Had a massive stroke jan 2020

Soldato
As per title,in the still quite early of2020(jan 15th I suffered a massive stroke on the right side of my brain;cue 5 weeks in hospital after a crainiotomy to allow the brain to swell without internally decapitatingthe brain from the brain stem, followed by 12 weeks in a rehabilitation care home. while there I had another operation to cover the resulting hole in my head with a titanium plate, this operation is called a crainioplasty
MY long term memory was not affected which is amazing in the regards the happy memories,which kept me going through some of this,but is also a little cruel because I can remember being perfectly normal,and not living out of a wheelchair as a result of the hemiplegia caused by the stroke
My left side just doesn't work any more!
I can't walk.
I cannot run.
Ican't type like I used to, nor can I move around in computer games
I cant drive, and, recently I began having fits/seizures effectively banning me from the road anyway, be it in a power chair or motor vehicle

Last edited:
Soldato
Sheesh.. not really sure what to say! I don't think I could deal with something like this. Props to you for staying strong!

I hope you can recover some mobility?

Caporegime
Tough break op, I couldn't even imagine it, you are stronger than everyone here already, keep going.

Touching on the gaming aspect (being a computer forum) there are ways people can game, be it with one hand or even no hands (saw someone gaming with their feet the other day), if that's something you wanted to entertain I'm sure people will be willing to help with what works best.

Keep going buddy

I haz 4090!
Don
Really sorry to hear this, I recognise you and the sig as one of the regular members. It's quite sobering how people can disappear from the forums and you don't realise.

You can still play Monkey Island with your right hand though can't you?!

Soldato
Sorry to hear this - my mother suffered a massive stroke sometime back a little over 2 years ago. It's a slow recovery process as you probably know, but things can improve. Wish you all the best.

@Threepwood - I can't begin to imagine how it feels with the loss of liberties. I do know one stroke survivor locally, and after 1-2 years, she was able to walk again and speak normally albeit a bit slowly. She and I went to a NYE party and joined in the festivities like everyone else, played board games, watched the fireworks, danced to music etc. The main thing she still wasn't able to do when I last met her was to drive a car. Fingers crossed though that you're heading to as full a recovery that is possible.

The only plus side I can think of though, is the timing of your stroke. 2020 as a year was a write-off from March onwards with numerous lockdowns due to the coronavirus pandemic. It's still ongoing now as you're well aware and we're only starting to come out of the woods now with our vaccine programme. But yeah, 2020 was just eat, sleep, work, repeat.

Caporegime
I know you probably meant well in writing that and fair play if the OP can drink (alcohol), but I can't help thinking that it is in poor taste.

@Threepwood - I can't begin to imagine how it feels with the loss of liberties. I do know one stroke survivor locally, and after 1-2 years, she was able to walk again and speak normally albeit a bit slowly. She and I went to a NYE party and joined in the festivities like everyone else, played board games, watched the fireworks, danced to music etc. The main thing she still wasn't able to do when I last met her was to drive a car. Fingers crossed though that you're heading to as full a recovery that is possible.

The only plus side I can think of though, is the timing of your stroke. 2020 as a year was a write-off from March onwards with numerous lockdowns due to the coronavirus pandemic. It's still ongoing now as you're well aware and we're only starting to come out of the woods now with our vaccine programme. But yeah, 2020 was just eat, sleep, work, repeat.
I’ve had a bad stroke too. That wouldn’t bother me at all. I’ve learnt to find humour in all sorts of adverse situations.

In fact, humour actually helps more than sorrow and pity

Back
Top Bottom