• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX680 Low FPS?

Associate
Id try push for 16GB too, should "future proof it" for a while. DDR3 Dual, best you can get, i5 2500k, Z77 board.

This is a terrible idea for several reasons.

1. 16GB when you need it will be cheaper then than it is now.

2. Windows 7 Home Premium has an address space of 16GB. This means that only 16GB of memory can be mapped into its virtual address space. So having 16GB of physical RAM, and then with two GPUs mapping VRAM into user address space is going to eat into available memory. Add other hardware devices mapping areas of the virtual memory space and this goes down even further. You will not be able to fully derive the benefit for the full 16GB you paid for using Windows 7 Home.

3. There is very little you could do that would render 8GB insufficient

For these reasons, it would be foolish to just get 16GB

Man of Honour
Weather you believe the thread starter is irrelevant. He posted asking a question which in turn deserves an answer. If you feel the need to reply then make it constructive otherwise just ignore... No one is forcing a reply from anyone. Those who accuse others of trolling are indeed trolls themselves.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
It is hard for enthusiasts to understand how someone could have ended up with 2 top end graphics cards and a top end PSU yet still be running an ancient MB/CPU.
Still it appears this has happenend.
Could be some on this forum are to blame with all the 'q6600 is still good enough' nonsense.
Maybe highly overclocked the q6600 might be OK with one 6800 but two no chance.
The OP's MB is not suitable for q6600 overclocking, 3Ghz maybe if he is lucky.

Suggestions have already been made about selling/returning one of the cards.
This is an option but i get the feeling the OP wants to use both cards.

So the only other option is to replace the MB/CPU.
This isn't as bad as it sounds the OP already has the graphics cards and a a very good PSU, no doubt a case, hard drives opticals etc.

What is required is a Z68 MB and a 2500k with 8GB ram
Frankly if the OP has managed to get 2 6800's and a 1200w corsair then i don't forsee a problem with obtaining the rest of the required components to finish off the gaming PC.

Last edited:
Associate
Wow, it looks like I have caused a bit of a fuss by calling troll.

But lets look back at what the OP has said.

1. He has a low spec computer which just happens to have a 1200w PSU in it.
2. Rather than upgrading the computer he spends £800 on 680s
3. He tries to overclock by straightaway banging 2v through the CPU (despite reading guides)
4. 2v casues smoke to emit from the CPU

How much of the above seems in any way likely?

His only reply to the thread was to mention how he just put 2v through his CPU and he is playing the old "mummy and daddy bought me" card, classic trolling.

Permabanned
Caporegime
Wow, it looks like I have caused a bit of a fuss by calling troll.

But lets look back at what the OP has said.

1. He has a low spec computer which just happens to have a 1200w PSU in it.
2. Rather than upgrading the computer he spends £800 on 680s
3. He tries to overclock by straightaway banging 2v through the CPU (despite reading guides)
4. 2v casues smoke to emit from the CPU

How much of the above seems in any way likely?

His only reply to the thread was to mention how he just put 2v through his CPU and he is playing the old "mummy and daddy bought me" card, classic trolling.

Don't let it worry you so much. If you thought he was a troll, then you should have said nothing.

Soldato
I dont see how you can fit a pair of double slot cards on the P5N-D if you are using SATA drives because ther lower card will block the sata ports.

But if the OP is being serious then like others have said return oner of the cards and upgrade your mobo. cpu and ram.

Associate
29th Mar 2012, 22:04
overcrocker
This message has been deleted by Admiral Huddy. Reason: Don't post unless you have nothing constructive to add

>.<! Feel sorry for the op :)

Back
Top Bottom