***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Associate
Hi guys

This may have already been posted (in fact I'm sure I've seen it - but can't find it now)

What's the best way to learn Olympic lifts? I've never tried them before but would like to add some to the workout.

Man of Honour
The CalStrength ones are good, as are Dmitry Klokov's seminars from the US.

There is a thread linked in the OP of the GymRats 2014 thread, which outlines some very basic bits for Olympic lifting, too. ;)

How good is your mobility (ankles, hips, back, shoulders)?

Associate
There is a thread linked in the OP of the GymRats 2014 thread, which outlines some very basic bits for Olympic lifting, too.

How good is your mobility (ankles, hips, back, shoulders)?

Only one way to find out...

Aha that's the guide I've seen before! Knew I wasn't imagining it, lets see how good this guy is as teaching the lift ;)

Man of Honour
Only one way to find out...

Aha that's the guide I've seen before! Knew I wasn't imagining it, lets see how good this guy is as teaching the lift ;)

He's a lamer - don't trust with your or anybody else's... :D

The point behind the original article was to teach people how to explode from the hips... it works but once you've worked out how to extend your hips you'll need to think about the CalStrength-type ones.

The issue is most people respond to the 'jump' cue using their quads, without extending their hips and launching off their toes, and most of the instructional videos I've seen on the internet don't explain this...

Good luck, either way. It is addictive, but horribly frustrating. :D

Email in trust if you have any questions. :)

Man of Honour
You're going low which is causing your lumbar to tuck under. This will cause you pain in your lower back as you increase the weight. Nice ankle mobility, however (assuming your heels aren't coming off the ground). :)

The second issue is that you're rocking forward upon driving out the hole and - for the first two reps - sinking forward as you descend. Whilst there are different schools of thought on how to squat (i.e. which muscles to use as the primary drivers) the main principle remains the same: keep the weight over your heels-midfoot.

In order to achieve this (bearing in mind we're not looking at how you ACTUALLY squat, because there's no weight on the bar, so this is only indicative at best), you need to try and sit down so that the weight stays over your heels (duh), by:

- not sinking too low (try for parallel);
- keeping your knees tracking outside your big toe and bracing them hard (the "knees out" cue can help this, but I find "heels out" works better for me, personally);
- keeping your chest up as you squat: this actually means keep your back tight.

What you're actually looking for when you watch the videos back is for the bar to travel in (more or less) a straight line down and back up. You are drawing loops with yours.

So I'd practice squatting with 50-60% of your 1RM so that you are forced to practice your bracing in the correct way: doing it with the bar will lead to relaxation/carelessness because you know you aren't going to get crushed. ;)

Soldato
- not sinking too low (try for parallel);
- keeping your knees tracking outside your big toe and bracing them hard (the "knees out" cue can help this, but I find "heels out" works better for me, personally);
- keeping your chest up as you squat: this actually means keep your back tight.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Man of Honour
Yes, you should be aiming for parallel or below, but not if you are going to round your bum out or compromise the rest of your movement.

The way to progress is to pause where your form is perfect, and then slowly get used to the feel of your form at that point... Then slowly work lower over time. This will include mobility work, so make sure you visit the Mobility thread for hints and tips. :)

Man of Honour
Quick question.

Mostly focussing on building muscle mass at the moment (and doing pretty well), but I do enjoy the odd medium distance run! Fancying a 10 mile run today, but is that going to seriously counteract my gains?

Man of Honour
Quick question.

Mostly focussing on building muscle mass at the moment (and doing pretty well), but I do enjoy the odd medium distance run! Fancying a 10 mile run today, but is that going to seriously counteract my gains?

Depends on a lot of different factors, but - as a very general rule - a weekly run won't make a significantly noticeable difference.

Associate
Hi guys, need some feedback on my bench form, I don't seem to be making an awful lot of progress with it (in comparison to my other lifts). I've put a vid below of my most recent efforts, I've watched through the "so you think you can bench" vids and I've tried to emulate that form. Another thing to note is I have discomfort in my lower back after finishing the set, is that my body just not used to the strange position?

Caporegime
Its hurting your lower back because your lower back is bent to buggery. Try working on some thoracic mobilisation perhaps? I also personally don't like having my heels up, try them flat.

Remember, what works for a short stokcky diesel strength powerlifter doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

Associate
The weight you are pushing appears to be quite high relative to your 1RM as so it looks like you're struggling so not the best indicator of form.

As Delvis identified you appear to be arching your lower back way to much, and have not got a solid base with your feet to push from - can you lower the bench or put plates under your feet?

It doesn't look like your chest is set before you begin lifting - your abdomen looks higher than your chest. There's also a curve motion to the centre section of the bar - its not going perpendicular up and down?

Associate
Its hurting your lower back because your lower back is bent to buggery. Try working on some thoracic mobilisation perhaps? I also personally don't like having my heels up, try them flat.

Remember, what works for a short stokcky diesel strength powerlifter doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

The weight you are pushing appears to be quite high relative to your 1RM as so it looks like you're struggling so not the best indicator of form.

As Delvis identified you appear to be arching your lower back way to much, and have not got a solid base with your feet to push from - can you lower the bench or put plates under your feet?

It doesn't look like your chest is set before you begin lifting - your abdomen looks higher than your chest. There's also a curve motion to the centre section of the bar - its not going perpendicular up and down?

Thanks guys, that was pretty much my PB so I'll get a vid next time with a light weight.

The back arching and heels off the ground are things that I picked up from the benching vids (something that I didn't really used to do) when I've tried to address the lack of real progress in the past. Should I ditch these for now?

Soldato
Bit of a niggle in my hip flexor from squats as my weights have increased. I'm doing daily mobility work but from a form point of view, what are the cues I should be considering to take focus away from my hip flexor?

Back
Top Bottom