Guide for HTPC

Soldato
Ye should be plain sailing form there. "MPC xml", "media player classic xml file" in google didnt show anything useful though.... :(

I think the media player classic plugin inside eventghost is buggered! I get loads of errors when i try to import the actions file :/

Whats wrong with mediaplayer 11? I can get that working with mce remote & MP.

Soldato
aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh eventghost wipes out mediaportal & mce support. I think you will have to install the mediaportal plugin inside eventghost lol...... i dont think its worth it :p

im just gonna adjust levels in ffdshow if i think its to bright :p

All this remote business has made my head hurt, enough is enough. I'm calling it a day.

Soldato
OP
Whats wrong with mediaplayer 11? I can get that working with mce remote & MP.

WMP 11 is good. I've compared WMPC, WMPC-HC, KMPlayer, WMP 11 and MediaPortal and its only MP which is the odd one out.

If WMP 11 can be controlled just like MP's built in player (play, pause, ffd & rwd in steps, stop and close WMP11) within MP then its a win win situation.

Soldato
OP
aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh eventghost wipes out mediaportal & mce support. I think you will have to install the mediaportal plugin inside eventghost lol...... i dont think its worth it :p

im just gonna adjust levels in ffdshow if i think its to bright :p

All this remote business has made my head hurt, enough is enough. I'm calling it a day.

I don't blame you. I tried for yonks in the past and eventually gave up. Its just not worth the headache.

Soldato
You got WMPC or KMPlayer working with it?

Not tried, but it allows you to map any command to any key, so there's no reason why not.

just tried event ghost, its as easy as a cheap hooker!

Dingleberry can you send me your xml file file please, would be easier for me, my brain hurts so much today?

Would you mind e-mailing it to deanbeamish at googlemail com ????

I would love you long time if you did.

I've only got it set up for basic XBMC commands, but I can still send it across if you want?

I think there's an option that's something like "disable HID commands", might wanna try playing around with that.

You should be able to do pretty much anything with EG. I think you can set it to only activate when a certain process is running, then switch back when it ends. e.g. Use MP normally, launch KMPlayer or whatever, EG activates whatever settings you've made, when you close KMP EG stops mapping the commands. Or something like that...

Soldato
Very interesting read - got a few questions if you don't mind...

There's no mention of TV - are you using a separate solution for this such as Sky+ and the HTPC is purely for other media files? I'm using VMC myself for TV as I like it but am looking at using MediaPortal for other files.

You say you're using Mediaplayer Classic - do you mean you have MediaPortal set to use this for playback rather than the built-in player? If so, how well does this work? Have you managed to get the MS Remote to control MPC well?

Soldato
OP
Very interesting read - got a few questions if you don't mind...

There's no mention of TV - are you using a separate solution for this such as Sky+ and the HTPC is purely for other media files? I'm using VMC myself for TV as I like it but am looking at using MediaPortal for other files.

You say you're using Mediaplayer Classic - do you mean you have MediaPortal set to use this for playback rather than the built-in player? If so, how well does this work? Have you managed to get the MS Remote to control MPC well?

Im using my HTPC purely for file-based playback so that's divx/xvid/avi/h264 material.

At the moment im just using KMplayer as an external player within MP and not using MP's own built in player. MP's own built in player is giving me seriously problems. Here are just to name a few:

- The playback of files is rubbish, applies some sort of overlay which makes the image lighter. Plus the image is more pixaleted.

- Serious stuttering when playing at 24hz making it unwatchable

- Stuttering on panning shots when playing at 60hz

- Sound goes out of sync when i ffd or pause.

- Sound is choppy when using SPDIF Out making it unwatchable

Non of this occurs with KMplayer.

The only thing i haven't managed to do is map controls to the MCE remote when using KMplayer or MPC.

To be honest with you im thinking of dropping MP all together and going back to the old fashioned way of just launching files in explorer

sid

sid

Soldato
My solution to this has been to use Vista MCE with a codec pack to literally play back everything including embedded AC3 and DTS. You'll have to configure AC3filter for that though.

I can then set MCE to monitor certain folders (well entire partitions)

The files maintain folder structure so are easily navigable.

I don't have DVDs ripped to the HDD as that is just too much effort and hassle.

Associate
Ok so I set up Medial Portal 2 weeks ago and have been using it with the tv series plug in ever since.
I like it. It took me a couple of days to get my remote working so I could control the playback of videos. (I have a logitech harmony one)

I cant get that moving pictures to work it detects my movie files fine but when it goes to get the info nothing happens it just sits there. This could be because Im using windows 7 though so when I get back next weekend I might reinstall vista.

The dvd playback using medial portals built in dvd player is crap. The screen isn`t in the right aspect ratio and my remote dosen`t work so I might see what I can do with it when I reinstall vista next week.

I don`t have and HD material so I cant test that part.I will update with pictures and specs next weekend when I get back from this course I am doing

Soldato
To be honest with you im thinking of dropping MP all together and going back to the old fashioned way of just launching files in explorer
Doesn't surprise me tbh - I had no end of trouble last time I tried to use it.

I've lost count of how many posts I've seen from MP fanboys rubbishing Windows Media Center and going on about how fantasting MP is yet my experience has been that it's a half-finished piece of software that's rife with issues. I was hoping it had matured a bit since the last time I tried it but it doesn't sound like it.

My solution to this has been to use Vista MCE with a codec pack to literally play back everything including embedded AC3 and DTS. You'll have to configure AC3filter for that though.
I do the same although I've yet to find a slick way of adjusting the refresh rate between 50Hz and 24Hz when playing 24fps material. Media Center really doesn't like you trying to mess with the refresh rate :(

I've done a total reinstall of VMC this weekend incorporating the TV Pack 2008 update as I wanted to try multiple tuners but it's been an unmitigated disaster. Basically, with just a single tuner present, the guide channel editor is a bug-ridden mess which has totally screwed all my channels up. Put it this way - if I now select channel 143 from the guide, it changes the STB to channel 142 and thinks it's tuned to channel 145 - totally screwed and there's nothing I can do to fix it in the guide editor.

Going to reinstall from scratch again tomorrow without the TV Pack - stay away from it until they've fixed it, it's basically beta code from Windows 7 at present.

Last edited:

sid

sid

Soldato
I'm not sure I understand what you mean mean by changing refresh rates?

You mean 24hz for the tv?

i doubt mine can do that as its an old one

sid

sid

sid

Soldato
Yep, changing the refresh rate of the graphics card to 24Hz - obviously only if your TV can support it.

Can't say I've had problems with 24p tbh. I've tried bluerays from ps3 and they seem fine to me without having to change the refresh rate.

Back
Top Bottom