Gym Etiquette Thread

Soldato
They pays their money, they can do what they want...within reason...

I deadlift 200lbs and scream LIGHTWEIGHT!!!! in the middle of the gym. People think im cool.

Ed

Ed

Soldato
bam0 said:
Re your comment though what kind of thing might lead you to want to do so much work on a single excercise?
It depends on how they're executing the lift but weights can also provide a good form of cardio exercise. Losing weight doing something you enjoy is by far the best way to do it.

However, in your case, it does sound as though that wasn't the remit.

Associate
spinneR~uk said:
As for people walking on the treadmills, have you considered that some people need to be in a gym to be motivated to get even the smallest amounts of exercise?

Yup - I know thats right as I never used to do any form of exercise no matter how much I needed to do it, but now I have joined a gym, I couldnt just walk, I have to do something I couldnt do before, like a cross trainer, or weights, otherwise I'd quit thinking this isnt worth it, theres no way I'd join a fitness centre and pay 30 odd quid a month for just walking or cycling, althought its a motivator, I cant see it being worth 30 quid a month, you could get a second hand bike every month for that!

Permabanned
I think treadmills are the worst form of a running exercise, you get bored easily, its hard to keep a good pace, atleast if you go outisde running, you have to run back.

Caporegime
because a 2nd hand bike will be as good,
because hell, when walking and still in the right zone must be pointless,
because people dont need to be in a gym to be motivated, when at home they can easily skip an exercise, but once your at the gym your there, you do it.

its not just about walking, those people could be in the right zone for whatever they are trying to achieve. they dont need to be flat out or running to be in the right zone.

even if they arent doing anything drastically effective, they are doing something. some people dont want to just walk around the streets, some people are a bit shy of people they know seeing them for whatever reason.

Associate
Morba said:
because a 2nd hand bike will be as good,
because hell, when walking and still in the right zone must be pointless,
because people dont need to be in a gym to be motivated, when at home they can easily skip an exercise, but once your at the gym your there, you do it.

its not just about walking, those people could be in the right zone for whatever they are trying to achieve. they dont need to be flat out or running to be in the right zone.

even if they arent doing anything drastically effective, they are doing something. some people dont want to just walk around the streets, some people are a bit shy of people they know seeing them for whatever reason.

Buy a new one with 3 months membership then instead of paying a year for notihng :p

As said above, althought its no real motivation if you cycle somewhere, you have to cycle back, making you do it, you just have to have the will to actually go somewhere, which is what people lack, which annoys me, lazy so and so's :p

/puts on his flame proof coat ;)

Soldato
Efaws said:
Buy a new one with 3 months membership then instead of paying a year for notihng :p

As said above, althought its no real motivation if you cycle somewhere, you have to cycle back, making you do it, you just have to have the will to actually go somewhere, which is what people lack, which annoys me, lazy so and so's :p

/puts on his flame proof coat ;)

If theyre at the gym, how are they lazy? They obviously have the will to be there..What does it matter if they cycle in the gym or outside? Perhaps they dont have the confidence to cycle outside, risking death on our roads..Perhaps they dont wanna cycle in the cold and rain?

I think people need to stop worrying about what others do in the gym..

Just shut up and lift.

Associate
Who said they walk there? The car park at my gym is rammed, and its annoying to see people drive down, when they can walk, to go on a running machine, to walk, while people are next to it queuing up to have a go as my gym is so rampacked these days.

I appreciate what your saying, but they really annoy me, althought there not lazy for going to the gym, they are lazy in the sense there not pushing themselves.

My sister is a member of the same gym as me, I go 10-15 times a month, she goes 2-3, I caught her down there last night, are cool to see you at the gym sis, wanna do some crosstrainin? Work up a sweat? Nah.... the showers broken Im just here to have a shower Im not working out.

Soldato
Efaws said:
Who said they walk there? The car park at my gym is rammed, and its annoying to see people drive down, when they can walk, to go on a running machine, to walk, while people are next to it queuing up to have a go as my gym is so rampacked these days.

I appreciate what your saying, but they really annoy me, althought there not lazy for going to the gym, they are lazy in the sense there not pushing themselves.

My sister is a member of the same gym as me, I go 10-15 times a month, she goes 2-3, I caught her down there last night, are cool to see you at the gym sis, wanna do some crosstrainin? Work up a sweat? Nah.... the showers broken Im just here to have a shower Im not working out.

Nobody even mentioned walking mate...

How do you know whether they can walk or not? You cant possibly know about their lives...

Why does it bother you so much? Why do you even care about what other people do? Its none of your business.

and how the hell can you talk about pushing yourself when you only go 10-15 times a month??? I go every single day, does that entitle me to look down upon and criticise your lazy ass?

