Gym Etiquette Thread

Soldato
Look entirely disinterestedly at everybody, and everything.
They dont matter, YOU on the other hand are a mighty collosus, striding through the gym like a modern day Nike clad gladiator going forth to do battle with the evil that is the "machine with lots of pulleys and weights that you sit on and stick your legs in"

Ed

Ed

Soldato
I can't believe you tetchy load of tarts. What's the matter with you all? Get your fat backsides out of bed in the morning and hit the gym when the doors open and all your problems disappear.

:p

Associate
nealw said:
i know its really selfish but at my gym there is like only 4 benches, and when there is some scrawny little guy on there pressing 10kg dumbells i get really riled for no reason, almost as though i have a right to be on it more cos i'm going to be lifting 34's.

stupid i know...

yes and the first time you entered a gym you were doing 34's right ?!?!?! :rolleyes:

Hell, if i held your attitude i'd be gettin annoyed at you as i'd be lifting 40's

Soldato
Not really a gym gripe but I suspected all the above problems would happen in a gym so I bought my own equipment and stuck it in a garage :D This way I can work out when I want and spend as much time as I want down there.I do apreciate though that this isn't an option for a lot of people.

I'm only just starting out though (4 weeks) and am under no illusions that I'll need to go to a gym as the weight increases but I really don't want to :(

My bench will hold 150kg on the barbell so it should last a while.

I have no problems motivating myself ( one of the main reasons given to me in favour of joining a gym) but heavy home gym equipment is soo expensive.

Associate
Aside from the muscleheads thinking they own the equipment, people sitting on machines in between sets and people using two machines at peak times,

its the staff and personal trainers who walk past people obv suffering/doing thing wrong and do bugger all, a quick 1 min chat or so could create a more friendly atmosphere and generate a bit more business for the personal trainers

and all the fit women who train in a group on the x-trainers and dont leave me one right in the middle of em...... :p

Associate
Boy where do i start....

People who do bicep curl after bicep curl, if they have to waste their energy/time they could atleast use the correct form.
People who use machines
People who bench with their elbows sticking out and then wonder why they can't lift heavy weight.
People who get the spotter to do 90% of the work
People who dont lift enough weight. Good to see people picking up weight that will really blast their balls off, even if they only manage 2 reps.
People who dont do Close Grip bench press should be shot.
People who dont Squat/Deadlift should also be shot.
People who mention the word tone should be tortured.
People who stare at me wen i do cuban rotations.
People who do upright rows

to mention but a few.

Soldato
The_Judge said:
Boy where do i start....

People who do bicep curl after bicep curl, if they have to waste their energy/time they could atleast use the correct form.
People who use machines
People who bench with their elbows sticking out and then wonder why they can't lift heavy weight.
People who get the spotter to do 90% of the work
People who dont lift enough weight. Good to see people picking up weight that will really blast their balls off, even if they only manage 2 reps.
People who dont do Close Grip bench press should be shot.
People who dont Squat/Deadlift should also be shot.
People who mention the word tone should be tortured.
People who stare at me wen i do cuban rotations.
People who do upright rows

to mention but a few.

Ive got to agree with all that!

Ed

Ed

Soldato
Oakesy2001uk said:
Ive got to agree with all that!
Why? You're both on the verge of also hating people with ginger hair with those examples. If people pay good money to weed out on a bench then let them. It has to be better than smoking or some other meaningless pastime.

Some points in this post are valid such as people leaving sweat behind and people hogging benches while they're between sets at peak times but that's just inconsideration.

The heat in this thread from some of the most insignificant actions is unbelievable and I though exercise reduced stress...

Soldato
spinneR~uk said:
Why? You're both on the verge of also hating people with ginger hair with those examples. If people pay good money to weed out on a bench then let them. It has to be better than smoking or some other meaningless pastime.

Some points in this post are valid such as people leaving sweat behind and people hogging benches while they're between sets at peak times but that's just inconsideration.

The heat in this thread from some of the most insignificant actions is unbelievable and I though exercise reduced stress...

No im not, I dislike people who go to the gym think the fact they are there is enough to get them where they want to be. Although I suppose it their problem, whats the point in going if you are going to lift too heavy and let your spot pick it up for you, helping the last one or 2 maybe, but a spot is ther for safety and to egg you on.if your not gonna try then you might as well stay at home!

Ed

Ed

Soldato
Oakesy2001uk said:
...whats the point in going if you are going to lift too heavy and let your spot pick it up for you... ...if your not gonna try then you might as well stay at home...
Yeah but it's their money, their choice. How does that affect you? I still don't see the point of disliking them for it.

Associate
The_Judge said:

to mention but a few.
that goes against what most bodybuilders say

Soldato
I think you lot are going to a naff gym :D

Where me and a couple of me mates go it's dirty, cold and dingy and most of the machines are broke. Consequently, it's cheap, never too busy and you have to use a lot of freeweights. Perfect :D

Ok, perhaps the lack of totty is annoying but hey ho, can't have everything.

Soldato
spinneR~uk said:
Yeah but it's their money, their choice. How does that affect you? I still don't see the point of disliking them for it.
This thread isnt about disliking people, its about pet hates, it annoys me that some people dont try and think the fact that there their is enogh to reach goals. if they want to wast time and money then fine, but stay outa my way and let the real men/women use the gym.
Thats my opinion, and you have yours.

Ed

Ed

Soldato
Oakesy2001uk said:
This thread isnt about disliking people, its about pet hates, it annoys me that some people dont try and think the fact that there their is enogh to reach goals. if they want to wast time and money then fine, but stay outa my way and let the real men/women use the gym.
Thats my opinion, and you have yours.
You're right of course, they are our opinions but your attitude is what most people fear when joining a gym in the first place. There money is just as good as yours to do with as they wish. Why should they stay out of your way? It's not just you I'm highlighting here, the majority of the posts in this thread are similar but instead of seeing someone further down the line than you and being angst, try being constructive and offering to spot or help out; or is that beneath you your highness?

Soldato
I tend to just go to classes at my Gym instead of using the machines because I just get soo damn bored :/

I do get miffed at the girls who turn up with more make up on than I would wear on a saturday night out , hair done in some complicated fashion and looking like a fame reject

FFS !! You're here to work out NOT to take part in some sort of fashion show :mad:

Soldato
spinneR~uk said:
You're right of course, they are our opinions but your attitude is what most people fear when joining a gym in the first place. There money is just as good as yours to do with as they wish. Why should they stay out of your way? It's not just you I'm highlighting here, the majority of the posts in this thread are similar but instead of seeing someone further down the line than you and being angst, try being constructive and offering to spot or help out; or is that beneath you your highness?

there is no need for that, I am not high and mighty and have a good rappor with a lot of people in my gym, I also give advice where I feel I can, my gripe was at people who go there and dont try and have no interest in doing so. these people frustrate me if thats ok with you.
I like to think I know a little, not a lot, but I certainly know what sort of things a begginer should be doing thanks to gordy and a few others. I spread this advice where possible and even reccomend these forums for usefull opinions. As for my highness, I am 6 foot and weigh just shy of 12 stone(12%bf) I am by no means a gym veteren and dont pretend to be, Im just trying to put on lean mass and enjoy being fit and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom