***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Associate
I'll try and film myself, been a bit lazy with training since I do it at home. Fail on my part for not checking the first post and trying to go through the thread backwards.

Soldato
ttnYKD0.png A4WwCpH.png

Spot the difference.

Maintaining a neutral spine will not only ensure that you still have a functional back at the end of 2014 :p but also allow you to recruit the primary muscles correctly and effectively hinge.

You can see you set up not too badly, hard to tell from the angle, but as soon as you start the first pull (which is a bit of a yank atm) your back pops/rounds.

I think Icecold will have addressed this earlier in the thread :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I try to keep it tight but I struggle to keep it locked it down when actually moving. I will look back earlier in the thread.

Like I said, that was the first time I'd deadlifted in quite a while, when I had done it previously I tried to sit back more so that the glutes/hams were activated more but that just caused me to rock and hips to rise before anything else.

Soldato
To expand on that further ^:

There are videos in this thread explaining a proper abdominal brace for squats/deadlifts. You need to draw air in using your diaphragm, not by inhaling in a regular fashion using the lungs/intercostal muscles which will results in the stomach flattening and chest rising. It does not entail tensing your abs and sucking your stomach in.

Man of Honour
Interesting: you pitch forward just as your break parallel.

I think the issue may be related to your bum-tuck and how your break parallel: your core bracing is being compromised slightly as your bum tucks under, and the forward lean happens as you try and "get lower" into the squat.

It happens in all three of the reps: you're just about to hit parallel and you lean forward, tuck your bum in and then grind back out... probably because your glutes are off and your trying to pull the bar back into the correct position. Looking at the bar path. your seem to draw a loop with it into and around the hole.

What causes this? I'm no expert, but I don't think you're keeping your back tight. Secondly, I think you're not consciously controlling your knees sufficiently, meaning your glutes turn off at the bottom (hurrr hurrr). This results (I think...) in your pelvis pushes forward through your knees (watch your knees during the bottom of the squat). As a result, you are losing a huge amount of elastic energy from your muscles making it harder to drive out the hole and preventing you from progressing.

To fix this, you really have to make sure you get your core position correct: keep your chest up (depending on your squat, this could also mean "elbows down) - even if it feels like you will fall backwards (the bar is behind you, anyway, so just dump it if you get twitchy). Secondly, make sure you always keep your glutes on: my coach recently tried a cue for my snatches which is "pull your knees up and out" during the a snatch: I found this initially restricted my depth as my glutes adjusted, and stayed 'on', which was unfamiliar as I'd gotten so used to just diving under the bar (incorrectly).

Just my two pennies. :D

Man of Honour
No feedback on OHP yet :(

Keep your shoulders pinned back: shrug at the top once you've locked out, by all means, but keep your shoulders stable during the actual lift to make sure you're hitting the right areas and not lining yourself up for shoulder injury. :)

Most of my time is spent push-pressing, so OHP is a bit alien to me. ;) :D

Soldato
Are you supposed to fully lock out on OHP? I was reading around that locking out on any exercise is supposed to be a no-no?

I've been getting elbow issues recently which might be linked to locking out. I am doing mwod stuff on them and they do also appear to be linked with forearm issues - which I am definitely suffering from.

Back
Top Bottom