Gym Etiquette Thread

Soldato
What things really annoy you when you go to the Gym ? Feel that people should do things one way instead of annoying you? Post here!

I'll Start.

When you're a machine and the person who wants it next comes and stands next to the machine and stares at you! ARGH :mad: gets me miffed.

Also, when people get on a high demand piece of equipment and whip their phone out and begin texting ARGH :( annoying!

Associate
i know its really selfish but at my gym there is like only 4 benches, and when there is some scrawny little guy on there pressing 10kg dumbells i get really riled for no reason, almost as though i have a right to be on it more cos i'm going to be lifting 34's.

stupid i know...

Soldato
As soon as I got myself in place on a weight machine thing that exercises your anterior deltoid some guy just goes "will you be long? can you be quick?" i just stood up, patience dude, he wasn't even rushing towards it or anything when the guy got off it before. :rolleyes:

He stayed for about 30mins longer after that. gawwwdd.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
People sitting there doing nothing when it's busy is annoying. They've been on a machine for ten minutes, nine of which they were staring into space. **** or get off the pot, so to speak.

Don't have many issues with other people any more; get to the gym at work at 7.30 in the morning and I'll often be the only person there. :p

Soldato
Busy gyms irritate me. I cannot stand having to wait for a machine or bench.

I rarely ever go in the evenings early in the week anymore...

Soldato
The weights room I go to is empty at 10 in the morning so all I have to do is not set the whole place alight and I am ok :p

Soldato
My absolute biggest gripe is people who curl in the squat rack! It makes my blood boil just thinking about it! :mad:

Here are a few more that annoy me:

Personal Trainers who upon seeing you do a full squat insist on interrupting you mid set to tell you that squatting below parallel is bad for your knees. :rolleyes:

The "charms" crew. All those kids who do nothing but train their chests and arms with a thousand different isolation sets, then walk around with their chests puffed thinking they are "it". These kids are always tiny and wonder why they never grow.

People who attempt to lift far more weight than they can handle and rely far too heavily on their spotter because of it. I have been asked to spot someone before while he was benching and ended up having to do one hell of an upright row just to prevent the idiot from crushing his ribcage. Then he says "thanks" and loads up the bar even more! :eek:

God... I could go on and on! :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Groups of kids that take up every ******* piece of equipment and try to lift as much as they can at their first attempt.

People that leave snail trails

People that use weights and don't put them back where they belong

Idiots that try to teach people how to use each piece of equipment when they have no idea themselves

Permabanned
people who dont take a towel in to wipe down the gear

people who stay on treadmills over 30 mins when its really really really busy

muscleheads who sneer at you if you go near the freeweights to use a weight they obviously consider inferior

Just snobbery in general towards people who are just trying to get fit.

Soldato
neil3k said:
When you're a machine and the person who wants it next comes and stands next to the machine and stares at you! ARGH :mad: gets me miffed.

lol I always do that when its busy, I cant be arsed waiting around. I dont do it always though! An even better way is "can I rep with you?" they say ok and then go lol, I dont mind when people ask me though - why wait 5 mins whilst the person is doing nothing?

for me;

1) careless idiots - some guy took 60kg off one side of a bar or something and all I saw was this thing just miss my ankles and fly past my head and all he said was "sorry" so quite. Im always a knob with him now but meh he deserves it!

2) People who lift heavyweights and make noises so everyone looks, especially those who lift like 2 reps and run off....why???

3) Chavs? Kevs? dunno what they called but they have football shoes with their joggers tucked in their football socks, big jumper, burberry cap and a chian. 2 lifts on the bench and out they go lol

4) People who stare at you - WHY??? I am so sorry for going to the damn gym I didnt mean to be born!!!!!

5) Using the gym for a photoshoot....today I wanted to use the punch bag and three guys are taking lots of pics.... :rolleyes:

Soldato
Fit girls who don't wear tight gym gear. :(

:p:D

People who think they know everything about weight lifting but don't consider nutrition as an important aspect. :rolleyes:

Also people who say that they are going to have a great six-pack because they are doing so many crunches...

Soldato
For me its people who sit there taking up a bench or stand around in the squat rack talking. They usually go to the gym with five of their mates, do a two hour session and do three exercises of two reps each.

Also, in the gym I go to one or two of the big (fat) lifters have a bully mentality and walk away from a piece of kit, then say to somebody "I'm still using that mate" with a glare. I don't stand for that though, I didn't see their name on it.

Associate
the main problem i have with my gym is its too damn small.

i cant stand it when its busy, it puts me right off. Theres always one guy as well that does about a million sets on the smith machine.

Another is the people that use really heavy dumbbells and then just drop them on the floor. Not only is the sound annoying, they make all the dumbbells loose meaning it could drop on the next persons head/foot at any moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom