• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Associate
I've been contemplating the GTX980 from a GTX680, but then if I want CUDA performance perhaps I should wait for the Titan equivalent with at least 8GB. When do you think that would appear? Or would having GTX980's in SLI work with CUDA based software too or just have it as if it's a single card?

Soldato
I want to hate this card for using the 980 name and not having a big jump in performance but i actually think it's rather impressive being on 28nm. It's the efficiency more than anything. 20nm and below look really promising for Nvidia judging by this card.

Soldato
I want to hate this card for using the 980 name and not having a big jump in performance but i actually think it's rather impressive being on 28nm. It's the efficiency more than anything. 20nm and below look really promising for Nvidia judging by this card.

It's the clock speeds they're getting to which impress me. 1500-1600 is ridiculous even when you consider they're coming at 1200-1250 out the box.

Soldato
I'm currently running an Asus GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II 4096MB GDDR5 with an i5 2500k (Sandy Bridge) LGA1155 3.3GHz... would it be worth me upgrading to a 970 with (or without) a CPU upgrade as well, or just stick with what I've got?

Last edited:
Soldato
Its all good looking at benchmarks when we see more points but whats the real world figures? Fps? Stability? Is it just a few fps better than previous gen in games or are we talking 20+ fps with this new 980 card.

Soldato
Would you of bought a 970 if you hadn't got the 290 Rusty?

To say I regret my 290 purchase would be an understatement though I do have to remember that even at stupid clocks there isn't THAT much difference between the 970 / 290. Perhaps if I had been on the magic beans and found Mantle overwhelmingly amazing I might have a different opinion.

It's not that my 290 is a bad card (the opposite in fact - it's actually a stonkingly good 290) it's just that it has the heat thing which is an issue for me. It's good banter while on TS with Greg and that but day to day it becomes a bit close in my man cave ha ha...

Soldato
I have got a 670 2gb and these are looking interesting. Will wait until Christmas to upgrade as im hoping there's a 8gig version on its way but I got a feeling that's going be reserved to whatever replaces the titan.

Soldato
drex69 said:
Does the MSI 970 Gaming card, come with a backplate ?

I don't think it does, which is a bit of a shame.
From the reviews I've seen nope, the Gigabyte, Asus, Galax do though it seems.

I'm trying to figure out if their is actually a reference PCB for the 970's, and which custom cooler versions have custom PCB's.

Back
Top Bottom