*** Half-Life: Alyx ***

Man of Honour
This looks amazing, wish my brain could handle VR :(

Tried PSVR and it just made me feel sick. I'm not talking a few minutes of sickness either, it literally sent my brain out of whack for days.

Could've been the FPS, but it's a lot of cash to invest into something that I simply cannot handle if I get the same problem with Occulus/Whatever.

How long did you play?

I think starting with VR you need to stick to short periods.

When i first got my oculus i played loan echo for about 3 hours and then was dizzy and couln't even drive for a couple of days.

I'm absolutely fine with VR but shouldn't have overdone it.

Really looking forward to this game. Have been chomping at half life bit for years. Hope it delivers.

Soldato
I haven't watched the videos yet, but assuming you're referring to 'teleporting' from place to place rather than moving smoothly, it's to stop you chucking up. :D

A lot of people have trouble with your eyes seeing you move around when your body knows you're standing still.

Many VR games do have it as an option though, so if you're not affected by it you can choose to have smooth movement.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Underboss
This looks amazing, wish my brain could handle VR :(

Tried PSVR and it just made me feel sick. I'm not talking a few minutes of sickness either, it literally sent my brain out of whack for days.

Could've been the FPS, but it's a lot of cash to invest into something that I simply cannot handle if I get the same problem with Occulus/Whatever.

you might have been sick because you need to get your VR "Legs", you cant just jump in at the deep end, you need to build it up , maybe thats why ?

Man of Honour

Not long left now... I won't be getting it right away. Got a GPU now but need a VR headset and Index looks to be the best solution but it's also the most expensive so want to see what is out there that works well with this first.

Soldato

Not long left now... I won't be getting it right away. Got a GPU now but need a VR headset and Index looks to be the best solution but it's also the most expensive so want to see what is out there that works well with this first.

I'll be jumping in with my Rift S so I'll be sure to update the thread with how I get on mrk :)

Man of Honour
Ta!

Worth noting HTC Vive Cosmos got released today and comes with Alyx for free. The Vive is made in conjunction with Valve too and uses external sensors. It's cheaper than Index and in stock, probably the next best thing to Index too I guess but still really expensive in terms of VR kit!

Soldato
Ta!

Worth noting HTC Vive Cosmos got released today and comes with Alyx for free. The Vive is made in conjunction with Valve too and uses external sensors. It's cheaper than Index and in stock, probably the next best thing to Index too I guess but still really expensive in terms of VR kit!

The vice cosmos has been out for a while I assume you mean the new swappable faceplate formats. It's still ultimately a worse version of the vive pro/index. I'm using a quest with link for now waiting for the next gen of headsets with wireless before committing the big money.

Soldato
The Pimax offers up the same tracking as the index, it's far more than a sim thing, though many take one for that because of the FOV. With that you can match up the Index controllers which would give you on par functionality.

The downers of the Pimax are mainly compatibility issues, the software support, and Pimax as a business. Personally id steer clear, but there are many that advocate the device. Take this with a pinch of salt as I've no experience of the device, but the Cosmos Elite is available. They pack it in with Alex and give you base station tracking. Most of the guff of the Cosmos was centred around poor tracking, but if you can negate that with external tracking on the elite, it might be good.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/htc-...lf-life-alyx-free-99hart001-00-vr-015-hc.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Big change in financial situation so not a chance of a new build for me, I'll just watch someone play this on YouTube or something now :p

Man of Honour
The vice cosmos has been out for a while I assume you mean the new swappable faceplate formats. It's still ultimately a worse version of the vive pro/index. I'm using a quest with link for now waiting for the next gen of headsets with wireless before committing the big money.

I was reading about the Cosmos Elite which only came out recently: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/the-htc-...t-today-comes-with-a-code-for-half-life-alyx/

The price as mentioned is close to Index though, but since Index has like an 8 week waiting list, this is probably the next best option.

Back
Top Bottom