• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Caporegime
Seriously can't get over how efficient these are! I never expected that on 28nm, seriously, Nvidia's next die shrink cards will be very interesting.

Still very meh over the 980/970, they're good cards in their own right, but we've still stagnated.

I still want one though!

Soldato
Going by all the reviews I feel the same, Even some reviewers have said if you have a 780 Ti there's no point in "upgrading", Would be a sort of side grade for the extra GB of memory and less wattage used.

Honestly one of the most underwhelming GPU launches to date, That I've seen anyway.

From a 780/titan owners point of view, no it isnt enough to make me want to upgrade

But from an interest in technology point of view, this is a good solid release at great price points, and no doubt nvidia have left themselves some wiggle room on the 980

Associate
GALAX 970 OC, or MSI GTX 970 Gaming Edition?

Galax: Core Clock: 1126MHz, Boost Clock: 1266MHz

MSI: Core Clock: 1140MHz, Boost Clock: 1279MHz

I think the galax looks much nicer, haha. Though my case doesn't have a window so perhaps looks don't matter too much...

I'm putting together a complete system in system configurator, doing a "pro-gamer" midi-tower system. For the power supply is a Super Flower Leadex Gold 850W good enough? How about if I go for SLI? At these prices I'm actually tempted to do SLI for the first time.

Normally I'd assume I'd need a bigger power supply and go for the 1000W, but given how energy efficient these 970s are supposed to be I'm wondering if the 850W might do the trick.

Then again... maybe it is worth going for the 1000W just to be safe, it's only £25 more. I assume the system will only use what it needs, so a 1000W PSU won't cause me a higher electric bill than an 850W unless I'm actually using more than 850W. Am I correct thinking this way?

Associate
Does anyone know if the 780/780ti has this 4K Downsampling feature the new 970/980s do?

I feel like surely it's just software enabling this option like it has been done in the past, but now they are pushing it out in nvidia driver releases for the masses?

Gonna be annoyed if it is locked to 970/980. Good marketing strategy though..

Soldato
From gtx680 owners point view and who games at 1080 the 770 is brilliant. It will best any game at 1080 for some time and then you could always SLI too.

Back
Top Bottom