• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
Awesome, Ill wait then instead of jumping on the bandwagon right away. Hopefully EVGA might release a 8GB card too.

After the kingpin debacle I am happy sticking to 980 reference cards for this cycle. Getting enough custom cards out of the door at the right time has been a problem for EVGA since year dot although their marketing and products are usually excellent along with the value add they do re: warranty and step-up.

There is no way I could watercool 4 x 980 8+8 pin cards correctly anyway or, provide them with enough power using a single PSU and so its swings and roundabouts. No doubt this wait is easier for single card users on air as the cooler on the 780ti Classified was peerless in some respects.

As for the 980 Ti, a bigger chip and even higher clocks bring their own problems and the standard non Ti card might be the sweetest for multi-card rigs unless, you want to go chiller and dual-psu. Quad 980's at stock provide more than enough grunt for 4k at 60fps or 1440p at 120hz without melting through the floor (Superman 3 style).

If Nvidia does not change approach, the Titan 2 will be too expensive for me to consider flashing with a custom bios and so that rules out that option for me unless they price it more appropriately (the run out EVGA Titan Z Hydro is listed at over 2,100 Euros each).

A die shrink will surely change this power/heat situation with the full-fat Maxwell's at 1.4v. The trade-off being potentially even higher per card costs. I fear for my bank balance as a 20nm will solve my current heat/power draw concerns with 4 cards. Unless I install a chiller....

I cant see them releasing the 980 ti before the Titan, they will want to sell their higher margin full fat maxwell cards first and then collar the 980 brigade for a 6 month upgrade. I would wager a March/April release for a 980 ti and the Titan 2 well before that.

AMD camp strangely quiet, maybe Roy is allowing Nvidia a nice launch week party so he can crash it ;)

Last edited:
Associate
yes from OCUK.

I haven't seen any increase in the prices since last week. Would be very odd for the price to rise a week after launch, are you sure you aren't confusing something :rolleyes:

This issue with the ACX cooler on the EVGA cards, has anyone found a strip down of the ACX 2.0 on the interwebs to see if the issue is there too?

Soldato
Associate
Associate
Associate
I thinking of getting a Zotac GTX 970. I currently have A GTX 760 with a Phenom II x4 955 BE OC 3.4GH . I am a little worried about bottlenecking.

I thinking I might get a i5 4690k and motherboard bundle instead. Any advice?

Mobster
Soldato
I haven't seen any increase in the prices since last week. Would be very odd for the price to rise a week after launch, are you sure you aren't confusing something :rolleyes:

This issue with the ACX cooler on the EVGA cards, has anyone found a strip down of the ACX 2.0 on the interwebs to see if the issue is there too?

Same prices as release : /

I must be mistaken then :confused::(

Soldato
Theyve reused the cooler from a kepler board without any modification, as the third pipe doesnt contact the chip they didnt bother filling it, it reeks of cost cutting and you end up with poorer cooling than even the reference cooler

It's the cooler from the GTX760, which also only had the main two heat pipes touching the die and the minor one not touching it.

EVGA_Ge_Force_GTX_760_SC_ACX_20.jpg

NOTE: THIS IMAGE IS A GTX760 NOT A GTX970, IT'S JUST TO SHOW THE COOLER IS THE SAME AND FITS THE SAME.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom