• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB 4096MB GDDR5

ASUS GPU Tweak Utility - Real-time and intuitive tweaking
GPU Tweak helps you modify clock speeds, voltages, fan performance and more, all via an intuitive interface. What’s more, a simple online-streaming function lets you share gameplay live – so people can watch as you play!

Gigantic 4GB GDDR5 Memory
On-board memory for the best gaming experience & the best resolution

0dB FAN
0dB-fan technology that lets you enjoy games in absolute silence! Fan stops completely when the GPU temperature is below 65°C

NVIDIA® GPU Boost 2.0
Technology for intelligent monitoring of clock speed, ensuring that the GPU runs at its peak and the game is at its highest frame rate possible. It offers new levels of customization, including GPU temperature target, overclocking, and unlocked voltage

NVIDIA® Adaptive V-Sync
NVIDIA Adaptive Vertical Sync adjusts V-Sync to current frame rates for maximum playability

NVIDIA® PhysX® ready
Dynamic visual effects like blazing explosions, reactive debris, realistic water, and lifelike characters.

SLI Support
Multi-GPU technology for extreme performance

NVIDIA® 3D Vision™ Surround Ready
Bring games to life with NVIDIA® Surround™ multi-monitor gaming on a single card

PCIE 3.0
Delivers double the bandwidth per lane of PCIe Gen 2 for faster GPU – CPU communication

Specifications:-
- Graphics Engine NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980
- Bus Standard PCI Express® 3.0
- OpenGL OpenGL® 4.4
- Video Memory 4GB GDDR5
- GPU boost Clock 1216 MHz
- GPU base Clock 1127 MHz
- CUDA cores 2048
- Memory Clock 3505 MHz (7010 GDDR5)
- Memory Interface 256 bit
- DVI Output 1x Native Dual-link DVI-I
- HDMI Output 1x Native HDMI 2.0
- HDCP compliant YES
- DisplayPort 3x Native DisplayPort 1.2
- Adapter/Cable Bundled 1x Power Cable
- Software Bundled ASUS GPU Tweak & Driver
- Dimensions: 268.6 x 98.4 x 40 mm

Soldato
Does anyone know if these will even be any good with 4k resolution screens? They don't seem very promising for that.

We're a couple years away from really decent performing 4K cards. The GTX 980 does look faster than everything else currently available though..

So what is the official UK price?

Seems to be,

£300+ GTX 970.

£450+ GTX 980.

Guess we'll find out for definite at breakfast time tomorrow !

Soldato
They seem a reasonable upgrade from users son the the 770's or lower cards.
Glad stock clocks are at a reasonable level rather that Nvidia's usual low

Caporegime
I *still* cannot believe what big balls these Maxwell cores have. To beat a Ti that has 35-40% ish more cores on the same process is phenomenal!!

Must have some crazy BAMF engineers :cool:

Soldato
I'm sort of in two minds about how I purchase the gtx 980. Either I get one and shove it in the pc I've currently got, or build a new haswell-e pc and shove one in (I'm planning to have a haswell-e build at some point anyway). But I don't want to put it in my current rig and feel disappointed with the performance if the rest of my pc is holding it back.

I might actually just wait for the prices to settle first, but I would really like something new to play with right now.:cool:

Associate
900x900px-LL-ed5c5c3d_original.jpeg

a good OC 780Ti can still beat these 980 OC so who cares :d

Associate
Just care about features and watts. For many ppl this is a good upgrade. Personally, i love the ~100 watts decrease (compare to AMD), even most user saying dosen't matter. If you think in long term, what could Nvidia do with 2 x power? They are still in OEM lovely limit. Make it is: BEAST

Last edited:
Associate
check the bench 780 ti@1306mhz still beats a 980 @1449mhz i don't think u can go higher on air with 980(maybe 1500mhz max) so its not so good

maybe sli will be better than 780ti sli i agree

Back
Top Bottom