***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
OP
Are there no anterior compressive forces with a barbell on your back?

The principal way that the test falls down is that it shifts your centre of mass forwards, which changes far too much about the mechanics of the lift to learn anything useful.

Man of Honour
OP
C'mon bru ;) Think about what I said.

Yes, if you compare a bw squat to one with a plate held out in front of you it's likely you'll see less tuck with the latter. To draw the conclusion that the important lesson here is only core bracing is completely false.

If I'm feeling particularly tight in my hips or ankles, I can perform a bw squat with maximal core that still isn't pretty. Does this mean that I'm not using my core properly? Absolutely not, it means that I'm tight in my hips or ankles.

It's a bad test.

Man of Honour
It isn't a great test, no, but it highlights a specific problem in isolation. Considering it is somewhat irrelevant given Barks' problems is moot because his core isn't stable full stop.

However, it DOES (imho) show the person squatting one small but important facet of core bracing, particularly given no one of you is there to poke him where required. ;)

Caporegime
I think it's half decent and simple at explaining something. If it isn't any good though I'll naturally stop linking it.

I was getting pretty bad tuck under a few months ago, doing extra core work has helped make me have less tuck under (prior to asking you guys about ankles/hip stuff)

And no, I can't think about what you said because that first line was like WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH over my head :p

Man of Honour
OP
It isn't a great test, no, but it highlights a specific problem in isolation. Considering it is somewhat irrelevant given Barks' problems is moot because his core isn't stable full stop.

However, it DOES (imho) show the person squatting one small but important facet of core bracing, particularly given no one of you is there to poke him where required. ;)
I just think there are far better tests.

The vast majority of people are going to be limited by some tightness somewhere, which is exactly what this test masks.

I'd say it's safe to say that most beginners need to learn how to use their core, so it ends up being quite redundant. Yes, I suppose you could use it as a proprioceptive teaching tool, but then you could also just practice bracing while hip hinging.
And no, I can't think about what you said because that first line was like WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH over my head :p
:D

I'm basically saying that you can practice the same movements with a bar on your back.

Associate
Some more deadlift practice for comment. I've put 4 sets up and I don't think my technique is constant from 1 set to the next! I'm aware my head isn't neutral on one of the sets.

I'm wearing even less clothes this week... next week will be speedos only. :D

Please tell me at least one decent rep somewhere in there! Should I be doing these technique sessions more frequently than once per week?

Deadlift set 1

Deadlift set 2

Deadlift set 3

Deadlift set 4

Last edited:
Associate
Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been asked. I have just started the gym with the intention of loosing my beer belly. I am doing about 45mins which consists of cardio, bike, treadmill and cross trainer, I also do some light weights, pull down bar and weights lift behind me.

So I'm looking for tips and techniques on how to best get rid of the gut. I have stopped drinking all together and am watching my carb intake.

6ft 3" and weigh about 14.5 stone.

Soldato
Some more deadlift practice for comment. I've put 4 sets up and I don't think my technique is constant from 1 set to the next! I'm aware my head isn't neutral on one of the sets.

Please tell me at least one decent rep somewhere in there! Should I be doing these technique sessions more frequently than once per week?

I'm just about to post my own vids for advice so I have nothing to offer there - but mirin your gym, looks a lot like mine! Real men workout in the dark and damp :)

Soldato
Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been asked. I have just started the gym with the intention of loosing my beer belly. I am doing about 45mins which consists of cardio, bike, treadmill and cross trainer, I also do some light weights, pull down bar and weights lift behind me.

So I'm looking for tips and techniques on how to best get rid of the gut. I have stopped drinking all together and am watching my carb intake.

6ft 3" and weigh about 14.5 stone.

Go in the sticky and find GordyR's guide to lifting, and give that a long read. Well worth it.

