• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Pij

Pij

Associate
Is the 980 worth upgrading from a 780ti for the price of postage? Im thinking yes but some places say it performs lower, while others say higher.

Caporegime
Perhaps if I had been on the magic beans and found Mantle overwhelmingly amazing I might have a different opinion.

To see the true benefits of mantle, you need a weak CPU, not a high end CPU :)

BF 4, hardline and PVZ are completely different games for me with mantle, very rarely will my FPS drops below 80 (FPS cap), where as with dx, FPS drop galore, just not playable at all and this is even with everything on low/off except mesh (for bf 4)....

I will eventually upgrade my CPU and mobo but for the foreseeable future with regards to the upcoming games supporting mantle, there is no need to, I rather save myself £250-300 and put that towards my perfect monitor.

Associate
From the reviews I've seen nope, the Gigabyte, Asus, Galax do though it seems.

I'm trying to figure out if their is actually a reference PCB for the 970's, and which custom cooler versions have custom PCB's.

Actually I was looking at the 970's thinking exactly the same thing...

I have seen some reference 980's, but I don't think I have seen any reference 970's yet.

I have only been looking at the outside casing, but maybe some of them, are reference PCB's underneath ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
To say I regret my 290 purchase would be an understatement though I do have to remember that even at stupid clocks there isn't THAT much difference between the 970 / 290. Perhaps if I had been on the magic beans and found Mantle overwhelmingly amazing I might have a different opinion.

It's not that my 290 is a bad card (the opposite in fact - it's actually a stonkingly good 290) it's just that it has the heat thing which is an issue for me. It's good banter while on TS with Greg and that but day to day it becomes a bit close in my man cave ha ha...

Its a pile of crap compared to mine judging by your past complaints about it.

Caporegime

BF 4, hardline and PVZ are completely different games for me with mantle, very rarely will my FPS drops below 80 (FPS cap), where as with dx, FPS drop galore, just not playable at all and this is even with everything on low/off except mesh (for bf 4)....

I will eventually upgrade my CPU and mobo but for the foreseeable future with regards to the upcoming games supporting mantle, there is no need to, I rather save myself £250-300 and put that towards my perfect monitor.

If they would hurry up and bring the cte changes to bf4, we wouldn't need mantle. Quite impressed by theese new cards, nice drop in power use but ill probably soldier on with my 780's till full fat Maxwell comes out.

Soldato
will buy 970 msi gamer when i get rid of mine 770 msi gamer oc should be tasty :eek:

edit : i think 970 msi gamer has no backplate(someone confirm) bit of a shame but still should be good

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a pile of crap compared to mine judging by your past complaints about it.

It isn't - it's a very good card...

Yeah I know that hence the sardonic tone in that part of the post. It was just that if you believed everything you read in this sub forum DX was a mess and Mantle was smooth as a baby's bum even for higher end users such as myself. I swapped from a 780 purely for new toy syndrome and shock horror Mantle felt no different to DX on my 780 :D.

Alas I digress - not a Mantle thread :D.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If they would hurry up and bring the cte changes to bf4, we wouldn't need mantle. Quite impressed by theese new cards, nice drop in power use but ill probably soldier on with my 780's till full fat Maxwell comes out.

True that! Cte runs much better than vanilla on DX :o, mantle for my weak ass CPU is still better in CTE though.

Associate
Ordered my 980 from a more local dealer (sorry gibbo) and I'm kind of impressed with the card. Had quite major issues with my motherboard though. Anybody with the Gigabyte B75-U3V board will need to update the bios. Mine just hung at the bios screen. Took it back and they checked the 980 and it was fine, ordered a £15 graphics card just in case (didn't want to plumb my old card back in) and got it running.

The lighting effects on the back of the card are cool too.

Will have to read more reviews to decide on the 4k option in October !

Back
Top Bottom