• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
Hows the 970SLI compair with 290x CF for high res gaming, worth an upgrade?
It's only an upgrade if you want lower power consumption and heat instead of performance increase.

If you were in the market for a new card, then I would say yea the 970 would be a good card to buy; but for people that already own 290 or 780 series, from performance side point of view there's little reason to move to the 970/980, unless selling their existing cards alone is enough to fully fund the new cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
they are new maxwell chips at 28nm

they are better temps lower power consumption with plenty of headroom for overclocking.

If you own 780ti's it's not really worth the hit but then they are the 770 successor not the 780ti successor.

Soldato
Thats kinda what I'm after just dont want a slower setup doing so.
The 970 may or may not be slower than the 290x depending on the game and situations/settings and how high it can clock (silicon lottery). But all in all judging from the benchmarks, you shouldn't lose performance to very noticable level under actualy gaming even in the worst case scenerio.

But one thing though, looking beyond the frame rate, I don't think reviews have got round to measuring frame time of the new cards yet, particularly for SLI?

Soldato
These cards look good, but it's very clear we've stagnated in pure performance given we've been on 28nm almost 3 years.

Looks like the die shrink for Nvidia will be really good.
But in the mean time. I'm so very meh about it all.

As a SFF PC gamer,some of the effiencies are nice as long as it is matched by pricing - will need to see how much the GTX960 will cost and how it will perform TBH.

However,the thing is though as I mentioned in the deleted thread it is no wonder a GTX980 could do well against the GTX780TI/R9 290X. The latter two have a whole load of transistors dedicated towards DP which has made the chips larger and consume more power while doing nothing for gaming performance,whereas they are fighting an evolved GK104 which is far better optimised for the job TBH. Even the larger memory buses have been dictated more towards certain commerical usage too.

Back
Top Bottom