Gym Etiquette Thread

Soldato
homerio said:
I don't like people who take ages to recover between sets and spend their recovery time sat on whatever they were using. Hey buddy, I could get a set done while you sit there like a lemon, move yourself!

On that people who don't let you jump in between sets when they are taking that long recovery time. I can understand it if you'd be loading/deloading lots of plates but on a machine or when doing similar weights then i consider it impolite.

People who take 10 sets of dumbells with them into their skullcrushers or somesuch.

My main bugbear though is cleanliness. Bloody have a shower to cut out BO and take a towel for wiping away sweat or even laying under you so no sweat gets on anything in the first place. There's nothing wrong with someone who sweats in the gym just means they are working hard it's the people who come in smelling like they haven't had a shower since their last gym workout and don't get the concept of cleaning up after themselves.

Oh and put weights back correctly after use.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
today i found it really annoying, there were 2 guys using the bench press when i came in, they did 1 set, left the towel on the bench, then walked off for a chat with their mate, came back a few mins later, did the same thing, took aaaaaages to finish their sets, they spent more time walking away and chatting and wasting time then doing the sets, just leaving their towel on the bench so nobody could use it...and i was waiting for it...but luckily the dudes who were using the incline bench finished quick so i used that

Man of Honour
We are not germans walk over remove towel use bench ;) if they have a problem inform them this isnt a social club and you pay to use the equipment just as much as they do :D

Soldato
biggest gripe for me has to be gym tarts,

you are at a multi-purpose chain gym, everyone is there with different objectives, live with it, if someone is doing 6 kph on a treadmill so what they've paid as much as you have to use it.

I see a fair few times (as i go to a relatively small gym) a lot of people get really pent up when they see others using equipment less intensively than they themselves would have, so think that they have a greater right to use said piece of equipment as they would push harder.

Associate
A lot of the replies seem to be based around the gym being busy/ equipment being busy... out of interest for those people what kinda of time do you hit the gym. I go pretty late ( 8.30 or 9) and find the place is always dead, you can just do as you wish.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Lt. Manlove said:
A general lack of effort, ie using the cycle machine on level 1 for 3 minutes.

Yup thats my biggest gripe too. Drives me insane.

Also people who bring coke /red bull in as their choice of 'rehydration fluid'

Soldato
Mr.T said:
I go pretty late ( 8.30 or 9) and find the place is always dead, you can just do as you wish.

Yea I find it better when it's quite empty i.e. only 3 or 4 people in the weights room. Still somethings going on around you but not ones that will interfere with your program.

Soldato
A lad in my gym, styles his hair perfect every time, wears a LYCRA black t shirt that hugs him so tight you can see his veins. He only does bench press and curls. Inbetween sets he rests one elbow on a machine and does THE biggest pose/powt (sp?) ever. Then proceeds to walk out the gym with his arms extended a foot away from his body and chest up like a pigeon walking like he has crapped his pants.

Man, im a poser but its the gym ffs, thats way ott.

Dont have many others really :) Me and my mates just get on with it

Caporegime
People standing between me and the mirror.

Dude - This Is ME Time!!!

Actually, there's very little that gets my goat - Watching PTs doing excercises incorrectly is mildly irritating, people racing your time on the X-trainer / cycles / treadmill is just ghey, and squeeling when doing a badly formed press is attention seeking.

What really grates my cheese? Singing in the showers and naked blokes stretching in the changing room.

*shivers in disgust*

Permabanned
Borris said:
What really grates my cheese? Singing in the showers and naked blokes stretching in the changing room.

*shivers in disgust*

Oh god the showers! Trying to scrub up when all you can hear around you are people coughing up and emptying their noses every few seconds. If your lungs are producing that much phlem then you really should see a doctor!

Associate
valerian said:
trying to unsuperglue your eyes off the talent

I suffer badly from this, about four weeks ago I joined the gym at the local uni which is two minutes from my house simply because it was close/cheap. However during this one month or so period I have only seen four other guys and only one them more than once, place is full of women everytime. Textiles are the main subject matter at the uni so the student body is something like 95% women. :D

Associate
Doonhamer said:
I suffer badly from this, about four weeks ago I joined the gym at the local uni which is two minutes from my house simply because it was close/cheap. However during this one month or so period I have only seen four other guys and only one them more than once, place is full of women everytime. Textiles are the main subject matter at the uni so the student body is something like 95% women. :D

Total opposite here, our gyms are somewhat of a sausage fest!

Back
Top Bottom