***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

You need to really drill your "hip hinge". The movement you're doing looks like a lazy leg press, then you stand up as an after thought.

What Som said is bang on. You need to keep your knees back. Not only will this stop you banging them, but it will mean that you are prioritising your spine neutrality and hamstring loading.

Watch Kelly Starrett's video on deadlift load ordering (I think it's in the OP).

Ofc if you're Icecold and warming up to 'turn to dust' some sl00tz pelvis then collars might be useful.
Collars on everything.

To slightly contradict the advice above (<3), he might not need any mobility work at all. While most people have all kinds of mobility issues, if they were to chase them all down at the beginning then they wouldn't be doing much lifting for a few months. We need to establish the minimum effective dose, which we will only know when Scott tries to correct his squat.

What I see in that squat is sloppy positions and poor motor control, but from those videos you can't tell if he's missing range in any of the important joints.

Step one would be to learn what the top and bottom of a squat should look like (there are MANY videos in this thread that show this, not least the ones recently posted), and then you need to learn how to correctly transition between the two with the correct sequence of muscle activation.

Core control is definitely a big missing piece, but again the priority should be learning what to do with your core during the movement. Most people sorely need more core work, but correct core activation is a skill that needs to be learned not only to perform the big lifts, but also to actually be able to do useful core exercises.

Some cues:

- Bar position. Doesn't look completely comfortable, but this might be caused by the general movement errors.

- More stiffness everywhere. Core and upper back need to be contracting hard.

- Spine neutrality. From head to tail bone you need your spine to be in a straight line. I know you'll see conflicting advice about head position, perhaps even from seemingly respectable sources, but anything but neutral is wrong.

- Knees out. With your current stance they need to be at least 6" wider.

- Engage your glutes. At the moment they are quite passive, but you need to fix the above before you can properly address this.

Also, high bar is awesome. Don't feel that you need to do low bar because most people do it. The reality is that most people's low bar is so bad that they will be getting minimal useful training effect from it anyway.

Or, learn how to do both.

I wasn't bricking it about my Squat session tomorrow I am now!

Firstly thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

One important point to make to put the questions below in context. At the moment I'm attempting to cut. I'm very much adhering to the minimalist approach and doing 2-3 sessions a week of compound movements. That's it, I'm only on a R/T 1800kcal/2800kcal cycle so overtraining is not going to be made an issue. I have omitted deadlifts for now as I want to focus on sorting out my squats first. My squats usually involve a few sets of low-rep warm ups on very low weight before the first working set.

Just a few initial questions and then I'm going to read it all through again:

1) Do I need to stop squatting completely and work on mobility/core or am I OK to lower the weight down to say 60kg or 140lbs and concentrate on form?

2) Should I scrap trying to get lean for now and go back to slow bulking. Surely it will be difficult to strengthen various muscles when my body is catabolic mode? Again this could just be a correction issue like Icecold said.

3) When you say do mobility work, is this supposed to be done as a warmup in terms of stretches or this something I need to dedicate a session to on a different day to when I squat? As for strengthening my core, I've always been told things like crunches are a complete waste of time (or is this only in the context of 18 year olds thinking it will lead to rock hard abs) and squatting is more than enough for doing the job. What exactly should I be doing to strengthen my core?

4) I'm just confused about what my priorities should be in the gym right now and need someone to punch me in the face and tell me what to do!

Main notes for tomorrow from what you've all written:

- Warm up prior with stretches (will look at Icecold's 'better squatting' post for this)
- Knees out!
- Engage core.
- More stiffness all round.
- I'm going to read tonight up on the mechanics of squats and see if I can gain a greater understanding of things like spine neutrality as currently I don't feel I know what I'm really doing.

Many thanks again.
I'm not sure that you read my post thoroughly :p

Test to see if you can squat correctly, noting any restrictions you experience. Then look into mobility.

It's possible to increase strength without increasing muscle cross section, which is what becomes difficult in a caloric deficit.

Core training is covered in the OP, but to be fair I need to expand it.

Also, you should be deadlifting too.

I always thought leg press was a waste of time but I'm reading Beyond Brawn and the guy is a huge fan of it for people who can't naturally squat well due to poor mechanics for it.

Do you think 50-60kg is a good starting point for me then? Or even lower?
There is nothing wrong with the leg press, but the benefits of being able to squat properly are huge and extend to life outside of the gym and aesthetics.

Bar lower, more knees out, slightly more sit back (slightly less forward knee movement) and you've cracked it.

Don't be so harsh on yourself. This is the first session you've had trying to correct some of these finer points. Even when I'm coaching people in person it is relatively rare to see a "good enough" squat after one session.

Need some advice on lower groin training, coming back after a 2 year break from a broken back and a hernia. The hernia is what concerns me most and its low in my groin and feels quite hard to target for exercise yet very easy to undo the repair. im being awful cautious at the moment but obviously i need this to progress along with the rest of my training to support my core etc, any advice on exercises to target this?
Your best bet is going to be mastering the basics of movement from the hip. This is going to be primarily anything that uses a hip hinge, and will rely heavily on you bracing using the entirety of your core from pelvis floor to diaphragm.

