• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
Jesus talk about me opening a can of worms! :rolleyes:

In 2007 the 8800GT was £200 and the performance over the previous
generation was massive for that price.

In 2014 the GTX970 is £250 and there is no card that comes close to it for that money.

Now dont get me wrong next week AMD could drop the backside out of the
prices and then maybe not. But as it stands today GTX970 best bang for buck.

I am willing to pay the extra as I dont go over £200 quid usually, but for a card with 4gb mem and crazy overclocking potential. I would get years out of the card for that extra £50. ;)

OcUK Staff
HI there

Just tested 970 and 980 again using 344.11 driver, simply wow:-

MSI 970 Gaming @ 1600/8400

fire_norm_34411.png

fire_extreme34411.png

Galax 980 @ 1550/8400

fire_norm.png

fire_extreme-1.png

Mind blowing performance!!!! :D :D :D

Man of Honour
I don't disagree with cat in that the draw of the 8800GT was when it was available for circa £150 giving top end ballpark performance and the 970 isn't quite that but I don't think its hideously removed from that.

Soldato
It's more than normal actually, you just seem to have an issue with it.

7 years is the past.

You're just being negative because it's not what you want. Even if they were £200 you'd still find something to moan about.

Again getting overexcited and not understanding why cards like 8800GT and similar did well,and then when your view is not 100% accepted start strawmen arguments about you have an issue with the card,brand,etc.

Soldato
Soldato
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB:
Manufacturer: Nvidia
UK Price (as reviewed): £164.44 (inc. VAT)
US Price (as reviewed): $269.99 (ex. Tax)

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2007/11/02/nvidia_geforce_8800_gt/1

Prices may have come down by the time your link was written, but who knows where 970 prices will be in a month (especially considering the pound has just jumped against the dollar).

Even if you add inflation into account that is still just getting close to £200.

The GTX970 is 30% to 40% more expensive in real terms.

The card is great and the price is great.

However,its still not a 8800GT in reality.

Normal people are not going to care a damn about inflation though.

Caporegime
Why do you keep repeating overexcited? Doesn't make it any more true, I've told you above why, but you're just being a twerp and choosing to read what you want.

I haven't got any issue with a card or brand :confused:

I don't disagree the 8800gt was brilliant for the money, but it's impossible 7 years later to expect the same price for cards like that.

Caporegime
Again getting overexcited and not understanding why cards like 8800GT and similar did well,and then when your view is not 100% accepted start strawmen arguments about you have an issue with the card,brand,etc.

People who can't stop themselves throwing their money away always want to justify the prices they paid afterwards. Otherwise they might have buyers remorse :p

Either that or this forum is just populated by people on the Sunday Times rich list :p

Caporegime
I wasn't justifying the price of the card though was I? It was about that guy who said it was like the 8800GT of today.

Even on a minimum wage job you can afford a 970 depending on how you budget.

If you've got an issue with people buying £200+ cards then maybe the GPU section isn't for you.

Soldato
People who can't stop themselves throwing their money away always want to justify the prices they paid afterwards. Otherwise they might have buyers remorse :p

Either that or this forum is just populated by people on the Sunday Times rich list :p

Nope check my sig I only have a GTX480 and I know if I get a
GTX970 I will double my performance.

I am getting one for xmas anyway so there! :p

Soldato
Even if you add inflation into account that is still just getting close to £200.

The GTX970 is 30% to 40% more expensive in real terms.

The card is great and the price is great.

However,its still not a 8800GT in reality.

Normal people are not going to care a damn about inflation though.

The thing is though, all PC components have increased in price at the performance markers, top end CPUS = more expensive, memory kits = more expensive, motherboards = more expensive, etc.

So when you put it in perspective, yes it does cost more, but not by comparison to everything else.

I mean back when we were buying 8800GT's and 9500's (I got mine to mod to a 9700 :D) if anyone told us we would one day think it was normal to spend >£100 on a case or >£50 on a PSU we would have laughed at them. But things have changed and the GTX970 appears to be a modern day 8800GT in every aspect (including price when compared to the world we are in not the world of 2007).

Soldato
I wasn't justifying the price of the card though was I? It was about that guy who said it was like the 8800GT of today.

Even on a minimum wage job you can afford a 970 depending on how you budget.

If you've got an issue with people buying £200+ cards then maybe the GPU section isn't for you.

I don't have an issue with people buying £1000 cards and I have been around here for a while anyway,so I might stay.

Plus if a person you can justify 100s of pounds on a graphics card on a minimum wage job,it indicates they are more a hardware enthusiast than anything else.

It still does make the GTX970 an 8800GT.

The GTX960 might if AMD has nothing for year. Just like the 8800GT had no real competition for ages too and mopped up.

The thing is though, all PC components have increased in price at the performance markers, top end CPUS = more expensive, memory kits = more expensive, motherboards = more expensive, etc.

So when you put it in perspective, yes it does cost more, but not by comparison to everything else.

I mean back when we were buying 8800GT's and 9500's (I got mine to mod to a 9700 :D) if anyone told us we would one day think it was normal to spend >£100 on a case or >£50 on a PSU we would have laughed at them. But things have changed and the GTX970 appears to be a modern day 8800GT in every aspect (including price when compared to the world we are in not the world of 2007).

The problem with this again is that most people don't give a damn about inflation.

Enthusiasts buy stuff as a hobby,so will always spend that extra.

In the end don't think it is the case for a lot of non-enthusiast gamers still.

If people are used to buying £150 cards,then a faster £270 card is "so what?"

Its the attitude I get from most non-enthusiast gamers over the last couple of years and I helped with 100s of builds.

Every single hardware enthusiast I know will spend much more for their gaming rigs and sometimes massively more.

Edit!!

Interesting how if I don't agree the GTX970 is the bestest value card in 7 years,its something bad!

LOL.

Second Edit!!

I don't want to **** on people's parade here,so I will bow out and let them have a happy Friday LOL.

Last edited:
Soldato

Jeez, we are not talking about another titan here are we, if paying ~£250 for the latest toy in someones hobby equals "Sunday times rich list" to you then I seriously suggest you never think about taking up any kind of sport or basically any hobby at all, because i know plenty of people on below average wage jobs who spend way more than £250 every few months on their hobbies

Back
Top Bottom