***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Soldato
So filmed my dead lifts for the first time in a while and I'm not impressed. What am I doing wrong? It doesn't look right and it absolutely canes my lower back during the session. From what I can tell my back is rounding and my hips are going up too early.

Heavier Set

Caporegime
First thing's I notice.

- You're doing God knows what with your head (up, down, headbang) stick it in a position (neutral with your spine) and leave it there, you don't need to look in the mirror.
- You're back doesn't appear to be flat during setup, so it won't be flat during the lift.
- Yes, you're lifting your butt up first, try not to do this :p

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
but who was glutes.

I'd work on your hip hinge, build up your movement pattern using RDL then you should have a better base for doing deadlifts. Right now, you're basically pulling that weight off the ground with your back.

Man of Honour
OP
Watch the videos in the OP.

Stop letting your hips rise first. Back angle should not change negatively at all on the way up. Pick a weight that allows you to do this.

Have a flat back from start to finish.

Soldato
Is the starting position ok or is that wrong as well?

LiE RDLs look even more dangerous and whilst I'm sure they are highly beneficial in correcting the movement I feel a little intimidated to try them without proper instruction.

I don't know why I can't just bloody do it to be honest, I've been doing a lot of flexibility work since the summer, my core is a hell of a lot stronger, maybe I've just slipped into bad habits.

I'm going to stick with 70kg until the technique is sorted. I'll have a go again on Friday - my back is still pretty sore :D

Caporegime
Then do RDL's with the bar, you wouldn't do a max effort deadlift having never tried it before.

It's taken me probably 2 years to get what I would call a half decent deadlift, it takes practice dude. My squat for instance sucks, so I'm having to re-learn how to squat again effectively.

Soldato
Ice - Yes I've just watched them all again having watched them in the summer. I've taken some notes and realised I'm doing some things wrong but I still sometimes struggle to understand what they mean. Opening this, tensing that etc. The setup vid in particular was very helpful.

Delvs - I'm going to abandon lifting heavy completely with deads. I'm trying to bulk at the moment and have been making great progress elsewhere but dead lifts always leave my lower back messed up for about 2 days hence why I posted the videos. Squats and bench are coming on nicely now and don't leave me in pain despite me doing a lot of volume.

I think the main problem for me seems to be the initial drive off the floor, I just cannot stop my hips from moving upwards before my shoulders. From what I gather the bar is supposed to travel to your knees and at that point you then bolt your hips forward and tense the hell out of your glutes but the initial movement I seem to struggle to generate power or understand where it's supposed to come from. Should I keep my hips 'locked' until the bar reaches my knees and then thrust them forward?

Rome wasn't built in a day but mastering these things seems like a sodding art than a procedure you can just read out of a textbook :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Ice - Yes I've just watched them all again having watched them in the summer. I've taken some notes and realised I'm doing some things wrong but I still sometimes struggle to understand what they mean. Opening this, tensing that etc.
Then ask questions! If you read the last few pages you'll find other deadlift critique.
I think the main problem for me seems to be the initial drive off the floor, I just cannot stop my hips from moving upwards before my shoulders. From what I gather the bar is supposed to travel to your knees and at that point you then bolt your hips forward and tense the hell out of your glutes but the initial movement I seem to struggle to generate power or understand where it's supposed to come from.
Actually no.

It's a constant drive with the legs and glutes while your back and core works like crazy to maintain a stiff lever arm to your shoulders.

"How do I keep my hips down?" is simple:

1) Flat back with properly braced core
2) Have tension through your glutes from the start (spread the floor with your feet and externally rotate the upper leg)
3) Use a weight you can control

Soldato
See this is my problem. Call me a muppet or whatever but I don't understand that sentence.

My foot is flat on the floor and remains so throughout the move and I don't know what externally rotating the upper leg means. All I can think of is it twisting which isn't right!

Last edited:
Soldato
but who was glutes.

I'd work on your hip hinge, build up your movement pattern using RDL then you should have a better base for doing deadlifts. Right now, you're basically pulling that weight off the ground with your back.

You must become one with the hinge.

You're lifting & finishing the lift with your back, not your glutes & hips.

RDL's are not dangerous and are the easiest most logical approach to learn to deadlift properly & safely.

If people learned to RDL before they tried deadlifting they would have no problems transitioning.

Man of Honour
OP
When you say externally rotate the upper leg is this supposed to happen at the top of the move?

See this is my problem. Call me a muppet or whatever but I don't understand that sentence.

My foot is flat on the floor and remains so throughout the move and I don't know what externally rotating the upper leg means. All I can think of is it twisting which isn't right!

From the OP. It shows what was quoted :)
...this is why we watch the videos!

Back
Top Bottom