• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
They could have shifted the pipes to the left and gotten on half of each.
They could have shifted the pipes to the left and made them slightly thinner and had them all full on which would shut people up.

The first of those would have actually reduced the coolers performance, the pipe that's not on the core is much less important than the main two.

They could have added a cold plate to spread the heat, just like MSI have - http://cdn.overclock.net/0/0b/0b19c93e_msi970-6b.jpeg

ASUS and Gigabyte both got three/four heatpipes directly over the core,

http://cdn.overclock.net/1/17/17a2eaa8_asus970-10b.jpeg
http://cdn.overclock.net/d/d9/d909ca52_Image_04S.jpeg

ASUS have got two minor pipes and one major pipe over the core, compared to EVGA getting two major pipes over the core I don't really see it making a world of difference TBH, but I fully agree that adding an IHS like MSI did would be a good idea.

As for the MSI design, It's obviously better as it has four pipes

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The bottom PCI-E would work in crossfire for x8/x4/x4, what im saying is using 2 Nvidia cards just using the 1st and 3rd full length PCI-E slots at x8/x8, that would then free up an extra PCI_E4 x1 slot as well as the PCI_E1 slot that's always free.

The way that sounded it was if it was trying to explain why 3 Nvidia cards cannot be used due to the limitation of x8/x8 being the mininum for SLI to be used.

Not sure I explained that okay... lol :)

I'll write on the MSI forums and find out. :)

I think the way it works is as soon as you put a card in slot 3 it becomes a x4 slot only. So even if the top slot stayed at x16, the bottom would be x4 still and so SLI wouldn't work.

Soldato
barmyllama said:
I think the way it works is as soon as you put a card in slot 3 it becomes a x4 slot only. So even if the top slot stayed at x16, the bottom would be x4 still and so SLI wouldn't work.
Cheers, yeah that's what I was wondering, what a bummer eh lol

I like the MSI Z97 Gaming 5/7 but not the Killer NIC, hear it's got higher CPU usage i.e. 6% and slight lag in FPS games? I was going to buy an Intel Gigabit PRO/1000 CT Desktop Adapter PCI-express (EXPI9301CT) and use my Soundblaster ZXR in the top slot.

I guess I could always go Soundblaster Omni via USB, or just buy a Z97 board with the Intel I218-V NIC built in, less hassle lol. :)

Soldato
The bottom PCI-E would work in crossfire for x8/x4/x4, what im saying is using 2 Nvidia cards just using the 1st and 3rd full length PCI-E slots at x8/x8, that would then free up an extra PCI_E4 x1 slot as well as the PCI_E1 slot that's always free.

The way that sounded it was if it was trying to explain why 3 Nvidia cards cannot be used due to the limitation of x8/x8 being the mininum for SLI to be used.

Not sure I explained that okay... lol :)

I'll write on the MSI forums and find out. :)

according to the spec sheet for your motherboard, the third PCIE16 slot is a 4x only, so for SLI you HAVE to use the top two full length slots to get x8/x8

Soldato
andybird123 said:
according to the spec sheet for your motherboard, the third PCIE16 slot is a 4x only, so for SLI you HAVE to use the top two full length slots to get x8/x8
Yeah you're right. I haven't bought a Z97 board yet, I just read an article about the MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC and that says exactly the same as you said.

Link >> https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183478

I guess all Z97 series motherboards are the same? I've never used 2 cards in SLI before.

Back
Top Bottom