***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Hi all

Took your advice regarding dead lifts and I've got the bar resting on some 5kg plates (not ideal, I'll get some wood to make 2inch platforms).

How does the form look now?

Dead lift

Training log here - Log

I think my form actually got better as I increased the weight but I didn't record those, the video above is from the 60kg lift.
These look good now.

You need a bit more tightness and your coordination is a bit lacking, but those will come with time. However, you do need to keep your head neutral.
6ft6 mate. Should I change to 1 under, 1 over?

Definitely sucks being tall, anything who says different is deluded lol.

Still going light but proper sized plates. I don't mind bending but I don't want my back to be arching. I feel too long doing these and Military presses.

Although Squats is abit of a journey getting down but I don't seem to have much problem with that.

Head neutral!

Spend some time before your reps getting your back straight, setting your core tight and getting tension on the bar. It should not look like you are yanking at it.

From what I remember, that's a massive improvement.

Your glutes look a little weak, so it's not surprising that you're feeling it there.

If you can learn to generate more stiffness and stability they will continue to look good as you ramp up the weights.

Did some more videos.

I went yesterday, when I got there dead...Decided to do a form vid everyone turned up! :D.

Squats

1st set

5th set

Barbell row:
Usually I struggle getting down being so lanky. But I took your advice and rested the barbell on weights and took the shoes off. Think iv got the form better than when I first started out.
Everything looks ok, although I'd need to see the squats from the back to make final judgement.

Make sure you keep your chest "up" on the BORs, you need a bit more thoracic extension. Keep your head in line with your spine too.

deadlift width squat stance. good / bad?
seeing a few people with meaty deads and squats doing these (specifically mentioning that feet width is same) and getting benefits.
Normally my feet are outside shoulder width for squats and about shoulder width for deads.
I think I know who you're referring to, and I don't think they got their big squatting and deadlift numbers with deadlift stance squats (even if they think they helped).

I'm not going to rule them out without trialling them on myself or other people, but I doubt they offer much useful training effect.

I'm going to go out on a non-regular limb and suggest that toes out a tiny bit more than "five to one o'clock" is not going to kill you or your knees, provided you can keep them in the correct alignment (knees outside your big toe).

Most people can't do this easily (or properly), which is one of the reasons it's not advised.

A lot of Olympic lifters, for instance, will squat with quite a narrow stance with toes relatively far out (and knees, too) compared to powerlifters, etc.

Why? No idea. Practically, as somebody who pretends to snatch and clean, it allows the lifter to get a lot deeper into the squat and keep a good core alignment (and upright-ness) than otherwise. Doing this with a wide, parallel stance is perfectly possible, but none of the top Olympic lifters do it (tell a lie - there are a couple of Chinese dudes who go ultra wide and almost parallel in the catch, but pffft.). :)

However, you also have to bear in mind that these lifters know what they're doing... ;) :D
Really, it's kind of because they have the benefit of good coaching. As a cookie cutter rule, feet as parallel as possible is much (MUCH) better than specifying more turn out.

Ultimately, it should be possible to hit the positions with parallel feet, but achieving the mobility required might be impractical for some.

More knees out, more ankle flexibility.

A slight wobble in your ankle is very far down your list of things to worry about (the same would apply to most people), just spread the floor more.

Squat question:

I take a stance about shoulder width with my toes turned out about 5 degrees. I'm working to try to create torque against the floor and shove my knees out (as recommended by mobilityWod and other sources).

In general I'm quite happy with this technique but I find that in generating toque against the floor my feet slip (twist) outwards and by the end of a rep they're pointing out by maybe 30 degrees. As long as my knees remain shoved out is this a problem? Should my feet be slipping? I squat barefoot.

Thanks.
This kind of implies poor foot/ground contact. You're probably twisting due to mobility issues, so those could be worked on too.

Aim to keep your foot active, and reset your feet between reps if necessary.
I'm thinking about ditching my PC chair and getting a block of wood and squatting at the computer as I heard you can deep squat for hours. This would fix all my back pain and dysfunction from a chair. Anyone do this?

Is it bad to squat for a long time?
:confused:

So you read that this will definitely fix your back issues and dysfunction, which you seem fairly happy to believe, and then you read that it might also be bad...???

Where does the wood come into it?

What is going on?

To cut a long post short, no, this is a terrible idea.

Nate, for the love of god, please realise that there is a reason that people do things the way that they do.

There is a common solution for mobility issues and dysfunction, and it has nothing to do with squatting down with some wood in a broken position for hours.

Do your mobility exercises, perform functional movements and pay attention to your posture.

You are very strange...

It's not even fixing anything at all "the old fashioned way", which under other circumstances might have a lot of merit. It's arbitrarily deciding that something is a good idea without being aware of all of the factors that influence it's success, or indeed it's total failure.

Having seen Nate move, he will not be able to extract any benefit from this.

I doubt he will listen though.

Nothing, apart from kinesiology and the mechanics of the position and how they interact with your various dysfunctions. You, like most people living modern lifestyles, are not a blank slate and you do not function as nature intended.

Please engage your brain before you self diagnose and prescribe random treatments.

You said it would fix your dysfunction...

Seriously, this is pointless.

Yes, being able to sit in a full squat is awesome and everyone should be able to do it. Should you aim to do it all day at work? No.

You're talking to me like full squatting is new information to me... It isn't.

You appear to be utterly convinced that you are right, so go for it.

We wouldn't want crazy things like listening and smart choices to get in the way of unfounded arrogance now would we?

Okay fine I won't try it then, I don't mean to be arrogant I just wish I could squat inside the gym and outside. :(
You're still missing the point.

Aiming to be able to full squat comfortably with good positioning is a great idea. Your ankles will be your biggest problem.

Using this position, when you've developed it, when casually bending down/resting/whatever is also a great idea.

The other stuff you tacked onto these basic principals was where things stopped making sense.

The guys in the pictures don't have to have neutral spines, they aren't lifting weight, they are in a relaxed position not a bracing position.

No I want to help eliminate dysfunctions not fix them by squatting. Let's say I can squat and my mobility is good, what's wrong with squatting instead of sitting? Then when it comes to a loaded barbell squat I'll perform them with my chest up and tighten my body as required.

Are you saying if I were to squat in a relaxed state as a way of sitting it would effect my loaded squats?

Fair enough I thought that might be the case. I'm finding it a bit demotivating squatting at the gym with a loaded barbell when I can't even squat very well without weight on my back. It's easier doing loaded squats and I think that's messing up my dysfunction even further because I should essentially just be doing the same squat but with weight right? But I can't even do a squat properly.

Not got any new videos yet as I'm not actually able to be lifting right now, I'm living rough but might be back at gym within two weeks.
Why are you continuing to second guess what you've been told? You need to look no further than fixing your loaded squat and deadlift (including the associated mobility) and pay attention to your posture 24/7.

Why are you imagining for even a second that you might know better than people on here, or in fact know anything at all about exercise/form/kinesiology?

Back
Top Bottom