guy martin on ch4 tv

Soldato
Pikes Peak was always something he was doing with his own bike anyway. The C4 series was just a bit of extra funding. As for the other episodes, part of the charm is that it's 'British boffins' vs the records. It's not about the budgets.

Man of Honour
True, but it needs more budgets, the amounts if times they've failed due to having just one day to best it is silly, that doesn't take huge amounts of funding.

Soldato
Just caught up on both.

Hovercraft one was pretty good. Why oh why didn't they fix it up properly over nigth and try again teh next day though? Channel 4 budget must suck!

The go-kart one was pretty good. Shame he absolutely totaled it, I bet he could have gone quickerif they'd put a crash barrier at the bottom for him to crash into instead of relying on brakes. Still pretty decent though lol.

Until next series I suppose.
For the hovercraft (or any speed record) both runs have to be completed within a short amount of time (normally an hour I think), so they couldn't spend hours repairing it, plus I'd imagine they only had conditions/people measuring the speed/use of the loch/etc etc for a single day.

The gravity speed record - the rules were pretty well explained - which included needing to make a controlled stop at the bottom. He did go quicker (90mph was mentioned) on the run he crashed on, but it didn't count, because he crashed ;)

One

One

Soldato
For the hovercraft (or any speed record) both runs have to be completed within a short amount of time (normally an hour I think), so they couldn't spend hours repairing it, plus I'd imagine they only had conditions/people measuring the speed/use of the loch/etc etc for a single day.

That was kind of my point about the channel 4 budget sucking. Just pay the speed measurers/loch owners for another day after getting it properly fixed, also get some ballast in the front. It just felt very slapdash and they turned what could have been a world record into a lesser achievement.

The gravity speed record - the rules were pretty well explained - which included needing to make a controlled stop at the bottom. He did go quicker (90mph was mentioned) on the run he crashed on, but it didn't count, because he crashed ;)

Ahh fair enough, I didn't realise that was a rule. Also didn't hear them mention the 90mph bit lol.

As with both series really, Guy had the potential to be very epic, but due to a number of preventable (imo) constraints he was refined to being just awesome.

Man of Honour
He's got another series starting on Sunday

Our Guy in India(Documentary)

Sunday, February 1st, 2015 on Channel 4 from 9:00pm to 10:05pm

Image for Our Guy in India

Guy Martin has a love for adventure and they don't come much bigger than an epic 1000-mile trip across India, culminating in one of the world's maddest bike races. Rider Mania is the largest gathering of Royal Enfield motorbikes on the planet. Guy wants to ride there and win it at the end of his two-week trip. Along the way, Guy, with his love of tea, lorry repair, motorbikes and daredevil risk taking, introduces viewers to a rarely-seen side of modern India. Only Guy would want to visit the largest lorry repair yard in Asia.

One

One

Soldato
Sounds good. I'll be at a gig in Leeds before kicking back with a few beers and some pizza for the super bowl though so I'll have to catch it on 4od :p

Associate
Guy Martin reminds me of the Fred Dibnah programs.

SO passionate about engineering. I remember watching the original series about restoring a canal boat and sailing ( if that is the term for canal boats? ) around the canals of England , I had never heard of him before that, was amazed he was a TT rider.

I really like his programs. :)

Back
Top Bottom