***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Soldato
I said it before, but as someone who trains in their own, you guys offering up your time and guidance is hugely appreciated

And looking again at last nights videos, my set @ 95kg was rather better. Still need more glute squeeze (have been tensing them with no weight during the day and I now feel a lovely sore bottom feeling :) )

Bit more practise tonight with a light bar and report back

Last edited:
Associate
Go in the sticky and find GordyR's guide to lifting, and give that a long read. Well worth it.

All you'll be told here is that lifting weights is far better for body transformation and better for losing weight. A lot of people who do cardio only end up looking like a smaller version of their fat selves, rather than looking in better shape :)

I am not really in to building muscle, justt want to loose the beer gut. I was thinking if I totally cut out the beer and cider plus watch what I'm eating the cardio would help?

Plus I'm useless at lifting weights!

Caporegime
The cardio will help yes, but you'll just end up looking like a skeleton would saggy skin on it. By all means do cardio, just do some weight as well, you aren't going to become Arnie over night, or a week, or after training for 3 years.

It will fill you out and actually make losing that beer gut worth it.

Soldato
I'm glutton for punishment (90kg reps)

Of the 7 things suggested, I think I'm not really hip hinging very well still or really feeling like I'm driving every rep down instead of pulling up but at least I'm locking out better and not wearing gloves! It felt different though and actually easier when I tried the 120 to test on the last few reps

Caporegime
Hm, your not engaging anything in your back before the lift, you just bend down and pick it up.

Straighten your back, engage your lats. Look at some more videos of guys on here and you'll see what I mean :)

Soldato
I found that a narrower grip really helped with feeling the BOR's my back. Also imagine pulling from the elbow, pro delvis tip, worked a treat, oh and slow them down, the negative at least.

Man of Honour
OP
I think the OHP and the BORs will make more sense as you slowly add weight. At the moment the BORs just aren't heavy enough to stress your back, but you probably don't want to load them up too quickly. Definitely try slow negatives, but make sure your shoulders are back.

The deadlifts actually look pretty good and it's clear you've remembered most of the coaching points, apart from the last video where you completely lose your upper back on the set up. On of the reasons you weren't feeling them as much is that you were basically doing a lot of singles rather than sets of 5. It's a confidence thing, you were fine with me pushing you, now you just need to work on speeding up your set up and rep turn over.

Associate
Okay so I'm on the fourth week of Stronglift 5x5 right now and thought I'd best post here (especially consdiering I was recommended to). Yesterday was Squats, Overhead Press and Deads, I'm bound to be doing a fair bit wrong so please help me out. :D

So, let's see how bad I'm doing.

/should be up in 5

Would it be worth recording tomorrows? (Squat, Bench Press and Barbell Rows)

Caporegime
My 2 cents.

Walk IN to the rack, so you're facing the wall, walk out backwards.

Deadlifts, take the slack off the bar before you pull, you're yanking it up.

You will also be told off about your feet on squats and deads :p

Associate
You deadlift stance and grip is way too wide. Your OHP grip is also too wide.

I will take that into considerationg Friday, will probably record then too for further feedback.

My 2 cents.

Walk IN to the rack, so you're facing the wall, walk out backwards.

Deadlifts, take the slack off the bar before you pull, you're yanking it up.

You will also be told off about your feet on squats and deads :p

I was told (by Mehdi none the less, the guy I was advised not to listen to ;)) that walking back after squats was best for a few reasons, it seemed to make sense to me. Is that completely wrong?

What do you mean by take the slack off? If you mean loosen my grip wouldn't that make the bar just drop?

You're right, been told off by Zefan so far, I'm sure there will be more. :D

Back
Top Bottom