Guess & Test - A New Exciting Motherboard From MSI

Soldato
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk

it will be named. The shape of the board and IO shield makes it seems like it has to be this. No fan so it's not a X570.

Last edited:
Associate
My guess is it is MAG lineup, MSI B550 Tomahawk. It is an existing range and very well known/popular, successor to my awesome b450 Tomahawk Max and this time comes with Wi Fi(Awesome)
, No fan for the chipset and Vram heatsink hints to Tomahawk series I doubt it is B550 Carbon AC or Mortar WiFi based on the design.
I have been following leaks on b550 and x570 very closely and, both expected to release June 16th, and since X570 has been introduced a while ago, almost certain at this time this is B550 Tomahawk!

Associate
from the press release its almost certain to be:

MAG B550 TOMAHAWK

The military totem style shows a rigid and stable design. MAG B550 TOMAHAWK offers essential specifications and features for the mainstream gaming PC market. Dual LAN including 2.5G LAN and Gigabit LAN provides both faster intranet and internet experience. Extended Heatsink Design, 2x M.2 Shield Frozr and PCB with 2oz thickened copper all enhance heat dissipation effects. Other features including Flash BIOS Button, Pre-installed I/O Shielding, and Front Type-C all provide more convenience for gamers.

:)

Associate
Full specification of the Tomahawk and some 3 other MSI B550 cards can be found at https://www.msi.com/Motherboards#? abd the Tomahawk spec can be seen at https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK/Overview

It confirms two things, a lot of people have said this card has Wifi and it doesn't and I still need to X570 version if I go for a PC-o11 XL case - as there is only 1 usb3.0 header instead of the 2 in the X570 version.

And I think I'll have to go for the XL case as looks like the PC-O11 Razer I ordered (bought elsewhere as overclockers didn't have stock) seems to have got lost in the post.

Soldato
Yep, fair enough, quite clearly the B550 Tomahawk. Right number of caps and, annoyingly, they've expanded that heatsink to the same size as the Mortar series, which is what threw me.

Oh well.

Associate
Full specification of the Tomahawk and some 3 other MSI B550 cards can be found at https://www.msi.com/Motherboards#? abd the Tomahawk spec can be seen at https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK/Overview

It confirms two things, a lot of people have said this card has Wifi and it doesn't and I still need to X570 version if I go for a PC-o11 XL case - as there is only 1 usb3.0 header instead of the 2 in the X570 version.

And I think I'll have to go for the XL case as looks like the PC-O11 Razer I ordered (bought elsewhere as overclockers didn't have stock) seems to have got lost in the post.

yeah I guess they are aiming for a lower price point with this chipset which makes sense

Soldato
Hope the carbon is able to match Master and Taichi with 3 m.2's and 1000amps ...

Does look a stunning board, feel sorry for the x570 version though. B550 pretty much the replacement for x570 until x670 rolls out

Associate
OP
I did, but there was a LOT of reading to do, and the writing was super teeny. When do they turn up to harvest organs, that was likely hidden in there somewhere as well ;) :p

Organs will be summarily harvested in the coming weeks

Uh... I mean...

Sorry about the wall of T&Cs, we have to for anything remotely giveaway-like for legal reasons. It's all boring junk but it saves That Guy from ruining it for all of us!

Also yes, winner announced 16th June for Good Reasons that you'll have to wait to find out. But it'll be worth the wait, trust us. A lot of very nice goodies to come along with that beautiful motherboard!

Associate
Organs will be summarily harvested in the coming weeks

Uh... I mean...

Sorry about the wall of T&Cs, we have to for anything remotely giveaway-like for legal reasons. It's all boring junk but it saves That Guy from ruining it for all of us!

Also yes, winner announced 16th June for Good Reasons that you'll have to wait to find out. But it'll be worth the wait, trust us. A lot of very nice goodies to come along with that beautiful motherboard!

I'm excited for the x570 tomahawk any idea when the 5 of us who managed to grab the early pre-order will be getting them? As the eta for the batch is 3rd of June will it be earlier?

Back
Top Bottom