All you'll be told here is that lifting weights is far better for body transformation and better for losing weight. A lot of people who do cardio only end up looking like a smaller version of their fat selves, rather than looking in better shape :)

Associate
I'm just about to post my own vids for advice so I have nothing to offer there - but mirin your gym, looks a lot like mine! Real men workout in the dark and damp :)

Thanks. I wish I could say I was a real man but I mostly train at a ****** public gym for reasons I won't go in to.

Soldato
Here's my horrible DL vid - 5 x 125kg
I think my back is too horizontal as I lift. Googling around this suggests I am tight in my hips, glutes or most likely in my case, my Achilles. I have had operations on my achilles and they are definitely not as flexible as they should be (which causes me issues with my squats) but it seems to be affecting my DL as well. It makes it more of a back heavy lift? I also don't really lock out very upright, although it feels upright when I do it!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Hrm, lots to work on.

1. Your arms need to stay straight, don't try to curl the bar at the top.
2. Every rep needs to be reset, so no bouncing off the floor or not touching the floor at all.
3. Hip hinging, you needs it (read the past couple pages I'm sure it's come up a lot).
4. watch the video in the OP lots, and understand the lift.
5. don't pull the weight off the floor, imagine pushing the floor away from you.
6. Glutes, not even once. There needs to be some bar humping, your lock out is not happening.
7. drop the weight down while you learn.

Good work on getting a video up.

Soldato
I assume this was for me?! It's all great stuff, I think I knew it all deep down but it's always nice to get told straight out!

2. Every rep needs to be reset, so no bouncing off the floor or not touching the floor at all.
Agreed, that's a bad habit from ego chasing higher numbers.
3. Hip hinging, you needs it (read the past couple pages I'm sure it's come up a lot).
I've read it a lot and yep, clearly not doing it!
5. don't pull the weight off the floor, imagine pushing the floor away from you.
I felt like I was doing that at lower weights but not at higher, so your last point is confirmed.
6. Glutes, not even once. There needs to be some bar humping, your lock out is not happening.
As I said, I only just realised how little I was doing once I saw the videos.
7. drop the weight down while you learn.
Will do for sure
Good work on getting a video up.

Only way if you train on your own, and I really appreciate the advice.

Man of Honour
OP

Deadlift set 1

Deadlift set 2

Deadlift set 3

Deadlift set 4
Again, these really aren't bad.

Try to look at your bar path on some of the videos. Where it isn't completely vertical, the rep is worse.

You need to lose your tendency having your hips rise faster than your shoulders.

Apart from that, you're basically good, although you could probably move those weights a lot faster.

Here's my horrible DL vid - 5 x 125kg
I think my back is too horizontal as I lift. Googling around this suggests I am tight in my hips, glutes or most likely in my case, my Achilles. I have had operations on my achilles and they are definitely not as flexible as they should be (which causes me issues with my squats) but it seems to be affecting my DL as well. It makes it more of a back heavy lift? I also don't really lock out very upright, although it feels upright when I do it!

Bro

I don't like slamming people because it takes balls to post up a video, but those weren't even deadlifts. Everything was wrong, and you're wearing gloves.

It has nothing to do with tightness in your glutes or achilles, it's just poor technical knowledge and execution. Which is fine, because that's what this thread is for.

Go and watch the video in the OP, and perhaps watch some good videos from members on here.

From the start start:
Wearing gloves
Back not straight
Arms not straight
Reps not locked out at the top
Minimal glute activation
Bar is not at rest on the ground in between reps

Associate
Again, these really aren't bad.

Try to look at your bar path on some of the videos. Where it isn't completely vertical, the rep is worse.

You need to lose your tendency having your hips rise faster than your shoulders.

Apart from that, you're basically good, although you could probably move those weights a lot faster.

Cheers mate.

So you think I can start to add weight while trying to iron our the remaining issues?

Any thoughts on a fairly conservative/cautious sets/reps protocol to progress with?

Man of Honour
OP
I'd encourage progression, but would stop you in a month or so if you hadn't lost your bad habits.

+5kg a session will serve you nicely, sticking with 5 reps.

Back
Top Bottom