***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Associate
What Delvis said, plus:

-hips can be a little high on some reps
-grip too narrow, it looks like your arms are in front of your legs
-bar should be in contact with your body for all of the rep

Grip was something I was not sure on, will drop hips and widen grip in future.

Is that weight too light? In your setup, you don't appear to be tight and secure at all.

Make sure that you're pulling on the bar before you start, to take all the slack out of it and engage your lats. Think more about pushing through your feet rather than pulling. Also the bar shouldn't exactly be travelling upwards, it should almost be travelling upwards and backwards, which ensures that it's in contact with your body all the way up.

How do your hamstrings feel in your setup? Maybe try sinking your hips lower?

Yea the weight maybe too light but I was being cautious whilst tidying up form so wat do :confused:

I rewatched the video again and did notice my shoulders/upper back droop rather than being pulled back so will have to be more conscious of this for next time.

Soldato
What rep ranges do you guys work with for bench press? I'm getting so frustrated my progress is stagnating. Literally everything else I'm making gains but my bench press is not improving. I train at 5 reps. At the moment sets are 97.5x5,95x5,95x5 but I've been stuck on that for some time now. I only train twice a week, eating 3000kcal/day, resting loads so it is definitely a training issue. I have been doing bench after my deadlifts but thinking of prioritising it as my first compound for that session. Squats/Deads I work in the 8 rep range.

Associate
For benching a stable base is crucial, and what better stable base then a strong back.

Rows are awesome here, db rows, bent over rows, pull ups are all great.
Don't neglect your triceps either, CGBP is a really good exercise.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
What rep ranges do you guys work with for bench press? I'm getting so frustrated my progress is stagnating. Literally everything else I'm making gains but my bench press is not improving. I train at 5 reps. At the moment sets are 97.5x5,95x5,95x5 but I've been stuck on that for some time now. I only train twice a week, eating 3000kcal/day, resting loads so it is definitely a training issue. I have been doing bench after my deadlifts but thinking of prioritising it as my first compound for that session. Squats/Deads I work in the 8 rep range.

Do you do any dips? I found after adding weight to my dips, my benching increased.

Soldato
Grip width should be whatever is enough for you to keep tight in the back and create the shelf for the bar - some people find they need to grip narrower to maintain the shelf and stay more upright, some don't:

Video contains swearing

Man of Honour
wozza2k: Squats are looking nice. Depth is looking nice. All looking nice.

One thing I would suggest, however, is keeping your glutes/legs under control, as your shaky knees suggest you're having to think about what your bum is doing/where it's going.

It looks fine at the current weight so there's nothing to worry about, however it might be something that prevents you sticking that extra 5/10kg on your 1RM. :)

Underboss
First session back in the gym since Sept last year due to injury tomorrow, have no idea what I should start on.

Back was my best/fav muscle grop was deadlifting 140kg for 5x5 before I injured my ankle. Clearly I won't be doing that again so soon but do you think starting on what used to be my strongest group is a good way to restart?

I'm lacking in confidence so doing something like chest where I was lacking won't help my motivation.

I'm not doing legs as I need to walk on Wednesday lol - suffer from DOMS in a big way. Leaving those for Friday so I can convalesce and cry over the weekend.

So OcUK, any help.

Man of Honour
So... You think dead lifting won't ruin your legs....? Interesting. ;)

Whilst I think you should sort your head out regarding what you think you should do, start with whatever works. You have made your own mind up, anyway. :)

Underboss
Nah deadlifting kills my legs but I can still manage to walk unaided afterwards.

I was contemplating doing shoulders too, just want to be able to walk out and feel that buzz from a decent session, part of my thinks start with chest get it done and get over it.

I text my old training partner and he said "legs, but as you cry like a girl after squats do them Friday".

Soldato
Wozza,

Deadlift: spine not neutral and hamstrings look to be shut of slightly because of it. Your back is bearing the load not your hammies/core. Try lowering your hips slightly and adopting a better spinal position.

Lockout is fine, no need to extend any further.

Shoulders back, chest up too, head in a neutral position :)

Underboss
Does anyone reconmend the stronglifts program? Doing x3 sessions a week for 6-8 weeks.

Thinking of doing -

Squat 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Bench 5x5

and then

OHP 5x5
Squat 5x5
Row 5x5

Is this worth doing as I am getting back into the swing of things?

Associate
Does anyone reconmend the stronglifts program? Doing x3 sessions a week for 6-8 weeks.

Thinking of doing -

Squat 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Bench 5x5

and then

OHP 5x5
Squat 5x5
Row 5x5

Is this worth doing as I am getting back into the swing of things?
this is a great program. I recommend this or Jason Blaha's novice program (it doesn't mean that an experienced lifter can't do it).
and doms shouldn't be an issue in a few weeks time

Back
Top Bottom