Mirin ankle flexibility on the squat.

Deads will be fine when you sort out your positions. Your hips are too high and shoulders too far forward of the bar. This gets worse when your hips rise faster than your shoulders when you pull. Good general activation though.

Pay attention to the path your bar and hips take. If you're going to sit back then stay back and keep your shins more vertical, if you want to sit more between your ankles then go straight there rather than sitting back on the way.

Knees out more on the fronties. I bet you can get pretty much bolt upright.

Your hips come up far too quickly on your deadlifts. Your hips come up 6" without the bar moving at all, which is a waste of hip power. Another way of looking at it is that you only want your back to move towards being vertical. Keep your chest up!

You have a lovely hip hinge though, so I'm confident that when these minor issues are delt with you'll be moving very nicely and shifting big weights.

It's largely just "doing it wrong". It's not really a weakness anywhere, the weight is too light for this to be the case. You need to engage your legs more and push with them.

I didn't realise how awful my foot positioning was in that until you mentioned!

Benny, I think the hyper-extension is probably a result of me consciously trying too hard to prevent my lower back from rounding. From what you can see have I got the rounding cracked?
Over extension --> neutral is basically as bad as neutral --> flexion

You're still getting horrible forces on your discs, and you have the added problem that you're resting on end range extension and creating stability with lovely vertebral bone on bone contact, which also turns off your core.

Positional problems aside (your most recent video is much better in this regard), you need to learn how to brace your core with a neutral spine. Have a skim of the core training material in the OP.

Also, whether you break at the knee or hip should not dictate what happens to your spine.

As Delvis suggested, take a vid of a body-weight squat with your arms out in front. Then do the same with a 10kg plate held out in front. Then another of Tony Gentilcore's kneeling reverse thrust thing (whatever)...
Guys, can we please stop referencing that TG article. Cressey is a genious, but Tony will always be the sidekick and thus is stuff is only sometimes good.

That particular squat test is an example of the not-so-good.

Are there no anterior compressive forces with a barbell on your back?

The principal way that the test falls down is that it shifts your centre of mass forwards, which changes far too much about the mechanics of the lift to learn anything useful.

C'mon bru ;) Think about what I said.

Yes, if you compare a bw squat to one with a plate held out in front of you it's likely you'll see less tuck with the latter. To draw the conclusion that the important lesson here is only core bracing is completely false.

If I'm feeling particularly tight in my hips or ankles, I can perform a bw squat with maximal core that still isn't pretty. Does this mean that I'm not using my core properly? Absolutely not, it means that I'm tight in my hips or ankles.

It's a bad test.

It isn't a great test, no, but it highlights a specific problem in isolation. Considering it is somewhat irrelevant given Barks' problems is moot because his core isn't stable full stop.

However, it DOES (imho) show the person squatting one small but important facet of core bracing, particularly given no one of you is there to poke him where required. ;)
I just think there are far better tests.

The vast majority of people are going to be limited by some tightness somewhere, which is exactly what this test masks.

I'd say it's safe to say that most beginners need to learn how to use their core, so it ends up being quite redundant. Yes, I suppose you could use it as a proprioceptive teaching tool, but then you could also just practice bracing while hip hinging.
And no, I can't think about what you said because that first line was like WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH over my head :p
:D

I'm basically saying that you can practice the same movements with a bar on your back.

Some more deadlift practice for comment. I've put 4 sets up and I don't think my technique is constant from 1 set to the next! I'm aware my head isn't neutral on one of the sets.

I'm wearing even less clothes this week... next week will be speedos only. :D

Please tell me at least one decent rep somewhere in there! Should I be doing these technique sessions more frequently than once per week?

Deadlift set 1

Deadlift set 2

Deadlift set 3

Deadlift set 4
Again, these really aren't bad.

Try to look at your bar path on some of the videos. Where it isn't completely vertical, the rep is worse.

You need to lose your tendency having your hips rise faster than your shoulders.

Apart from that, you're basically good, although you could probably move those weights a lot faster.

Here's my horrible DL vid - 5 x 125kg
I think my back is too horizontal as I lift. Googling around this suggests I am tight in my hips, glutes or most likely in my case, my Achilles. I have had operations on my achilles and they are definitely not as flexible as they should be (which causes me issues with my squats) but it seems to be affecting my DL as well. It makes it more of a back heavy lift? I also don't really lock out very upright, although it feels upright when I do it!

Bro

I don't like slamming people because it takes balls to post up a video, but those weren't even deadlifts. Everything was wrong, and you're wearing gloves.

It has nothing to do with tightness in your glutes or achilles, it's just poor technical knowledge and execution. Which is fine, because that's what this thread is for.

Go and watch the video in the OP, and perhaps watch some good videos from members on here.

From the start start:
Wearing gloves
Back not straight
Arms not straight
Reps not locked out at the top
Minimal glute activation
Bar is not at rest on the ground in between reps

I'd encourage progression, but would stop you in a month or so if you hadn't lost your bad habits.

+5kg a session will serve you nicely, sticking with 5 reps.

Back
Top Bottom