
Had a quick look at the semi review and benchies linked above. I'ma tad confused as to how the 980 is roughly 13% faster than my 780Ti's given the much lesser cuda cores and other techy specs. Is it purely down to the much higher core clock hz? I don't really overclock my Ti's so I assume if I did it would still trounce the 980?
(bit out of the loop on all this - trying hard not to look at any graphics cards news since spunking out a grand on a pair of Ti's not very long ago)

Extra ROP's, Improved design architecture making 2000 Maxwell cores faster VS their Kepler cousins, plus some compression wizardry..

The Maxwell architecture is incredibly impressive, all that performance, with lower power consumption on the same node. Nvidia pulled of some Gandalf / Harry Potter type magic on this one..

Where you at AMD?

Caporegime

It is all about the power efficiency and other refinements. Mind you, with a pair of 780Tis, you shouldn't even be considering these cards :D

Soldato
Tbh a 970 wont really be a big jump at all from a 7970.Probily better waiting it out for a few months to see what AMD brings or just getting a 2nd 7970/280x for dirt cheap and have CF.Unless you are wantin the Phyx and gysnc goodness ofcource.

Im in the same boat as you got a Windforce 280x,have that upgrade itch but so far both the 970 and 980 dont appear to anything more than relatively small upgrades for me,especially considering the cost even if i sold my card.

quoted for future lols

Soldato
Extra ROP's, Improved design architecture making 2000 Maxwell cores faster VS their Kepler cousins, plus some compression wizardry..

The Maxwell architecture is incredibly impressive, all that performance, with lower power consumption on the same node. Nvidia pulled of some Gandalf / Harry Potter type magic on this one..

Where you at AMD?

Heh :)

Still, looks like there is zero interest/ point in upgrading for current 780Ti and 780 owners, which I'm happy about to be honest, especially if you game at high res.

I do miss the bygone days of double leap performance with a new graphics card release though. It's sad but they really were exciting times for us graphics whores.

Caporegime
Why does the 970, at the same clocks, score exactly the same (ok one point less) than the 980. Both are listed as using the same clocks yet the 980 has 384 more cuda cores : /

Anyway, im looking forward to this launch. All you guys with 290x's and 780Ti's might not be excited but for anyone not on a 780 or 290 series card, these look like they will be great cards to upgrade to.

Caporegime

Yer, the only difference from a 7970 to a 970 is a 7 :D

Sorry but that post is funny :D

Associate
Well ended up ordering the Swift but think something got screwed up because I've been charged but the item hasn't left my basket and nothing is showing in my order history :S. Got the email from paypal saying I've been charged but no word from OCUK.

Associate
Why does the 970, at the same clocks, score exactly the same (ok one point less) than the 980. Both are listed as using the same clocks yet the 980 has 384 more cuda cores : /

Anyway, im looking forward to this launch. All you guys with 290x's and 780Ti's might not be excited but for anyone not on a 780 or 290 series card, these look like they will be great cards to upgrade to.

Agreed - and yeah I will be watching for real benches to explain that too.

Associate
Well ended up ordering the Swift but think something got screwed up because I've been charged but the item hasn't left my basket and nothing is showing in my order history :S. Got the email from paypal saying I've been charged but no word from OCUK.

Give em a bell sure you can sort it (good choice btw)

Caporegime

Jump into CS and double check. Damo will look it up for ya :)

Also, add your name into this thread when you get it - same to everyone with a G-Sync monitor.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18612525

I will be doing a gamers review over the weekend as well. Gawd I love this monitor :D

Caporegime

If those new benches are to be believed (not sure, some results look dodgy, but they are probably roughly correct), the 970 is on a par with a 290X....and uses about half the power...How on earth is that not a big jump from a 7970?

Back
Top Bottom