• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

OcUK Staff
GALAX 970 OC, or MSI GTX 970 Gaming Edition?

Galax: Core Clock: 1126MHz, Boost Clock: 1266MHz

MSI: Core Clock: 1140MHz, Boost Clock: 1279MHz

I think the galax looks much nicer, haha. Though my case doesn't have a window so perhaps looks don't matter too much...

I'm putting together a complete system in system configurator, doing a "pro-gamer" midi-tower system. For the power supply is a Super Flower Leadex Gold 850W good enough? How about if I go for SLI? At these prices I'm actually tempted to do SLI for the first time.

Normally I'd assume I'd need a bigger power supply and go for the 1000W, but given how energy efficient these 970s are supposed to be I'm wondering if the 850W might do the trick.

Then again... maybe it is worth going for the 1000W just to be safe, it's only £25 more. I assume the system will only use what it needs, so a 1000W PSU won't cause me a higher electric bill than an 850W unless I'm actually using more than 850W. Am I correct thinking this way?

Galax has better power regulation and more powerful cool, if your overclocking it is superior.

MSI looks nicer and is faster out the box, so better gaming card, but the Galax when overclocked is superior. :)

Associate
Hi all,

I have a i7 920 @ 3.0ghz
6gb ram
Gigabyte GA-EX58 UD5 Mobo

Would the above be a bottleneck to a 970 GPU ?

been looking at upgrading for a few weeks now and was looking at a 280x or 285 but might spend that bit extra for a 970 if the rest of the system isnt going to hold it back too much.

Thanks

Associate
GALAX 970 OC, or MSI GTX 970 Gaming Edition?

Galax: Core Clock: 1126MHz, Boost Clock: 1266MHz

MSI: Core Clock: 1140MHz, Boost Clock: 1279MHz

I think the galax looks much nicer, haha. Though my case doesn't have a window so perhaps looks don't matter too much...

I'm putting together a complete system in system configurator, doing a "pro-gamer" midi-tower system. For the power supply is a Super Flower Leadex Gold 850W good enough? How about if I go for SLI? At these prices I'm actually tempted to do SLI for the first time.

Normally I'd assume I'd need a bigger power supply and go for the 1000W, but given how energy efficient these 970s are supposed to be I'm wondering if the 850W might do the trick.

Then again... maybe it is worth going for the 1000W just to be safe, it's only £25 more. I assume the system will only use what it needs, so a 1000W PSU won't cause me a higher electric bill than an 850W unless I'm actually using more than 850W. Am I correct thinking this way?[/QUOTE

The galaxy/KAF2 would be your best bet

well gibbo beat me to it.

Back
Top Bottom