• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
So you think people who are happy to buy a card that suits there budget would look and say "well, I am not an nVidia fan, so I best not bother with these". You couldn't be further from the truth. The price for the 970 is right in the sweetspot and power/performance is fantastic. The neutral guy will buy what suits best and the 970 is ticking all the boxes.

not if AMD drop their prices next week to counter this, as for me, if i was after a bargain i'd get another ex-miner 7990 for 260 quid, now that's a bargain !!!!

yes the 970 looks really good, but next year it'll be history when AMD bounce back

Soldato
patience because there's nothing AMD can do....Nvidia have won this for now, but AMD are bound to bounce back.. because the wise thing to do is to wait for next years AMD cards anyway, it's too late for this year

you'll never see a true AMD fan switching to Nvidia......... yea they'll sell loads of these, but only to Nvidia fans

there's only one thing that's important :- that they get the cooling right on next years Dual card.....i'll really be watching for this

I'm dont think there is really in the overall picture that many True AMD/Nvidia fans, I would say the majority of users buy what ever has the best price/performance for them. Then you have a smaller group of users that Prefer one brand over anther but will still buy the other side for a test or because it was simply a great deal,, and last group which would be quite small that buy their hardware on which side they support only even if they get a bad deal/performance, TBH i feel sorry for anyone in the last group :)

Caporegime
not if AMD drop their prices next week to counter this, as for me, if i was after a bargain i'd get another ex-miner 7990 for 260 quid, now that's a bargain !!!!

yes the 970 looks really good, but next year it'll be history when AMD bounce back

Are AMD dropping prices next week? Maybe they are but I have not heard anything about that.

Not everyone wants to buy second hand and didn't you have problems trying to keep it cool? Also, the 970 clocked up will be hitting the 7990 speeds as well.

And the year after that the previous years card will be history and they year after that, the previous years card will be history.... Welcome to PCs :p

Soldato
The way I see it the only thing AMD can do now is drop prices as from the initial things I've read it's the only area the 290/X can win.

If AMD had a 295 or 290XTX part ready I'm sure they'd have been shouting about it by now. Look at FreeSync, 6 months before it's even close to available and they were marketing it like it was available now. If they had a card that could compete with the 980 just around the corner I'm sure we'd be hearing about how it's the fastest single GPU on the market (with little to no mention of the heat and power draw required to beat a 178W card).

Caporegime
The way I see it the only thing AMD can do now is drop prices as from the initial things I've read it's the only area the 290/X can win.

If AMD had a 295 or 290XTX part ready I'm sure they'd have been shouting about it by now. Look at FreeSync, 6 months before it's even close to available and they were marketing it like it was available now. If they had a card that could compete with the 980 just around the corner I'm sure we'd be hearing about how it's the fastest single GPU on the market (with little to no mention of the heat and power draw required to beat a 178W card).

There were rumors of a 285X floating about and that might have done AMD a favour but AMDMatt said that no such card exists the day before nVidia released the 970/80, so anyone who was even thinking of waiting for AMD to release something would have potentially jumped on the 980/70.

There was never a 285X to begin with, so you can’t cancel thin air.

Sometimes it is better to let rumors float, as that keeps people interested.

Soldato
., and last group which would be quite small that buy their hardware on which side they support only even if they get a bad deal/performance, TBH i feel sorry for anyone in the last group :)

that would be somebody that brought the 295X2 for a thousand quid, plus an idiot is also someone that buys a Titan Z ( for example) :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
that would be somebody that brought the 295X2 for a thousand quid ;):p

because being an AMD fan means that you'll always find value for money/ good bargain, somewhere in their range.

because an idiot is someone that buys a Titan Z ( for example) :p

A professional would have bought a Titan Z and seen it as a bargain...