Associate
15 times if once every 2 days, if you knew anything about doing weights, doing it every day is not good for your muscles, they need rest to develop, not just pure pumping iron, 15 times is a damn sight more than my sisters 2-3 measly attempts

why does it bother me ? this is the etiquette thread and i dont think its right to do so, fair enuff its their money to waste, if they want to waste it, then fair enuff, at 2-3 times a week, my sister is paying 15-20 quid per gym session unless she goes more, what does she get for that? a 30 minute queue to get on the machine, followed by a 30 minute walk

ive no problem with the people doing it (althought it does nark me when i want to go for a run, and there busy burning off a couple of calories here and there from walking) but it just seems like a stupid waste of money as there not pushing themselves and there not using the gym to its full poetential, let alone their bodies, which there going there to use in the first place

Soldato
The_Judge said:
Boy where do i start....

People who do bicep curl after bicep curl, if they have to waste their energy/time they could atleast use the correct form.
People who use machines
People who bench with their elbows sticking out and then wonder why they can't lift heavy weight.
People who get the spotter to do 90% of the work
People who dont lift enough weight. Good to see people picking up weight that will really blast their balls off, even if they only manage 2 reps.
People who dont do Close Grip bench press should be shot.
People who dont Squat/Deadlift should also be shot.
People who mention the word tone should be tortured.
People who stare at me wen i do cuban rotations.
People who do upright rows

to mention but a few.

Jesus wept, this is the reason why people like me stay out of the gym.

I haven't a clue what your on about in half the stuff there, so no doubt i'd probably be doing most of it.

Very friendly attitude, no doubt you did any of these when you 1st started and you were a perfect gym user from the off!

Caporegime
ignore him, he clearly goes to the wrong sort of gym for what he does.

efaws - being in the correct BPM zone sometimes means that they wont be pushing hard. yet they are being more effective at what they do. Surely aslong as they are getting what they want from the exercise that is all that matters. If they arent, then thats another thing, but without being their personal trainer how would you know?

Associate
dokko said:
Jesus wept, this is the reason why people like me stay out of the gym.

That's a pity as the vast majority of people are not like that. I only use the gym on rest days from running so take it very easy, occasionally to the point of falling asleep... and yes i do watch the TV and slouch about in between. It's just about what you want to get out of it, personally i'd rather have dental surgery than do weightlifting but plenty of people are just the opposite ;)

Soldato
Efaws said:
15 times if once every 2 days, if you knew anything about doing weights, doing it every day is not good for your muscles, they need rest to develop, not just pure pumping iron, 15 times is a damn sight more than my sisters 2-3 measly attempts

haha please dont even try to patronise me about lifting weights mate...

I go to the gym every day and my muscles have a week to rest between each session :dunno: Not good for them? How do you work that out?

You just stick to your all body workout and keep criticising those you think are inferior :snigger:

Associate
Balddog said:
Nobody even mentioned walking mate...

How do you know whether they can walk or not? You cant possibly know about their lives...

Why does it bother you so much? Why do you even care about what other people do? Its none of your business.

and how the hell can you talk about pushing yourself when you only go 10-15 times a month??? I go every single day, does that entitle me to look down upon and criticise your lazy ass?

Other than the fact that your not entitled to look down on him, you have no need to...

Its not how often you go to the gym, its how hard you push your self when you are in the gym... some lads in my boxing gym are there nearly every day but they may as well just hang about for all the good they are doing, they move about on the bags a bit and pretend to be rocky because they like the look that goes with boxing but they are too lazy to put any actual work in.

its the same when you get people in the gym all the day who idolly stroll on a tread mill... I don't care how fit or unfit they are they seem to think that just being in the gym is enough and either have no idea of the amount of work required to actually get fit or they are just there out of pure peer pressure (its january... they've red in the papers about obesity and heart disease.. they've seen a kellogs special K advert on the Tv etc bla bla bla) and their not prepared to work for what they want and usually kid them selfs that they gave it their all for those 3 weeks they lived in the gym... and give up... using the old 'all I eat is salad, whats wrong with me, its my glands :(' excuse.

I train 4-5 times a week but I guarantee I will work a lot harder than a lot of 'gym junkies' who spend 7 days a week in a health spar.

you seem to know your stuff, unless I've got the wrong end of the stick you seem to be mistaking quanity for quality.

Soldato
Malarkee said:
Other than the fact that your not entitled to look down on him, you have no need to...

you seem to know your stuff, unless I've got the wrong end of the stick you seem to be mistaking quanity for quality.

Nah, I think you misread mate..I was saying the same as you...He seemed to think that because he went more often than others, he was somehow better...I go more often than him but it doesnt make me any better...

I go everyday but most days I only spend 45-60 mins lifting...

Associate
Balddog said:
Nah, I think you misread mate..I was saying the same as you...He seemed to think that because he went more often than others, he was somehow better...I go more often than him but it doesnt make me any better...

Gotcha... ;)

Associate
Balddog said:

I didnt say that at all, just cos they walk on the treadmill, doesnt mean they do it 7 days a week, and do more exercise than me, my example was my sister, she does a session a week, when shes pushing herself and no she doesnt push herself she does about half an hour where I tend to do a good 2 hour workout a time, and make myself break a sweat so I know its taking an effect

Back
Top Bottom