***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
OP
After a slack few months I've got my mojo back and started training properly again.

Been working back up in weight using a Starting Strength like template for the last month and squats are just starting to feel heavy.

This is what they looked like today.

Think I need to work on hamstring flexibility to stop my back rounding at the bottom but my main concern is that I'm starting to find it harder to drive through my heels as the weight increases. Thoughts?
Your bigger problem is total spine stability. You're also attempting to do a high bar squat with a large amount of forward lean.

Man of Honour
OP
Ice - you mention total spine stability, in what way and how could you see that he was unstable? (watching on phone so might be missing something!)
For starters, there isn't really a point at which his spine is neutral.

Having to crank your neck back like that is a problem, too.
I just downloaded supple leopard. It's an interesting read when it comes to squatting. It's gonna help me loads I think.

I've tried squatting high bar, low bar and rippetoe style but have never felt comfortable. Lately I've just been doing what feels most natural. Really want to nail my squat form cause my squats are lagging behind my deads by quite a lot.
Can we get a video from the back?

A couple of points in no particular order:

- Don't initiate your hip break by throwing your lumbar into extension.

- If you want to do high bar (which you are doing), then you can't end up with your hips so far behind your ankles. Create more space by getting knees out and forwards, and stay much more vertical in your torso.

- Aim for neutral spine. This includes your neck.

- You need to be generating torque from your hips, rather than bouncing on end range with a bent back and doing a spine curl to get the weight up. Knees out and spread the floor with your feet.

Man of Honour
OP
Overall: Not terrible. You major faults are spine rigidity and neutrality (includes your head), and a general lack of torque and tension. Your intensity looks more suited to a casual stroll to the shops. Every rep should be performed deliberately, from warm up to cool down.

Deadlift: Generate tension before you lift the weight and lock out hard. The reason you find it easier to lift as you are is that it loads your back a lot more, which currently makes it easier for you to express force. Learn to drive with your legs too.

Squat: KNEES OUT. That is the only bad thing about the videos, but it is very bad. You've also gotten stuck into a semi high bar technique. The bar is high, but the way you move is more like a low bar squat. For high bar your torso needs to be more vertical and your knees more out and forwards. Alternatively, sort out your bar position and knee position and do low bar. I predict that you are going to need to work on your ankles.

Man of Honour
OP
Another attempt at a squat form video...

Still working on my depth which I think has got much better but obviously there's still room for improvement.

Depth aside how's it all looking?

I have a really wide stance and my feet are apart a bit, any closer and I get zero depth.

Should I change my stance to closer and do some mobility work or keep the current stance?

Edit : This was my 7th set so I was a bit tired :p

Move the bar slightly lower.

More knees out.

Man of Honour
OP
Unfortunately not good mate.

Probably already been covered by now, but:

- cranking your spine into extension and having it flex at depth is very bad. This is the opposite of generating stiffness in your core.

- compromised head position to compensate for high bar position + massive forward lean (not a traditional combo!). For high bar your knees should be a LOT more forwards and out at the bottom position, and your torso should a lot more vertical.

- stance too narrow to get into positions with your current flexibility, although I'd be concerned that you'd lose hip torque as you go wider. Keep an eye on this.

Man of Honour
OP
Hi all, couple of vids for a form check. Sorry about the angles, it's hard to find somewhere to rest the phone.

Squats

Side View

I think I need to sit back more into the squats.

Back View

I might try a slightly wider stance aswell for the squats.

Deadlifts

Deadlift

Any comments/improvements please, training log can be found here
Squats:

Your positions are actually pretty good, although you need to get your knees out a bit more.

You biggest problem is coordination and activation. Drive through your heels, lock out explosively with your quads and glutes and learn to translate this from the bottom position, and get aggressive.

Most of these things will get better with more squatting.

Deads:

Holy small plates!

Same issues as your squat. Do lots of posterior chain work.

Man of Honour
OP
Honestly, I wouldn't put any restriction on how far forward your knees can go. Provided they aren't collapsing and going valgus, there really isn't much risk. Any restriction is likely to mess up the squat pattern.

Man of Honour
OP
No matter how much I am stretching my knees always seem to collapse in, I have got shoes which fix my instep but it still happens on Squats, even if I keep trying to "show my crotch" and push out lol just feels very unnatural.
Are you saying you have flat feet?

Step 1: Fix this, without phaggy orthotics.

Step 2: Just keep your knees out.

If it isn't as simple as that, there is something else going wrong.

TC, I'm not totally convinced you have proper APT and lordosis. Considering the rest of your movement, I'm going to guess that it's a control issue. More plank, more side plank, more think about it all the time.

On your deads you actually seem to have some lumbar flexion. Stick your arse out more and have your hips slightly higher.

Man of Honour
OP
Oh, forgot to mention for OHP: Stack your joints. Keep your elbows under the bar, keep your wrist over your elbow, and keep the bar over your wrist.

Man of Honour
OP
On the BORs you are actually looking down a bit too much and have a slightly flexed upper back. Your shoulders are also protracted (extended forwards).

This is probably why you're feeling the load in weird places.

Neutral spine, stick your boobies out slightly, check head position, pin shoulders back to neutral, externally rotate humerus, engage lats, fap.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah, have your hands slightly wider on the bar which will be facilitated by having access to more external rotation.

Actually gripping the bar in your hands will exacerbate your issue. Use your fingers to push the bar onto your delts.

Man of Honour
OP

First time trying Deadlifting. Really need your help on this. Doesn't feel right at all. I feel like im too tall and im arching my back at the end to lay the weights down. I know its only 10kg weights so it will be lower to the floor, but still.

Im ashamed of my form. Help :p
Post up a video with full sized plates ;) It's kind of hard to give feedback on what is effectively you squatting down too far and standing up with next to no resistance.

Have you watched the videos in the OP?

Man of Honour
OP
It would be incredibly rare for me to start someone on less than 60kg for deads. If you want to stick to the progression, put something under the plates to bring them up to the right height.

Back
Top Bottom