Associate
970 seems quite reasonably priced. Good job nvidia. Let's hope AMD step up to this with either faster (and cooler and quieter) cards or price drops on the existing 290 series :)

Soldato
970 seems quite reasonably priced. Good job nvidia. Let's hope AMD step up to this with either faster (and cooler and quieter) cards or price drops on the existing 290 series :)

AMD are best developing a new card for next year, because they've deffo lost this.

dropping the price of the 290 wont make much difference, because any neutral is going to go for the 970, it's brand new and too good to resist

i'm wobbling a bit too :eek::eek:..... but i'm hunting for dual cards only, so this tends to rule me out straight away.........unless Nvidia release a cheap 970 Dual and then i'll deffo be interested :eek::eek:

Soldato
Also, the 970 clocked up will be hitting the 7990 speeds as well.
:p

Reckon, really? That fast?:D

I've been AMD past two purchases (7970 & 7990) and with this round I'm leaning towards green again (last = 560ti). I'm reading that people are disappointed with the 9 series release :confused:

Performance stock - very good
Overclocking - stonking
Fuel - very efficint and in turn heat (helps with above)
AND PRICE!!!

If I'd have had the money last month I may have gone for a £700 X295...........But 3 x 970's for <£800....... OC'd and dont need a new PSU..........

It's the release and all review sites got engineering samples. As long as the retail units deliver the review samples then it's a go.

One thing I will say is that I've had to go back to DX11 on BF4 (mantle error everytime I boot game if profile saved mantle preference) and I can notice the feel in smoothness from mantle. But I'd still go 970's.

Nvidia's aggresive pricing has made this a game changer. Usually every fps/bench-mark is chargable by Nvidia. I do find it odd that the titan Z was such an over priced............heatsink at the end of the day bar compute capability.

Fair play nvidia with the 9 series with your pricing.

Mal X...no point getting another 7990 - you cant cool the 1st unless you wanna smelt grannies gold with 2nd.:p

Soldato
yea............. i'm gonna have a good think about this 970 because i'm not happy that the 7990 runs so damned hot.

but it would deffo have to be SLI 970 because i dont want to loose grunt power, so i'm a traitor now..........................sod that ;)

Caporegime
10026. GFX Score 15344. 7990. Air cooled. Physics Score 6352. CPU 3570K @ 3.4 Air cooled - Footslayer - Link

1. 13929. GFX Score 15700. 980. Air cooled. Physics Score 17811. CPU 3930K @ 5.0 Water cooled - Whyscotty - Link

Taken from the bench thread.

Yer, looking at the 980 Vs the 7990, it beats it and the 970 (sorry no benchmarks yet) won't be far behind the 980, so take out scaling which in general is around 85% according to Kaapsatds testing the 970 should be on par with the 7990 :)

All theoretical and no hard proof still but you get what I am saying :)

Soldato
the 970 SLI isn't slower ...................... because to get the 7990 to run cool; you have to back off the voltage, clock and memory and by quite a long way

it's still way better than a 7970, but not SLI 790 because that's a brand new card

Soldato
The 970 is so cheap that SLI is a no brainer, but you deffo want a version with really good cooling.......... or even water !!!!!

more research needed.

damn not enough room, the 970 is almost 3 slots deep, the cooler hangs down a long way........below my last slot is the PSU ......UUUM

Last edited:
Permabanned
The only problem is micro stutter i am so scared of it and the vram usage. Although i have sort of calmed down a bit because when i realistically looked at what a 970sli can do 4K is still fairly out of reach in most games.

The reviews i saw Farcry 3 1080p 4xMSAA 128fps avg which was just bang on what i required for my FG2421. When i bump to 3840x2160 you see that most games will still be unplayable so would it be wise to even bother waiting for 8GB clearly its still lacking a bit of grunt yet?

bf4_3840_2160.gif

No where near playable on two for me personally only 46fps.

bf4_1920_1080.gif

Sweet spot at 120hz?

crysis3_1920_1080.gif

4K is out the window here for sure this looks like 1080p max.

farcry3_1920_1080.gif

Again 1080p sweetspot.

metro_lastlight_1920_1080.gif

Physx is off so even struggling at 1080p to hit full 120 frames.

thief_3840_2160.gif

One of the few games you can crank up 4K.

Last edited:
Associate
I have decided to give SLI a go on my new Matx build... decided on the overclocked EVGA 970's...

Gonna be running these in the new Air 240 with H100 in the front so hopefully plenty of air to blow across the cards..

if heat is a problem due to the confined space I will flog them and get a 980.

Back
Top Bottom