• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
Why would you go to all that trouble to put a "dummy" heatpipe in there?

Very bizzare :confused:

Theyve reused the cooler from a kepler board without any modification, as the third pipe doesnt contact the chip they didnt bother filling it, it reeks of cost cutting and you end up with poorer cooling than even the reference cooler

Caporegime
Theyve reused the cooler from a kepler board without any modification, as the third pipe doesnt contact the chip they didnt bother filling it, it reeks of cost cutting and you end up with poorer cooling than even the reference cooler

Is that the ACX 1.0 or the ACX 2.0?

Either way, pretty shoddy. I was thinking of getting the EVGA cards as well..

Soldato
I doubt it would affect the ACX 2.0 since that is a new cooler for the 900 series. Makes sense that it's the ACX 1.0 as that is the old cooler hence reusing old heatsinks.

Associate
Guys, I'm waiting for OcUK to get more 980's in stock but whilst I wait is anyone favouring any particular brand or are they all pretty much the same?

I will be going for a reference design as I want to watercool the card in the future. I heard EVGA had some coil whine but I am sure this is not a problem with most.

Associate
Is that the ACX 1.0 or the ACX 2.0?

Either way, pretty shoddy. I was thinking of getting the EVGA cards as well..

So was I tbh... I think EVGA need to address this on these forums and give us a few answers :confused: I was planing on x2 EVGA 980's with this ACX cooler upon release!

Does this obvious fail in quality control apply right across the 9-series range with the ACX cooler or is it fixed with the 2.0 version?

Associate
Besides it is a balls up in terms of engineering/pride, i don't think it will make any difference to the cooling performance.

In acx 1.0 they didnt even have copper cooler direct contact, it was just a lug of nickel coated something.

The EVGA's are awesome for the price for SC if you want to toss the cooler off and use water cooling.

Caporegime
Besides it is a balls up in terms of engineering/pride, i don't think it will make any difference to the cooling performance.

In acx 1.0 they didnt even have copper cooler direct contact, it was just a lug of nickel coated something.

The EVGA's are awesome for the price for SC if you want to toss the cooler off and use water cooling.

It does effect cooling, the card is louder and hotter than the competition.

Soldato
Probably ordered when the pound took a hammering before the no vote. Shop around there are other places with stock and even those that don't will likely be getting some in the next week.

Back
Top Bottom