• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

OcUK Staff
no competitor talk please, ordered couple :)

but not holding my breath for that one.

I'll probably purchase Strix 970 in few weeks anyway, but got me excited.

Way below what MSI sell to us at, good luck!
Also no mention or hinting of competitors or pricing, even if an error. :)

Associate
Right got my 980 and my Swift through a while ago. One question though about downclocking on the desktop and 144Hz. If I have my refresh rate at 144Hz then the 980 only downclocks as far as 911MHz but if I set it to 120Hz the core goes down to 135MHz. Any way to get it to downclock more while using 144Hz?

Associate
Right got my 980 and my Swift through a while ago. One question though about downclocking on the desktop and 144Hz. If I have my refresh rate at 144Hz then the 980 only downclocks as far as 911MHz but if I set it to 120Hz the core goes down to 135MHz. Any way to get it to downclock more while using 144Hz?

I'd also like to know if there's a way as I've not been able to find one other than setting the desktop resolution to 120Hz. As this happened on the 780Ti as well, I don't think there will be a way to do this and it's a trade off between 144Hz/higher utilisation and temps, or 120Hz and low power use.

Associate
Right, I could be the owner of a new msi gtx 980 in a few days. A certain website mispriced it but they've changed it back now before I impulse bought a second one lol. The item is no longer available on the website and there's no ETA, so here's hoping it is honored.
Anyways I know that the 256 bit bus will hold it back a bit at 1600p, but will it make a difference at 2560x1080? Hopefully with it being a much smaller res i'll be ok

Associate
Have my EVGA 980 SC up and running and boy it is impressive what it does with what it has. The DSR is amazing too.

Running at GPU boosting up 1525MHz and it beats my old 780 ti all while total system has gone from 430W down to 350W.

It is interesting what NVidia is doing, not throwing MHz anymore (yes i know i'm overclocking) at speed but finding other ways to get more out of GPUs, which they will need to for the future 4K gaming sweet cards.

Associate
I'd also like to know if there's a way as I've not been able to find one other than setting the desktop resolution to 120Hz. As this happened on the 780Ti as well, I don't think there will be a way to do this and it's a trade off between 144Hz/higher utilisation and temps, or 120Hz and low power use.

A friend of mine just linked me this. Seems to be a common problem with the Swift at 144Hz.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...cks-and-temps-when-running-ROG-Swift-at-144hz

Associate
Seems like these cards are pretty much a waste of time from all the reviews I have seen and the performance gain from current GPU's.

Caporegime
Seems like these cards are pretty much a waste of time from all the reviews I have seen and the performance gain from current GPU's.

Depends on what card you have at the moment. Coming from the 600 series, they are great. From the 780/780Ti/290x, more of a side step/refresh.

Back
Top Bottom