***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Associate
Alright guys, could I get some feed back on my dead form please?

Things I've noticed straight away are my lower back is slightly rounded. i don't really 'lock out' as well as I would have liked and the negative seems slow. I was planning on doing more than 1 rep but I was losing my grip on the way down :(

Not sure why the preview is the wrong way up, but plays back the correct way on YouTube.

Associate
Aye will do :) Good to know the goblets are good! Only been doing them for a few weeks, so that's eased my mind.

AS you say, think i'll stick to 40Kg again and see how the back feels. It comes and goes the pain, like today theres some niggling but it's just due to tightness I think...A few mins on the sprite bottle (A poor mans foam roller :p) and it seems to have helped, along with a few stretches I do normally.

But yeah, will video them, and make sure I'm not slacking anywhere.

Thanks again man, would be nice to beat my 110KG pb on Deads! That was last year I got that

Lots of foam rolling and lots of hip stretching, anterior, external all of it. That should help your back be in a nice condition for recovery and strengthening. ;)

DA: Your posterior chain is a little tight so that is making it hard for you to reach the bar, so lots of glute and hamstring stretches every day. You also need to focus on recruiting the glutes a lot more in the movement, watch Delvis' videos and see how he "humps" the bar. That is near perfect, so aim for that or better. You may also want to think about including some glute activation exercises in your warm up. Make sure you don't start the negative until you have locked out the rep otherwise some crazy **** will happen and you spine will exit your body via the throat :). For the negative just keep your back straight and release tension so you are slowing the weight down on it's return to the earth. You can worry about whether what is the best way to build muscle when your are performing these movements with as little risk of injury as possible.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
You just need to work on setting up better. You setup with a bad back position, which stays with you in the lift.

Have a read of the links in the OP.

Associate
You just need to work on setting up better. You setup with a bad back position, which stays with you in the lift.

Have a read of the links in the OP.

Yeah I know. I don't normally go into the lift that quickly, but it was my first time trying that weight and I've got a nasty habit of taking a long time with setup and psyching myself OUT of being able to lift the weight!

Caporegime
Yeah I know. I don't normally go into the lift that quickly, but it was my first time trying that weight and I've got a nasty habit of taking a long time with setup and psyching myself OUT of being able to lift the weight!

Look at some of LiE's lifts (if he doesn't mind me mentioning :p) He takes a fair whack of time before the lift doing some weird arse bum drop thing (;))

It's personal preference at the end of the day. He takes his time making sure, I tend to be reasonably quick

Associate
DA: Your posterior chain is a little tight so that is making it hard for you to reach the bar, so lots of glute and hamstring stretches every day. You also need to focus on recruiting the glutes a lot more in the movement, watch Delvis' videos and see how he "humps" the bar. That is near perfect, so aim for that or better. You may also want to think about including some glute activation exercises in your warm up. Make sure you don't start the negative until you have locked out the rep otherwise some crazy **** will happen and you spine will exit your body via the throat :). For the negative just keep your back straight and release tension so you are slowing the weight down on it's return to the earth. You can worry about whether what is the best way to build muscle when your are performing these movements with as little risk of injury as possible.

Thanks Dom, appreciate the time taken to reply :) Will work on the above. I do have some green MP bands that I've not even taken out the packaging yet, i should probably put them to use I guess.

Look at some of LiE's lifts (if he doesn't mind me mentioning :p) He takes a fair whack of time before the lift doing some weird arse bum drop thing (;))

It's personal preference at the end of the day. He takes his time making sure, I tend to be reasonably quick

Yeah I've seen LiE's lifts, i just get it in my head the longer I take setting up the less likely I am to lift that damn thing. Nevermind, that's why i'm posting in here I guess, for help!

Thanks for the responses all :)

Associate
No offence to LiE because his style works for him but I just wouldn't recommend spending lots of time working things out. It is the kind of thing you want to practice with out any real weight. In general the longer you spend at the bottom the worse things get but LiE and Delvis are both right that you need to think about it more. Get a check-list in your head that you can run through in a heartbeat. Then use the time at the bottom to get tight on the bar rather than getting into a good position, that should happen before you touch the bar.

Ignore the rest but start watching at 2:40. Watch how little time I spend down at the bar, just enough to get a good breath and take the tension off the bar.

Woo! 1000 posts :p.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I still do it on the higher weights but I'm trying to lift more like dom says above.
Just thought I'd chime in and say I'm working on it ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I still do it on the higher weights but I'm trying to lift more like dom says above.
Just thought I'd chime in and say I'm working on it ;)

Haha :) Was only joking anyway, good to see your still trying to improve things though, even though you're doing brilliantly anyway!

Keep at it mate

Associate
No offence to LiE because his style works for him but I just wouldn't recommend spending lots of time working things out. It is the kind of thing you want to practice with out any real weight. In general the longer you spend at the bottom the worse things get but LiE and Delvis are both right that you need to think about it more. Get a check-list in your head that you can run through in a heartbeat. Then use the time at the bottom to get tight on the bar rather than getting into a good position, that should happen before you touch the bar.

Ignore the rest but start watching at 2:40. Watch how little time I spend down at the bar, just enough to get a good breath and take the tension off the bar.

Woo! 1000 posts :p.

Thanks Dom, impressive lifts! I've got plenty to work on it seems. What belt is that you're using by the way? I'm not fond of using one, but when I do have to get mine out it's not the nicest.

Also, I hate to have to ask, but i'm at work and struggling to concentrate on anything, what stretches do you recommend for sorting out my problems?!

Associate
Thanks Dom, impressive lifts! I've got plenty to work on it seems. What belt is that you're using by the way? I'm not fond of using one, but when I do have to get mine out it's not the nicest.

Also, I hate to have to ask, but i'm at work and struggling to concentrate on anything, what stretches do you recommend for sorting out my problems?!

Have a look in the mobility thread, there are some good ones in there.

Also there is a squat guide that has some relevant info but I can't find it, would someone be able to help me out there?

Back
Top Bottom