***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

uv

uv

Soldato
Hi guys

I need to get a video of my squat, but in the meantime;

Every now and then when squatting heavy, I get pain in just one knee, where the VMO meets the patella:

1y1dfb.jpg

I've worked on using a more narrow stance, which seems to reduce the issue considerably, and also using a more-parallel angle for my feet (I'd say 10 degrees).

Can't figure out why it's happening to one knee only when my form (I believe) is symmetrical. When it does happen, I have to bail on the rest of the squat sets as the pain is quite considerable, but it subsides over the next hour.

Any quick pointers on what may be wrong with my form, if it's possible without seeing a video?

Caporegime
Knee collapsing?

Ideally mate, record your self from behind (ooh er) as that will show you instantly if it's that, otherwise a side angle as well.

I'm sure one of the resident Wizards can help though

EDIT: Beaten like a Ginger stepchild with a Badger for a mother.

uv

uv

Soldato
Vide from behind and side.

Could be an issue with your knee tracking poorly, do you push it out enough?

Almost certainly, I've been working on squat-to-stand stretches, push my knees out at the bottom, and making sure my knees track wider than my feet angle whilst squatting. Also spent a long time working on making sure my knees don't push forward, using a block of wood to ensure my knees don't travel in front of my toes.

I'll have to get some videos next time I've healed enough to squat pain free, and point out where it hurts. Annoyingly my squats have stalled at 70kg for two months now (only started SL5x5 in Feb), and I could be doing massively more by now if I didn't keep having to bail on sets!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Knees in front of the toes isn't an issue afaik if they are pushed out. You want to push the knees out as you go down rather than forcing them out when you get to the bottom.

uv

uv

Soldato
Knees in front of the toes isn't an issue afaik if they are pushed out. You want to push the knees out as you go down rather than forcing them out when you get to the bottom.

Of course :) My post was slightly vague, the "knees out at the bottom" was in reference to the mobility work in the video below, rather than during my squats! Squats are done knees-out all the way :)

Anywho, I guess it's impossible to say without videos - I'll have to man up and get it sorted :)

Soldato
Chaps, what do you think about Rippetoe's version of the OHP, that involves hip rebound rather than a totally strict press in order to involve more of the body and lift moar?

He seems to be the only person I've seen teaching the lift to be done this way (which makes it more technical for starters) and it makes me wonder if he's drinking the kool-aid... or if he's onto something.

Associate
Saw what he did at 5:20 ish about hips forward and instant nope.

Push press is fine if you want to do it. LiE's method is the one that I follow, using push press to add volume to strict OHP work.

Soldato
Yeah go to about 15:30 to see Rip doing it (as it's a single motion rather than breaking the movement down which he's showing at the start).

I just think tickets to snap city with it, as unless you get the movement down perfectly it's bendy lumbar time...

Associate
I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be sore, but you definitely should be using them.

Have you read the OP?

Post a video.

Just finished reading OP, I based my squat on what I read on stronglifts/starting strength.

I will post a video soon. Bit embarrassing as I to tend curse a lot when squatting/deadlifting

Back
Top Bottom