***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Soldato
Just finished reading OP, I based my squat on what I read on stronglifts/starting strength.

I will post a video soon. Bit embarrassing as I to tend curse a lot when squatting/deadlifting

If you're able to speak during your squat, you're not doing it correctly. Big breath in before you start and need to hold your breath until near the end of your rep.

Man of Honour
If you're able to speak during your squat, you're not doing it correctly. Big breath in before you start and need to hold your breath until near the end of your rep.

There will be grunts. :D

Most of my big (for me) lifts coincide with a huge amount of primal noise coming from somewhere in the gym.

Depending on how much of a tin-hatter you are, there is a bit of research on blood pressure during deadlift/squatting which suggests even a slight exhale during the most compressive points of those lifts can reduce peak pressure by 25-30% depending, enough to reduce a quasi-potential risk of a haemorrhage of some description.

I just like throwing out the douche horn. :D

Associate

What I've been doing is inhaling before I go down in the squat and exhaling on the way up. Something I read about always exhaling on effort which is how I remember it.
On the deadlift I exhale on the pull and inhale when I lower the weight.

uv

uv

Soldato
Knees in front of the toes isn't an issue afaik if they are pushed out. You want to push the knees out as you go down rather than forcing them out when you get to the bottom.

Just to say thanks for this - the past two squat sessions, I've concentrated on getting my knees out - and keeping them out on the way back up, and less on keeping knees behind my toes (tbh I think I was over-exaggerating it before), and I've had two pain-free sessions so far with an increase in weight, finally :)

uv, are your feet collapsing? Is the pain more on the top or the side?
It was in the middle - like 45 degrees between the top and inside (maybe closer to the side). Also, whilst I concentrate on putting the weight on my heel and the outside of my feet, I had flat feet as a child and had to have risers in my shoes! Fingers crossed I've got it sorted now!

Last edited:
Associate
What I've been doing is inhaling before I go down in the squat and exhaling on the way up. Something I read about always exhaling on effort which is how I remember it.

Yes this is the recommended way.

Holding your breath throughout would cause blood pressure to rise even higher than it already does and would likely result in a blood vessel popping or fainting.

Man of Honour
Yes this is the recommended way.

Holding your breath throughout would cause blood pressure to rise even higher than it already does and would likely result in a blood vessel popping or fainting.

No, it doesn't. :)

It increases the likelihood during the most compressive part of the movement where peak blood pressure occurs, which is why a slight exhale is sometimes advised.

Soldato
What do you think about bringing in lighter sumo's while still keeping conventional as my main heavy work may help bring up some weak areas?

Associate
There will be grunts. :D

Most of my big (for me) lifts coincide with a huge amount of primal noise coming from somewhere in the gym.

Depending on how much of a tin-hatter you are, there is a bit of research on blood pressure during deadlift/squatting which suggests even a slight exhale during the most compressive points of those lifts can reduce peak pressure by 25-30% depending, enough to reduce a quasi-potential risk of a haemorrhage of some description.

I just like throwing out the douche horn. :D

Bro-question alert:

Is the pressure release from after doing heavy deads/squats what makes me feel light headed/spinny after a heavy set?

Man of Honour
Bro-question alert:

Is the pressure release from after doing heavy deads/squats what makes me feel light headed/spinny after a heavy set?

All that blood rushing to the working muscles and the only thing fuelling the brain the ramped up blood pressure mid lift?

who could honestly say? :)

Massive blood pressure drop will be a factor in this which is why there are amusing YouTube videos of people blacking out after deadlifting, for instance.

Associate
All that blood rushing to the working muscles and the only thing fuelling the brain the ramped up blood pressure mid lift?

who could honestly say? :)

Massive blood pressure drop will be a factor in this which is why there are amusing YouTube videos of people blacking out after deadlifting, for instance.

I had never really thought about it, but it clearly makes sense. The impact of it certainly increases with the weight being lifted, either that or I am manning up and putting more effort it ;)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
That holds true for "when exercising", when blood is diverted from certain organs. The conditions are different in the middle of a very heavy rep

Back
Top Bottom