***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Soldato
While I still remember, here is a quick vid of my Overhead Press.

I was just basically wondering, am I missing anything in terms of mobility or form. Might stop me from stalling at a certain point(67.5).. Oh yea, its only 50kg, so be brutal :D

One bit I just noticed while watching it back, I seem to have a bit of a shake on with my lower part.

Associate
Too much arch and ROM is half of what it should be. Bar should start and end at shoulder height in the "front rack" position, core also needs to be held tight with glutes engaged to make sure the is no over all backwards lean and no lumbar extension.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It's not dom's way of doing it, that's just how an overhead press is done :) The shoulder isn't extended, it's actually a natural ROM with the shoulder remaining in a strong position.
Check the opening post for material on how to perform the lift correctly.

Associate
I was told to only go that low as to drop lower would over extend the shoulder and possibly cause an injury.
Obviously your post contradicts that.
Any reference material that would support your way of doing it ?

Who told you that?

Don't listen to them in the future :).

I kid, but what they said is tosh.

Also why do you start the lift at the top?

Permabanned
Who told you that?

Don't listen to them in the future :).

I kid, but what they said is tosh.

Also why do you start the lift at the top?

Was an ex bodybuilder that used to run the gym I went to.
I am starting to realise more and more that quite a bit of what he told me was tosh.
I start the lift from the top due to being told not to over extend on the negative, so not wanting to strain to get that weight up from the bottom of the stroke.

No way am I going to be able to lift that weight with a full ROM for that many REPs so will try dropping to 10 a side when I go back to the gym in a week and see how my form is.
Will post up here once I have video'd it.

Man of Honour
OP
I have just uploaded 2 vids of my military press

shot from different angles to try and give an idea of how much I am arching my back (not sure if I am going to far here) and also to show how far I am bringing the bar down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2qe1LLMkwY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weGzSb0FdVg

I was told to only go that low as to drop lower would over extend the shoulder and possibly cause an injury.
Obviously your post contradicts that.
Any reference material that would support your way of doing it ?
:confused: Any reference material to support your way of doing it?

If your shoulder can't move through the proper range then you have a flexibility problem that need to be addressed.

You also shouldn't be bending your back as much as that, and you shouldn't need a belt.

Caporegime
Hi all

After some critique on the Goblet squat, rear and side view:

EDIT: Mainly want people to look at my right ankle, its mega tight

I also couldn't help doing deadlifts today...First time since my dodgey back, just did 3 40kg triples, kept it light...Can you check these also:

Last edited:
Associate
Looking really nice there Delvis.

I think you are right about your ankle, it does appear to be a little tight. Have a look over the various mobilisations that have been posted around here or on MWod. I think it would be worth you doing some of the hip external rotation mobs as well, just because there is no harm in doing them and they will help everything come together.

Those deadlifts look solid. Nice speed, even though it's only 40kg, it's nice and snappy with good glute drive. Just don't spend so much time in between reps, if you are adjusting your hands, fine but just do it faster. It's just unnecessary to be down there for that long.

What core work do you do at the moment?

Caporegime
Looking really nice there Delvis.

I think you are right about your ankle, it does appear to be a little tight. Have a look over the various mobilisations that have been posted around here or on MWod. I think it would be worth you doing some of the hip external rotation mobs as well, just because there is no harm in doing them and they will help everything come together.

Those deadlifts look solid. Nice speed, even though it's only 40kg, it's nice and snappy with good glute drive. Just don't spend so much time in between reps, if you are adjusting your hands, fine but just do it faster. It's just unnecessary to be down there for that long.

What core work do you do at the moment?

Thanks man, means a lot. So in general the goblets look okay?

Aye im going to hit the ankle mob stuff soon, and do more hip stuff :) but yeah, dont normally spend that long down there in deads! Its the first time since like late february ive dobe any deads, so didnt want to screw myself over. They where at the end of the back workout as well actually :p ill take it easy on them for the next month though, dont want to put myself out again.

Core wise: planks, reverse crunches with 5kg ball, laying leg raises and land mines. Cant do ab roll outs currently, too much pressure on my back.

Thanks again chap.

Haha! Cheers deception, i REALLY miss them :p

Associate
Yeah the goblets were spot on.

That core work sounds good to me so I don't see why, if you are doing those correctly, you can't incorporate deads into a routine again.

Start them light again and build them back up, something like 40kg, 50kg, 60kg . . . Two weeks on each. Max of 5 reps and between 3-5 sets.

Just make sure you are moving the weight as fast as possible at all times. If the reps start to slow at any point, back off the weight and start another little progression.

You might want to video all of your sets so you can see if there is any difference at all between weeks.

Caporegime
Yeah the goblets were spot on.

That core work sounds good to me so I don't see why, if you are doing those correctly, you can't incorporate deads into a routine again.

Start them light again and build them back up, something like 40kg, 50kg, 60kg . . . Two weeks on each. Max of 5 reps and between 3-5 sets.

Just make sure you are moving the weight as fast as possible at all times. If the reps start to slow at any point, back off the weight and start another little progression.

You might want to video all of your sets so you can see if there is any difference at all between weeks.

Aye will do :) Good to know the goblets are good! Only been doing them for a few weeks, so that's eased my mind.

AS you say, think i'll stick to 40Kg again and see how the back feels. It comes and goes the pain, like today theres some niggling but it's just due to tightness I think...A few mins on the sprite bottle (A poor mans foam roller :p) and it seems to have helped, along with a few stretches I do normally.

But yeah, will video them, and make sure I'm not slacking anywhere.

Thanks again man, would be nice to beat my 110KG pb on Deads! That was last year I got that

Back
Top Bottom