*** Half-Life: Alyx ***

Soldato
Not sure if anyone else has clocked this but if you are part of "Valve Friends and Family Complimentary", you get this for free irrespective whether you own an Index HMD or the Index controllers.

I do own an OG Vive and Steam controller but have no idea how I've become part of the above yet HL:A is now in my library!

Soldato
What is with the "fast travel" when "walking"?

Oh, it is optional?

I haven't watched the videos yet, but assuming you're referring to 'teleporting' from place to place rather than moving smoothly, it's to stop you chucking up. :D

A lot of people have trouble with your eyes seeing you move around when your body knows you're standing still.

Many VR games do have it as an option though, so if you're not affected by it you can choose to have smooth movement.

Caporegime
This looks amazing, wish my brain could handle VR :(

Tried PSVR and it just made me feel sick. I'm not talking a few minutes of sickness either, it literally sent my brain out of whack for days.

Could've been the FPS, but it's a lot of cash to invest into something that I simply cannot handle if I get the same problem with Occulus/Whatever.

Soldato
This looks amazing, wish my brain could handle VR :(

Tried PSVR and it just made me feel sick. I'm not talking a few minutes of sickness either, it literally sent my brain out of whack for days.

Could've been the FPS, but it's a lot of cash to invest into something that I simply cannot handle if I get the same problem with Occulus/Whatever.

Worth checking if any local retailers around where you live do demos, a decent VR headset on a high end PC should be vomit free for most people.

Caporegime
Worth checking if any local retailers around where you live do demos, a decent VR headset on a high end PC should be vomit free for most people.

Actually the PSVR is 120hz (using interpolation)

Not many PC headsets are better than that, so if PSVR makes you I'll the PC isn't likely to be much better.

Soldato
Still not interested.

I've got to be honest, having gone back to replay HL2 last year, I hate City 17, I hate the Combine stuff and I hate the enemies. This just looks more of the same.

HL1, BS and OF however, I have a lot of time for them.

Soldato
Well it's not Half Life 3 for a start.

But lots of people upgraded their PCs specifically for Half-Life 2 (remember the ATI vouchers)?

If it's that good, it could help to sell VR to the masses

Though not if the Valve index remains at £919!

True, but that was just a case of justifying spending money on upgrades to play a game. Anyone who played Half Life, could also play HL2, if they had a PC capable.

Buying upgrades and a VR headset to play HL:A (and I wouldn't be surprised at some point to see HL3 also) is further to that, but for people who have problems with VR, it's a kick in the teeth not being able to play these upcoming games.

I'm not annoyed that the Half Life 3 will almost certainly be VR. It was more than likely going to happen, with VR continuing to improve and growing in popularity. Disappointed yes, but not finishing the HL2 story, then potentially selling any continuation to that as a VR, that annoys me.

Would be great if Valve conclude the story after Episode 2 as a non VR game, then start another story with HL3.

Back
Top Bottom