***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
Better than before, but your lumbar is still unstable.

To fix this, the answer does not involve stopping squatting, but going more slowly and concentrating on locking your core solid. Do some hip pops to make sure you are keeping your core stable under no stress at all, and build from there (hip pop -> bar only -> slowly add more weight). All things permitting, this should probably take around half an hour.

By the look of things, you also need to get your posterior chain stretched to stop your pelvis dumping out.

Finally, don't push depth just because you want to: if your lumbar isn't stable, squat to where is starts to tuck and stop there... It is better to push from a solid foundation.

Man of Honour
What are hip pops?

Hip pop-ups. My bad. :D

Having just google'd this for a video, and not finding a single not atrocious example... The point is to lie on your back, knees bent, with heels tucked under your bum.

Find a neutral spine position (heard this described as when you can just about stick your fingers between your lumbar region and the floor underneath) and lock that using your abs and erectors. Once you have that position, feel an inch in from your pelvis and pinch hard: if this part of your core isn't on hard, you need to get it so.

Once you have your lock-down position, push your heels into the ground by squeezing your butt-cheeks together until your pelvis is in line with your femurs and knees. Then relax your hip thrust and return to your start position. Your core should be in exactly the same position you started, with a finger's gap between your lumbar spine and the floor. If it is not, rinse and repeat until you nail it.

Once you have this sorted, go for a squat with just the bar to just above parallel. Film yourself and see if your are tucking under. If not, sink a bit lower, etc. Find your best depth without tuck. Then start adding weight... Always remembering to keep that core locked.

When you squat, keep those knees out, abs on, etc. :)

Man of Honour
No worries! :)

Thing is, you are clearly strong enough to haul the weight around, but you just need to tweak your proprioception to where you can feel when stuff is right vs. when it's wrong.

Have you ever taken the time to find out what neutral feels like? Or how it feels to maintain it during a movement? Even if you have, it is very useful to strip back what you do from time to time to evaluate the very basics... My 'defrag' time coincides nicely with every foreign work trip I undertake... Roughly every m6 weeks. :rolleyes: :mad: :( :o

Associate
More issues with my squat :(

I occasionally get pain when going down for a rep at the top of my right knee. I was warming up today and got to 100kg when it started happening. I went back down to 60kg and it persisted. I'm sure my knees are tracking over my feet and that they aren't caving in. Maybe I'm just not sitting back enough and my knees are coming to far forward?

Associate
More issues with my squat :(

I occasionally get pain when going down for a rep at the top of my right knee. I was warming up today and got to 100kg when it started happening. I went back down to 60kg and it persisted. I'm sure my knees are tracking over my feet and that they aren't caving in. Maybe I'm just not sitting back enough and my knees are coming to far forward?

First of all, if you're getting pain, stop - go see a professional who is qualified to diagnose and/or treat the issue.

Secondly, what do you do in the way of soft tissue massage? Anterior knee pain is often associated with trigger points in the IT band (side of the thigh) and/or the bottom half of the quads (the meaty bit just above the knee). If you're not already, get in there with a foam roller, lacrosse ball or something and see if there are any nasties in there.

Lastly, read this and see how many of these you can realistically incorporate:
http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/is-there-such-a-thing-as-knee-friendly-squats/

Man of Honour
OP

*note to self; get wooden stick*
:( there is always something wrong with his coachings.

The good:
- wooden dowel is a great learning tool, highly recommended
- good head/neck position
- decent stab at dealing with shoulder external rotation and lat activation
- the fixes will result in decent PC activation

The bad
- coaching lumbar extension, while relevant in some cases, is a bad general cue due to the vast number of people who end up in over extension
- breaking at the knees first at the top (??!)
- not getting the best lat activation
- not dealing with a few other minor issue with that individual

Fixes
- Cue slight thoracic extension with a flat lower back, and use the lats/core to anchor in the whole system
This should naturally lead to healthy lumbar positioning, which will have some extension anyway.

- Screw shoulders hard externally down towards the hips, maintaining spine position
Boom, lats working

- From the top position, break at the hips sending your arse backwards while keeping your knees over your ankles
If you don't do this, you're likely to find your knees in the way on the way down. Once the bar is at your knees (the exact position will depend on limb lengths), maintain back angle and descend the rest of the way by sending your knees forwards.

Can anyone recommend some good IT band stretches?
Stretch your quads, adductors, hamstrings and glutes.

Seriously. There are some stretches for the IT band, but if you're accumulating tightness there it's likely that it's a downstream affect of the bigger muscles of the hips and knees.

Soldato
Ice/Dom would either of you be willing to offer some advice in person please? Don't think a video will suffice for what I need.

Please trust message if so. If not, could you point me to someone who can help?

Soldato
Sorry, a strength & cond coach to help with form on compounds as well as general advice, especially regarding shoulders as they feel a bit dodgy when doing pullups.

Vids only go so far, I want to talk through it someone and actually try various ways or performing lifts, say squatting, as it's all a bit wrong at the mo (well, I think it is, but not sure).

Ice said he can help but I get the feeling he's pretty busy. There is a guy in the gym who seems alright but I'd rather see a proper coach if poss.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom